<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

getting better

August 18 2011 at 12:53 PM
cd  (Login birdbump)

I think we all know that when we go out and shoot 90 that something is fundamentally wrong with our swing. Thinking about the touring pros, there are short guys, tall guys, fat guys, wimpy guys and even old guys who successfully compete. I am thinking now that proper technique is maybe more optical than it is physical. So I need to change my swing; what can optics do to lead me to an effective change?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom
(Login Roverii)

Optics

August 25 2011, 2:41 AM 

Suggestion for achieving better scores through better optics:

Every time your optic nerve detects a 5 or a 6 on your score card, immediately change the number to a 3 or a 4.

Tom

Respond to this message   
cd
(Login birdbump)

:)

August 25 2011, 8:36 AM 

Now that is funny.

Respond to this message   
Swing Like Moe
(Login gsw)
SAGF Members 2006

My experience with optic deficiencies

August 25 2011, 11:40 AM 

CD

Because the topic of your post is about optics and the effect of optics on the golf swing I thought I would chime in with my experience regarding my optic experience with the game of golf. I cannot comment on the optic effects of the golf swing but I can share my experience with optic alignment on the greens when it comes to the putting stroke. Back when Sam Sneed was putting side saddle and still winning senior golf tournaments I was playing in a small local golf tournament and I was paired with a gentleman with a first name of Duane. The man putted side saddle (Sam Sneed style) and he putted pretty well. After the round he told me that he putted that way because he was completely blind in his left eye and that was the only way he could see the line of the putt. I soon took up the side saddle way of putting and have used it for the most part ever since that day. I have tried many times including this golf season to go to some form of normal putting. I have tried to use a belly putter, a conventional long putter, the Hammy putter, and a number of normal length putters. I have used every grip know to man and Vijay Singh (believe me Vijay has also tried every grip imaginable) all with poorer results than when I putt side saddle (Sam Sneed style). A few years ago I decided that I was going to have my eyes surgically corrected so that I would not need glasses or contacts to see well. The eye doctor examined my eyes and told me that my optic nerves were damaged and that I had a problem with my vision. Subsequent field vision tests proved that I have a blind spot in my dominant right eye that has cost me 60% vision loss in that eye. This explains why I cannot seem to putt well with a convention stance and why I putt better (still not very well) with the side saddle stance. So for me my compromised optics have forced me to modify the way I putt.

Stan

Respond to this message   
cd
(Login birdbump)

Thanks Stan

August 25 2011, 12:03 PM 

I have recently had my eyes examined and I still have my
usual myopia and astigmatism. I don't know if that means
anything to the golf ball.

As for putters, I too have tried everything that VJ has tried
and I always come back to my trusty acushnet bullseye. That's
the only weapon that has fit my eye for 35 years and I'm only just
recently using it with some expertise.

When I started playing golf I had to turn my head way over to the right
to get a good optical feel. Over the years my head has gradually moved
back toward center and I even find myself sometimes turning it
a little toward the target like Duval. Something optical is going
on but I don't know what.

Respond to this message   
Tom
(Login Roverii)

Re: My experience with optic deficiencies

August 25 2011, 6:04 PM 

From the time I took up the game until I found an optometrist who was willing and able to experiment with glass lenses I always addressed my putts with the face closed to the line. Of course, to me the face appeared to be square, but evidence showed that in fact it was not. Consequently, I had to push or cut my putts slightly in order to get them into the hole. I was a poor short distance putter. No amount of experimenting with equipment or with putting techniques or with attempted compensations solved my problem.

I had heard of a young optomitrist in a nearby town who could do remarkaable things with lenses, so I walked into his office with my putter and showed him how closed the face was to the intended line. He performed a number of measurements and tests and he devised two special lenses using unorthodox prisms which he mocked up on the spot. The trial glasses seemed to fix me up, so I ordered a pair for real. The lenses were very large and quite thick but my severely near sighted and severely astigmatic eyes worked just fine on the putting green from then on, and my fear of 4 footers became no more pronounced than anyone else.

The moral of the story: If you can't easily and confidently line your putter square, then you can't hole putts with consistency.

Tom

Respond to this message   

McIrishman57
(Login mcirishman57)
SAGF Members 2001

Barking up

August 25 2011, 4:29 PM 

one of the trees..sorta. I think the thing that separates most tour pros from the winners, and those that win less ( cause they all have great swings and games as you noted or they wouldn't be on tour ), is the mental game 1st, and in a close second, the short game and putting.

I think it is the same thing with us, though even more so cause we are worse ball strikers and most of us don't have near the mental game we could have, both in terms of strategy and process.

You can shoot 80 (tour) 90 ( us) and have a pretty good swing, just ask Tiger or John Daly. Or me happy.gif

I was talking with Hawk ( moestheman here ) earlier today about this very thing....a while back I was even par going into the 9th hole in my league, I popped my drive up and tried to hit a three wood from a downhill side hill lie to carry a creek about 200 yards yards. It bounces it front and into the creek. Luckily ( I foolishly thought at the time ), the ball was lying on a tuft of creek grass as the water rolled by below. This was a stroke hole, and my opponent was 90 yards away laying two. I was ahead by 4 points so the only way I could gain any more points was to blast out, wedge on, and hopefully make my putt. He simply had to wedge on and two putt, and even if he got down in three for a six, and I managed to par, we would still just split the hole and the points.

So I decided to give my best John Van de Velde...I got my sandwedge on the ball but executed it "too good". It flew straight up in the air right back down into the creek! In on three, out on four hitting five. I had to drop in deep cabbage and barely chopped it out of that mess, flew my 7 iron over the green, hit a bad chip on and two putted for a smooth 9, to finish strong with a 9 for a 40...SAWWWEEEET.

Optically speaking though, I think many regular players have no real set procedure or method for aiming and setting themselves in proper alignment for each shot. The just sorta line up to the ball and hit it...without really knowing but in a vague way that they are aligned properly. Coincidentally, I just made a video about this and once it finishes uploading I will give the link.

Kevin

Never quit til you have a swing you'll never forget!

Respond to this message   
Snowman
(Login Snowman9000)
SAGF Members 2006

Alignment

August 25 2011, 7:11 PM 

Poor alignment is the biggest deficiency by far among recreational golfers.

Respond to this message   
cd
(Login birdbump)

Vision help?

September 1 2011, 11:33 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on GolfCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement