Return to Index  

Launch Numbers and Heel Hit Question

January 9 2011 at 9:48 AM

(Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Visited Golf Galaxy yesterday and was able to test my swing and some new technology. I hadn't done my workout yet so wasn't loose, but still was able to hit some great shots except for one thing.

I took the SSRTT radar with me as their launch monitor only shows ball speed and I wanted to get an idea on the quality of my strike. First the numbers, averaged from all the hits:

My driver: Club head speed 118, Ball speed 155 Launch 13 and spin 2900

Adams
Speedline: Club head speed 121, Ball speed 162 Launch 14 and spin 3100

I also hit the Taylormade and the Callaway, but they weren't even close.

They had a chart there which showed the ideal launch conditions for each ball speed and mine are in the ball park, perhaps a little low on the spin. Dispersion was REALLY tight and straight, with just a tad of a push, I was very pleased.

However, I wasn't happy with the smash factor. I don't know all there is about it, but basically 1.5 times your ball speed would be ideal. Mine seemed a little low. So I looked on the tape of the new drives I had hit, and noticed that impact was toward the heel, in fact not one mark on the center of the club face! It was ugly! I showed the pro this pro and he said "WOW...probably just getting used to the length." The only good thing about this was that it was consistent...all three drivers had the same impact area.

I left there wondering what kind of ball speed I would have gotten had I been able to hit the ball on the sweet spot! LOL It has been a long time since I did any impact monitoring with driver...I just hadn't give it thought, but now I was curious...was I hitting 'em all on the heel?

I decided to go old school Harvey Penick. I rigged up a hitting area in my garage with a blanket, dug out my "almost golf balls", and poured some flour in a dish. I whetted the face of my driver, and dipped a ball in the flour and teed it up. Took my normal stance and swung away with my "playing swing" - 122 mph and a nice flour mark on the heel! Again three more times, all on clearkey, all on the heel!

So, I changed my set-up so that at address I was inside the line by the appropriate amount I was missing - the toe of the driver was addressing the ball, not the sweet spot like before, and swung again....SAME THING! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

So then, I remembered that Moe sets his club down with the heel addressing the ball, and I have seen other pros do this too, so I figured what the heck, why not....Voila! Dead center, every time.

So what gives...is this purely a mind thing? Because the ball is addressed so far toward the heel it forces me to stay inside? BTW, with irons, I address the ball with the sweet spot, and that is where the dirt is, so what gives?

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

Respond to this message   
Responses