Return to Index  

Price of liquid nitrogen depends on continued production of oxygen for steel & space prog.

June 8 2004 at 5:21 AM
Rick [L I Q U I D - N I T R O G E N]  (Login recreation)
Forum Owner
from IP address 209.240.205.63

I've been thinking about the price of liquid nitrogen. CI, ALcor, and TT use Ln2 in fairly large quantities to keep cryonauts preserved. The price of Ln2 is relatively cheap right now, according to the internet sources I visited using Google and keyword "price of liquid nitrogen", because Ln2 is byproduct of liquid oxygen production. And LO2 is used in the manufacture of steel and in rockets to get into space. Since LN2 is 4/5 of the atmosphere, any LO2 production creates 4X as much LN2.

But what if, in the future, we were able to get into space without LO2 rockets? And what if we were able to get high temps needs for steel production without LO2 as well? That would lead to price increases in LN2. Since we need to bathe in LN2 for perhaps hundreds of years, as cryonauts, the problem of LN2 pricing is not without possible consequence. This is one reason why Alcor's pricing is perhaps more reasonable than CI's. It's concievable that CI would eventually be unable to sustain LN2 support of cryonauts due to the marginal difference in LN2 cost and income derived from investmenting the funds provided by the cryonaut before deanimation. Of course, the same holds true for Alcor but the margin for error is much greater at Alcor.

No cryonics firm today liquifies its own nitrogen because there is essentially no need for any cryonics firm to liquify oxygen. However, in the future, it might be wise for cryonicists to participate in the LO2 industry so that we have a handle on the situation from the inside. One way to sustain a low LN2 price is to help promote and develop new uses for LO2, such as more steel production, especially within the US. The uses to which steel can be put are practically unlimited but my favorite is a world wide system of maglev rails.

The price of liquid nitrogen and the manufacturing methods and big picture view of what we're due to rest in for a few centuries has been scantily reported on in the cryonics journals and magazines over the years, yet it's a very interesting area that, if covered in greater detail-- including the areas of controversy-- would draw interest from physics majors and others involved in engineering. Cryonics lies at the intersection of many areas of science and philosophy. Cryonicists who would like to see more people join the movement would be well advised to investigate areas like liquid nitrogen physics and economics in much more depth so that new prospects may find their particular fascination with cryonics more easily, apart from the obvious idea of having a crack at physical immortality.

Futurenaut is a forum that deals with radical pro-longevity, pro-cryonics, pro-population, pro-nuclear, pro-fusion, pro-progress, pro-maglev rail, non-transhumanist philosophy, politics, economics and daily living issues. [+]

This message has been edited by recreation from IP address 209.240.205.62 on Oct 31, 2004 6:29 AM

Respond to this message   
Response TitleAuthorDate
 Maglev rails would lead to cheaper LN2 & cheaper cryonicsRickOct 18, 2004, 7:35 AM
 Where do CI and ALCOR get their LN2 and how much does it cost?RickOct 31, 2004, 5:44 AM
 James Dewar et al first made LN2 in 1898!!RickOct 31, 2004, 5:50 AM
  Photo of James Dewar!RickOct 31, 2004, 6:24 AM
   photographyTWrelatedOct 31, 2004, 8:17 AM
    turn of which century-- 19th or 20th?RickOct 31, 2004, 9:39 AM
 Historical chart of liquifying gasesRickOct 31, 2004, 6:26 AM
 Relinquishing cryonicsMark PlusOct 31, 2004, 8:05 PM
  So why not relinquish cryonics now and...RickNov 1, 2004, 7:18 AM
  Competing sources of energy will lower price of oilArthur Digby SellersNov 1, 2004, 6:25 PM
   Mark argues that we haven't started nuclear in time and...RickNov 1, 2004, 6:55 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement