Re: PlaneMay 1 2011 at 1:14 PM
Herbert (Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001
Response to Plane
This video was interesting for me as it explained some things that I did know in a vague way but did not apply to my game very well.
Okay so what I am thinking is that if we have a perfect swing plane with the bottom of the arc aligned with the target line and the clubhead square at the bottom point then a shot with an iron hit with a descending blow will be hit with an inside out path and an open face and a shot with a driver if played forward in the stance with be hit with an outside in path and a closed face. This is assuming a perfect and repeating swing with no compensation. For instance Iron Byron. So it seems that the way to 'fix' Iron Byron so that he hits straight is to shift the alignment to the outside or a closed stance on the driver and to the inside or an open stance on the iron shot. Anything else requires swing or grip compensations. Is this correct? Or do we have to change the grip strength also???
So... if a person wanted to play every shot with the same stance and ball position swing compensations would be required. LOL news flash! Of course every pro knows this and all the books and so on have stance recommendations for the different clubs. Open stance with the irons and gradually squaring up to the driver or maybe even closed as Hogan recommended in 'Five Lessons'.
As for my game I have been hitting more balls then usual lately and I have noticed that I hit straighter by adjusting my stance for the different clubs. I had found that what felt like identical swings with my 3 wood and driver would produce a big pull hook with the three wood and and fade with the driver. I tend to play the 3 wood back in the stance a lot more then driver. Of course my swing is not very repeatable but I can see what I need to do to adjust my setup to to try to make it easier to hit the ball more on target without compensating with my hands. Should make my game a little better! I hope anyway...
- This is how it was explained to me. - Snowman on May 3, 2011, 1:50 PM
- Impact - Peter on May 3, 2011, 3:01 PM
- Re: Impact - Herbert on May 3, 2011, 3:25 PM
- SA - Peter on May 3, 2011, 5:44 PM
- Hmmmm - Herbert on May 4, 2011, 1:24 AM
- Micro vs Macro - Peter on May 4, 2011, 5:37 PM
- Stance vs. Plane - Herbert on May 4, 2011, 8:12 PM
- Yes again. - Snowman on May 4, 2011, 8:21 PM
- Agreed - Herbert on May 5, 2011, 2:30 PM
- Re: Micro vs Macro - Herbert on May 4, 2011, 8:19 PM
- Practice - Peter on May 5, 2011, 2:31 PM
- Yes - Snowman on May 4, 2011, 8:16 PM
- Found the Trackman article - Snowman on Jun 25, 2011, 10:12 AM