<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tried the HSS this week

May 26 2011 at 1:41 PM
  (Login garyt1957)

Well,my golf game has been so inconsistent,( hdcp flucuates from a 7 to a 12) that I've been searching for a new way to swing the club.

Ive recently tried GE's Right Sided, Trahan,yada,yada,. I found an old copy of the HSS book at home,it's been so long,I have no idea when I got it.

Took it straight to an empty course so I could try it out. Very promising start. I tried it with a conventionnal grip and the HSS grip,and also SA and more conventional. I didn't hit any hooks with any of them,but did hit some pulls when i rotated too early.

Distance started out quite good,but the more I played the less distance I got,as I felt myself losing the idea of what I was trying to do. Early on,I found it real easy to perform the swing. My first ever HSS swing was with a driver and found the FW at my usual distance. I got a little messed up later in the round,but definitely showed enough promise to get another shot if it ever stops raining.

Anybody else still using HSS? Doesn't really sound like it from reading searched old threads.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

Re: Tried the HSS this week

May 27 2011, 4:38 AM 

There are a few folks who use HSS or something similar still around I think. I used it off and on for a number of years.

Some things that I have found are:

A steeper backswing will solve the pulls and hooks for me.

If I keep the trail wrist bent back through the ball and to the finish and make the release sort of like a windshield wiper in front of me then I don't get the wrist pain that I seem to run into otherwise.

I have given up on it and am using an IMA lead hand grip with the back of the hand approximately parallel with the clubface with a double overlap trail hand grip. The main reason is that I think that the idea of keeping the club face square to the path on the backswing as recommended by HSS and Simple Swing is not so good. It is better to let the clubhead turn toe up at parallel to the ground on the backswing as most every pro does. Just IMHO...

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
MOEKNOWS
(Login MOEKNOWS)
SAGF Members 2000

HSS

May 27 2011, 9:15 AM 

I have used HSS on and off.A swing thought that I find helpful is to keep the trail hand underneath the lead hand til after impact.

Respond to this message   

(Login garyt1957)

Re: Tried the HSS this week

May 27 2011, 5:24 PM 

I'm really looking forward to giving it another go,if the weather would just improve.

My nephew just called me,he wants to go hit some balls as he (a non golfer) is playing in a scramble from work next week. i think I'll show him the HSS, as I think it may be a good way for a total beginner to learn quickly to at least hit a solid shot.

Respond to this message   
Swing Like Moe
(Login gsw)
SAGF Members 2006

HSS does work if?

May 28 2011, 3:41 PM 

You can learn not to roll over your fore arms before impact. No matter what version of SA golf I feel that I am using I still try to hit the ball without very much rotation. One way that works for me is to play the ball back in my stance so that I can trap the ball before my arms try to rotate. The down side to playing the ball back in my stance is that it is very hard to hit the longer clubs such as a five wood or a three wood and get the ball up in the air. If you can make HSS work then go for it, in golf it is not how you play but how many strokes you take.

Stan

Respond to this message   

(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

You must be crazy!

May 28 2011, 6:02 PM 

in golf it is not how you play but how many strokes you take.

You are sadly mistaken, in golf it is your y impact position with correct spine angle! It is your 6/100's position, lag, weight shift, swing plane, clubhead speed, centered contact, swing path, trail elbow in front of the hip, master move, body coil!

What in the world are you talking about with strokes taken??? I have never heard of such a thing!

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
Swing Like Moe
(Login gsw)
SAGF Members 2006

I am crazy and I know the secret of golf.

May 28 2011, 10:55 PM 

I learned it while watching an old Shell World of Golf show. Sam Snead was putting side saddle and the announcer asked him what the secret was to his putting. Sam's response was "Secret? Just get the ball in the hole". That is the same secret to the entire game of golf, not just putting.

Stan

Respond to this message   
Jerry
(Login thinkin2)

The real secret to enjoyable golf...

May 29 2011, 10:29 AM 

is to go out without a scorecard. Of course, that rules out tournament play but what the heck, I haven't played in a tournament in over a year and have no more plans to. Sometimes I go out for just 9 and sometimes 18 but have finally learned to forget about the score and just enjoy the company, the scenery and the good shots. It's not that I can't still play okay cause I can still shoot low 80's to upper 70's most of the time. But I'm just not bound anymore by trying to achieve more than what I listed above. This has put the fun back into the game for me. But at 64 I guess my priorities have changed a bit, lol, and the roses do smell nice.

Respond to this message   

McIrishman57
(Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

36 Holes

May 29 2011, 11:10 PM 

is all I have got in so far this year....soggy....soggy.... soggy. league has been cancelled 3 times. I can barely find a place dry enough in my neighborhood park to hit birdie balls..forget about regular ones! They would be easily lost in the unmown grass or plugged.

REALLY makes you appreciate the game and what it is for you when it is taken away....I agree that it will be nice just to go out, hit it, and go get it. Suppose to play tomorrow...."cart paths only". Will make for a 6 hour round...but what the heck...I'm doing it.

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Tried the HSS this week
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement