<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

I was utterly wrong about how standby v.s. geoproximity to a lab would evolve.

November 25 2004 at 4:23 AM
Rick [S T A N D B Y]  (no login)
from IP address 209.240.205.62

Originally, I thought Alcor members or cryonics members would coagulate and make lives and their livlihood in and around cryonics labs areas, making themselves geoproximate to the lab in case of deanimation. I especially thought retired cryonics members would create a hotel near the lab where anyone, like me, or students, could book cheap rooms, meet girls and party. I thought cryonicists would flock to cryonics labs like fans followed the Grateful Dead. I thought I would have a band called the Grateful Frozen. I guess I've read too much science fiction-- or not enough.

Reality has turned out to be that living around cryonics labs is horrible. Scottsdale is horrible. It's truly terrible-- an urban area that reaches the surface temp of the planet Venus in summertime-- traffic congested by car sales of 500,000 new cars a year in a city area of 2 million-- and proud of that-- with no public transportation worth anything. It's not a good area-- and there is no place for cryonicists. Dave Pizer's Ventureville doesn't exist, despite Dave's claims about his future plans. Cryonicists who come to Scottsale to deanimate have to find their own place, and make their own arrangements, while dying. Timeship doesn't exist. Cryonics insiders can't talk due to gag orders so there are no cocktail parties, get togethers or anything resembling conferences.

Instead of cryonics labs being areas where cryonicists develop socially livable portholes to the future, what seems to be occurring is that the standby-outreach situation is coming along much better. Of course that plan didn't help the October cases, but maybe that's because they missed their boat by a few months. It's going to be very interesting to see how the near future standbys work out. I personally don't quite understand how $10 a mo. can pay for $20K worth of standby-- I'd like to see the numbers on that. I'll trust that that's feasible for the moment.

The startling thing, to me, is that I was so wrong about how cryonicists would generally make the areas around a lab livable. It's no different around any cryonics lab-- whether it's CI, Alcor, or ACS/TT or any lab in Florida-- today than it was in 1984 when I first visited all the cryonics labs. Twenty years has done nothing to improve the geoproximate areas around cryonics labs for the livability of cryonicists. My prediction that this would improve has been one of my own greatest miscalculations. Despite my seeing it, I still can't believe it.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement