<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Moe Norman site developed by Graves Golf Academy

December 12 2008 at 11:58 AM
Scott  (Login scottren71)

Just an FYI, Graves Golf Academy has developed and released a new website as a tribute to Moe. http://www.moenorman.org

The site contains pictures from Moe Norman's scrapbook that Todd was able to copy while in Canada with the blessing of the Norman family. This is the scrapbook started by Moe's mother, then continued by his sisters.

The site will be updated regularly with new Moe pictures, vidoes, etc., so bookmark and enjoy.

Scott

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Herbert
(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

Moe and a 2 iron

December 13 2008, 10:15 AM 

Notice:
Cupped left wrist at top?
Looks like a reverse weight shift, not very slantdicular on backswing?
Close to parallel at the top.
Nice pre impact position!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Ham
(Login hammeredit)
SAGF Members 2001

Of course....

December 13 2008, 10:55 AM 

Moe was not only the first single planer, he was also the first stack and tilter. wink.gif

Ham

Respond to this message   

Herbert
(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

I think

December 13 2008, 11:37 AM 

it was talent not technique that made Moe great.

I think that it is interesting that the various articles on the site seem to mention how fast Moe played more often then anything else. There are also several references to Moe being extremely smart, genius in mentioned several times. It is nice to get a look at what writers actually said about Moe at the time back in the day...

Here is another picture:
I wonder how much he got paid for the clothing add?
[linked image]

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Justin
(Login golfballhunter)

Did Moe have a lot of money?

December 13 2008, 12:33 PM 

I see from the promotional deals and other things
like clinics that Moe seems to have been well off
financially in his younger days.

What about stories about him sleeping in his car
and Titleist giving him 60k a year for the rest of his life?
Was he poor in his later years, thus the Titleist deal?

JC

Respond to this message   
Peter
(Premier Login sagf_moderator)
Forum Owner

Biography

December 13 2008, 12:41 PM 

From a couple of biographies it is clear tha Moe never had a lot of money and not too long before the Titleist 'grant' he was unable to support himself (friends held a fundraiser for him).

Peter

Respond to this message   

Herbert
(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

One of the articles

December 13 2008, 9:46 PM 

said that Moe was doing really well and had 200 grand plus a couple of Cadillacs... This was during his playing career.

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Ham
(Login hammeredit)
SAGF Members 2001

Moe and Money

December 14 2008, 4:53 AM 

At one point around 7 years ago or so Moe claimed to a bunch of pros to have around $900K+. His goal at that time was to be a millionaire. I think he probably made it.

Ham

Respond to this message   
Justin
(Login golfballhunter)

Ham, when you go out on tour, how long

December 14 2008, 4:47 PM 

do you think it will take you to become
a millionaire or are you one already? happy.gif

Caddies get 10% right?

JC

Respond to this message   
Ham
(Login hammeredit)
SAGF Members 2001

I think it ....

December 15 2008, 10:40 AM 

will probably take at least a few tournaments to reach a million. wink.gif

Currently I am at least a thousandaire. wink.gif

Ham

Respond to this message   
Justin
(Login golfballhunter)

Does anyone know the name or names of the pros

December 14 2008, 4:55 PM 

who told Moe to get his teeth fixed and
get some different clothes and basicially
scared him off the PGA tour?

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how well Moe
would have done on the PGA tour?

JC

Respond to this message   
cd
(Login birdbump)

Frank Beard

December 14 2008, 10:41 PM 

That's about how well he would have done.
Pretty darn well.

Respond to this message   
Justin
(Login golfballhunter)

i know Moe and Hogan both went to Florida in the winter season

December 16 2008, 10:01 AM 

did they ever meet there or play golf together?

JC

Respond to this message   
Peter
Forum Owner

Slantidicular

December 13 2008, 12:37 PM 

This was prior to the the Bertholy 're-connection' that Doug described. Combining these photos with some others you can see Moe's evolution to a 'slantidicular' position at top of swing.

Peter

Respond to this message   

Herbert
(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

Re: Slantidicular

December 17 2008, 7:30 AM 

To me this more proof of Moe's talent, it looks like he played very high level golf with a somewhat flawed swing.

It is interesting that Moe used a strong lead hand grip when he was young. Progressing from a strong lead hand grip to weaker one seems to be a rather common occurrence.

Anyone who wants to swing like Moe would be wise to check out the Bertholy Method and add the training to their practice routine.

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Remington
(Login Berettaii)

Interesting picture

December 13 2008, 8:48 PM 

Interesting picture. I have seen a lot of clips of Moe, but I have never seen him address the ball in this position. I have never seen him with a cupped wrist like that either. Interesting.

These pictures are static and appear to be contrived, which Moe (and the magazines) did in order to appear more normal? Almost all the pros of that generation would mislead, including Hogan...could that be the case here?

I would love to see some actual swing sequences of Moe between 19-26.

Have seen three golf mag presentations of Moe over the years, and none of them were accurate.

Too bad more of this isn't available, because he was an odd kind of celebrity in Canada in his younger years. Lot of pictures and film were made of him.

Doubting Thomas on this one.

Respond to this message   
Peter
Forum Owner

They are not static

December 14 2008, 12:21 PM 

and that is clear from the blurring of the hands in the 4th shot.

Peter

Respond to this message   
Remington
(Login Berettaii)

Static

December 14 2008, 5:36 PM 

During the time they made these shots, still photography did not have the ability to capture sequential motion, except with strobe photography so most of the shots (parts of the swing) were made individually, and most shots were posser shots (of the positions) over the years that these magazines were published. However, an individual shot could have been made of impact, but it would not, necessarily, be related to the other positions, as it would be independent.

Moe made several of these layouts, and many times he, reportedly, modified his posser positions to not look so odd.

Static or no static is not an issue for me. What is an issue for me is that set-up at address. I have seen him stand like that in posser shots until the 90's, but I have never seen him set-up like that in an actual golf shot in film (moving pictures). Not saying that he didn't stand like that at one time in his career...just trying to figure out when he did and if he did.

Respond to this message   
Peter
Forum Owner

You don't know...

December 14 2008, 8:48 PM 

how the pictures were taken or the equipment used. It was possible as early as the 30s to capture motion clearly as is shown in footage of Bobby Jones. The blurring of the hands in the 4th shot is not an opinion or a guess but an observable fact.

Peter

Respond to this message   
Remington
(Login Berettaii)

Do too

December 14 2008, 9:43 PM 

Actually, I do know how the golf magazine shot their photos in the old days:) The issue is not about fast shutter speeds to capture motion; the issue is about sequential sequencing, which was not possible back then, without strobes. Typically, each position in the swing was captured individually (with different shots from the camera), and the backswing pictures were, usually, in static position.

However, this information is immaterial to me. What I am trying to figure out is the address position. I have seen a lot of these static pictures of Moe, and he is standing fairly upright, but I have never seen him address the ball in such a manner, when he played. Secondly, I have never seen that cupped left wrist at the top of the backswing.

Not saying he didn't do that, just trying to watch the evolution of his swing through the years.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index