<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

There is a secret to golf

June 6 2004 at 11:12 PM
Boris  (Login BoristheRussian)

And most of you know it. It is called the 6/100 pre-impact postion. Get close to this position on your downswing on a fairly consistant basis and there is no reason you should'nt be able to play consistantly in the 70's and 80's (of course, assuming your short game is OK!)

If you don't know what 6/100 is, do a search on this forum. It has been discussed many times. But how many of you get there consistently?

I spend 10-15 minutes a day in front of a full length mirror practicing this position. When I get to my club, I don't go out to the practice range and beat 200 balls. Instead, I go into the locker room where there is a full length mirror and practice this postion for 5 minutes. Than I hit a few balls, putt for 5 minutes, and go.

When I get to the tee, I don't take practice swings. I rehearse 6/100. take it halfway back and than down and do it again. Than I swing just trying to make sure I do a full turn and keep a good tempo. I hit plenty of bad shots, don't we all?. But my bad shots are often in a spot that I can recover and at worst get a bogey or double. I can't remember the last time I got an 8 or 9 on my card. This is because I have a reference point that gives me a great deal of consistency---6/100. When I miss it, I am still relatively close, so my misses are not tragic.

I don't care whether you are single axis, HSS, CG, or whatever. It doesn't matter. Until you accept the fact that 6/100 is a pivotal position, you WILL be on a merry go round. You can try every grip, every wrist cock, every takeaway that has ever been published, and you still will not find true and lasting consistency. If you can get close to the ideal 6/100 position, just like the pro's do, this game gets really fun. And than you can concentrate on your chipping and putting. That is where you REALLY start saving some strokes.

Boris

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Julian
(Login coachz10)
SAGF Members 2003

I agree about the 200 balls is a waste of time, but forget the

June 6 2004, 11:30 PM 

mirror. Just buy some beer and head to the 1st tee. The beer will get your tempo right and after 5 or 6 it won't matter, but you will have a good time, that is what it is all about!!!.

Julian Zabielski
http://www.msnusers.com/singleaxisgolfforum/shoebox.msnwclick
5X FASTER ISP www.serviceonly.com/coachz only 12.95
WEBSITE www.ispvip.biz/coachz
E-MAIL coachz@ispvip.biz
PH. # 281-659-9360

Respond to this message   
Boris
(Login BoristheRussian)

Save the beer for after the round

June 7 2004, 1:17 AM 

Every time I have a brew at the "turn", my game goes south. Three weeks ago, I was shooting a 37 on the front at my club. New record for me. They were backed up at the 10th, and my buddy brings out 4 Corona's, two for him and two for me. Shot a 48 on the back. A great round gone to hell! Nope, I save the cerveza now for when my round is over!

Boris

Respond to this message   

bdog
(Premier Login bob2aa)
SAGF Members 2002

Re: There is a secret to golf

June 7 2004, 7:50 AM 

Here is a video of the getting to 6/100.

This message has been edited by bob2aa on Jul 24, 2004 6:49 PM

Respond to this message   

bdog
(Premier Login bob2aa)
SAGF Members 2002

Please let me know if this is working properly

June 7 2004, 11:21 AM 

It may take a few moments for the video to load,depending on your connection speed. Are both the audio and video working properly? Thanks,bdog

Respond to this message   
Golfquest
(Login golfquest)
SAGF Members 2004

Yes it is working

June 7 2004, 11:37 AM 

I am struggling to get there but the old body seems to want to do otherwise.

Respond to this message   

bdog
(Premier Login bob2aa)
SAGF Members 2002

Thanks for responding

June 7 2004, 1:02 PM 

Keep plugging away... Cheers,bdog

Respond to this message   
Boris
(Login BoristheRussian)

Great post

June 7 2004, 1:48 PM 

Thank you for the video and the stills.

I do the same drill every day and before I swing on the course. Only difference is I don't take the club all the way up, maybe just a tad above 6/100.

Do a drill like this with the help of a mirror and ingrain it. I can't think of a better way to correct your swing plane and hit them a whole lot further, but more important, accurately.

Great job

Boris

Respond to this message   
Peter
(Login sagf_moderator)
Owner

EXCELLENT POST !!!

June 7 2004, 9:09 PM 

Love to see ne techniques applied and excellent material.

Peter

Respond to this message   

bdog
(Premier Login bob2aa)
SAGF Members 2002

Thanks...

June 7 2004, 9:53 PM 

Thought you might like it Cheers,bdog

Respond to this message   
petearm
(Login petearm)
SAGF Members 2001

Mr X and hands ahead

June 7 2004, 5:44 PM 

I'm as close as I've ever been to the magical position. I have shortened my swing and re-read Mr X (the old Brit). In a slight modification of his grip taking advice, I swing 1/2 way back and allow the club to ride (longer thumb) - then grip. Basically his "cock and swing" advice.
This, combined with Peters elbow forward looks better than I ever got on video.
Also played a flawless 9 last night - hit every fairway, missed one green.
Playing Congressional on Thurs so hope it holds up. Nothing like innate confidence!!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement