Return to Index  

Fitness levels

January 18 2011 at 7:58 AM

Mcirishman57  (Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to Bent elbows and space

Herbert: "So, unless I am missing something in technique it comes down to a lack of flexibility for me."

It all depends on what you are after, how much your bod can adapt and change, and how much you are willing to work at it. I am more flexible now at 53 than I was at 43. In fact I am more flexible than lots of way younger guys I play with in my league. I'm stronger now too. It has been a gradual progression that has happened as the years have gone on.

There is a TV commercial out for some arthritis medicine that shows a guy sitting on a porch swing..."A body at rest tends to stay at rest...a body in motion tends to stay in motion..."

I like that. I try to do something every day ( except for scheduled rest and recovery days ) fitness and health wise and make it golf related too. When I first started, I could barely finish 25 minutes on the treadmill and I was huffin and puffin at the end. Now I breeze through 35 minutes and barely break a sweat (higher rate of speed too) and then hop off and bang out my speed chain and over speed training for another 30 minutes giving me a nice fitness and golf workout. On non speed workout days, I bump up the treadmill to 45 minutes and throw in my stretches. It is not overtly "gym rat intensive" but this workout combined with a change in diet and lifestyle has allowed me to lose close to 30 pounds now in a years time - doesn't sound like a lot but the difference is that the weight is staying off.

My back is another thing. Since Peter first encouraged me to watch my hunching through impact, I have focused on on improving my spine angle and posture. When I first started this focus back in September, even one 32 ball session caused much lower back pain while practicing - new motions using muscles in a different way, but my lower back pain after was nil. Now, I can do my full golf workout, about an 1/2 hour of swinging, with no pain or discomfort at all during the session and I am not.

I also am noticing that in the morning when I wake up I have less of those morning aches and pains, and after some extra hard physical labor - like stacking a cord of firewood - I am not sore the next day. This never used to be the case.

So just want to encourage you to do something each day, and since you are a golfer make it something that gets a synergy going of fitness and improving your golf swing. You won't ever get to Dustin Johnson's level perhaps, but you can get a whole lot better....gradually and with a consistent focus.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

Respond to this message   
Responses