Return to Index  

The good old days!

July 5 2011 at 9:27 PM

(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

Response to 43" "the old standard length" ????

When I started clubmaking in the late 70's 43 inches was standard with steel shafts and persimmon or maple heads. Maltby was selling his 'Hero' driver that was 3 wood loft at 42 inches or less. I believe Tiger played a 43 inch steel shafted driver early in his career? So not quite 50 years ago...happy.gif

Taylormade drivers that I have seen are all 47 inches now days which is nuts imho. I played yesterday with a former club pro who played in college and has won some local tournaments etc. He had been fit with a Taylormade Burner just recently that was 47 inches long same as my R9. He is a hell of a player but he hit a lot of high right floaters with the new driver that looked to me like it did not fit him all that well. Makes me wonder about the fitting van and their launch monitor etc. Whats up with the white heads also? Do you like that look?

What length driver do you play? Have you tried shorter drivers? LOL I am curious to know if my experience with shortening up is unique to me...

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement