Hi Kevin: good chipping tips!
Hi Don: If your sand is like our municipal course sand (gray,river bottom sand) that gets compacted,try this:
1. The shot is mostly an arm-swing,with quiet feet.
2. The ball is forward in your stance and your weight favors your forward foot.
3. Here is the part illustrated (poorly
by my diagram: You will play from an open stance and your club face will be open about 30-40 degrees. You will SWING OUT/AWAY from your target line,then you will pull the club down and across.
4. Try to hit about 2 inches or so behind the ball.
5. For longer shots,use a pitching wedge instead of a sand wedge.
Use the same cut-across technique out of a fairway bunker. The main difference is that you play the ball back in your stance,take one more club than normal and grip down about an inch. Look at the front part of the ball as you hit the ball. Of course,you don't hit behind the ball on a fairway bunker shot.