Return to Index  

Chazman's near fatal medical adventure.

April 13 2012 at 3:09 PM
  (Login Chazman)
SAGF Members 2000

I have been using the VA as my primary care for the last 6 years now. About 5 years ago my wife and I went to one of those private screening clinics that give you checkups for your heart and artery health.

During their screening, they found a large mass in my right abdomen from an ultra-sound. I took these results to the VA and after they checked it out with a CAT scan, they told me I had a seconday ureter on my right kidney.

When I aksed what they would do, they said "Nothing", unless you experience problems, leave it alone. This with a mass, 17cm, by 14cm, by 8cm.

Well I left it alone and have endoured the last 5 years with distended stomach and a weight gain to almost 300 lbs.

As recently as a month ago, I once again confronted my VA primary care doctor about this, and he said, "leave it alone". In the mean time the VA nutritionist is branding me a slacker for not being able to lose any weight while on bird seed type diets.

Well, about a month later I ended up in the hospital thinking I was passing a kidney stone. Tests showed that this "leave it alone" ureter had back up to the point where it had snaked it's way down to blocking off my prostrate and backing up the whole system.

Thankfully my Medicare Urologist was on the ball, and he taped the kidney and drained out 603 grams of poison and saved my kidney.

I ended up in the hospital for 10 days and lost 30 lbs while there, mostly from what had accumulated in the "leave it alone" ureter.

Scheduled now for followup endoscopic surgery to remove the "extra" ureter at the end of the month.

Since the removal on all this mass, my blood pressure is down to the normal range, and I going to have to adjust my diabetes meds, since less then 1/2 of my regular doses are giving me low blood sugar.

The VA is a perfect example of what O'bama care is going to look like if it passes the mustard.

Responses