<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tiger says he lost it today when he went "Clearkey"

August 11 2011 at 6:04 PM
Swing Like Moe  (Login gsw)
SAGF Members 2006

Tiger Woods started out his round today by going three under par for his first five holes. He then went ten over par for the next thirteen holes. Later in his press interview Tiger said that he went three under while thinking mechanical thoughts while swinging the club. Tiger also said that he then decided to just go to playing subconscious golf and try to trust his swing (Clearkey) and that is when he lost the round. This is just the opposite of what we have been discussing here on this forum. I guess Tiger does not have his new swing ingrained enough to go "CleraKey" yet. I wonder what Tiger would have shot if he had continued to play with the mechanical thoughts? Lets see three under after five holes? That would work out to about ten or eleven under after eighteen holes instead of seven over and out of the tournament.

My point here is, that the mechanical part of the swing must be learned before we can go to the subconscious side of golf. I think Tiger just lost his swing and did not know where the ball was going and tried to blame it on going to subconscious golf.

This is in no way a slap at ClearKey as I truly believe that to play good golf a golfer must get to the point where his only thought is to see the shot and then go out and hit that shot. It just seemed odd to have probably the best mental golfer of all time use the excuse that he lost his round when he tried to go to his ClearKey style of golf.

Stan

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

mcirishman57
(Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

No way

August 11 2011, 6:26 PM 

That is not clearkey...not even close. I read the same thing Stan, and what Tiger describes is only a vague representation of what it means to play on automatic using the Clearkey process and the automatic principle.

Tiger didn't say he blew up by using his Clearkey....he said he quit thinking mechanical thoughts and just tried to play by feel. That is not using the clearkey process.

I do agree with you though that playing on automatic without firmly ingrained habits will yield poor results. Also, trying to play golf while building your swing or changing it often leads to "system confusion" so that when you play your subco.scions has difficulty selecting the best "motor pattern" as Tiger would say.

Tiger is not using the Clearkey process.....but he should!

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

Respond to this message   
Swing Like Moe
(Login gsw)
SAGF Members 2006

Re: No way

August 11 2011, 10:04 PM 

I know it was not ClearKey Tiger was using. But isn't ClearKey a way to put your swing on automatic and just try to play your best golf without thinking mechanical swing thoughts?

Stan

Respond to this message   

McIrishman57
(Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Often, things get

August 11 2011, 11:00 PM 

over simplified. There is more to the Clearkey approach than just saying a few words while you swing to take your conscious mind to a place that is "other than golf".

It is understanding the automatic process, what it is, how it works. It is playing a swing and a game that is true to who you are as a golfer, not someone else. It is understanding when there is a need to fix something and also to know that when it's "built it's built" and just go with it.

And lets be clear ( no pun intended ) - Just because Tiger says he went to subconscious to subconscious doesn't mean he did. LOL I have often thought of Tiger as a "super model" that many of us normal golfers are. We move from method to method, swing to swing, trying to get it better. Tiger has done the same thing, albeit at the highest of skill levels. I mean, how many times has Tiger re-tooled his swing? Each time purportedly to make his game more solid. Sure...like Tiger couldn't have won the rest of those majors with his original swing? Ya think? Someone here posted a while back that the pros could use any swing method...if them, then Tiger 10 times them. He's won several majors each with several different swings.

Tiger's issue is highly tied into the whole mental emotional game. He has lost his center, I believe both spiritually and with his game. He has forgotten how to live, and he has forgotten how to play. Tiger should abandon all swing coaches, and find him a Phil Jackson golf version to get in his head and set everything back in place so Tiger is once again free to play. Tiger needs to think clearly, about his swing, his game and his life. Things are pretty murky still.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

Respond to this message   
Swing Like Moe
(Login gsw)
SAGF Members 2006

Good Points

August 12 2011, 12:42 AM 

I also think that Tiger would have been much better off if he had stayed with his first swing coach and just played the game. And you are right when you say that Tiger has lost his center. When your life is not in order then it is hard to get your golf game in order.

Stan

Respond to this message   

Herbert
(Login gHerbert)
SAGF Members 2001

Re: Often, things get

August 12 2011, 2:19 AM 

I think that Hogan is an interesting contrast to Tiger. Hogan played golf out of desperation and he built a swing with only one purpose which was to win. He also revamped his swing late in his career to get rid of the hooks. He used a process of elimination to determine what worked and threw out what didn't work. Once he had a swing that performed he did not consider revamping it again to make it 'better'. He just went about practicing and winning. He said that his swing was not the best and that others had better swings. He was not interested in changing things that work.

I think that Tiger was the opposite of Hogan in that he grew up winning and never had any worries about where his next meal was coming from. He is looking for a perfect swing and like you said he is a 'super model' of the rest of us. After reading Jack Nickaus's book I thought the same about Jack. I could not believe some of the things that he used for swing keys and so on. Amazing what talent can do for a person!

As for me I am just like Tiger except the opposite of 'super model'. If I lived in a world of athletically challenged dorks I would be the greatest golfer in that world and life would be easy!

Regards, Herbert

Respond to this message   
cd
(Login birdbump)

He should

August 11 2011, 7:40 PM 

call David Duval for advice. happy.gif

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement