Return to Index  

Adjustment of Status--required and optional contents

January 28 2013 at 8:15 AM
Ray B  (Premier Login rbacon1)

The Adjustment of Status submittal, used to apply for Permanent Resident (Green Card) status, has very specific requirements for what needs to be submitted. In addition, however, there are "recommended," sometimes optional, items to be included.

REQUIRED (stipulated) contents of the Adjustment package, are:

1. Submittal fee, $1,070 (as of January, 2013, but could change anytime).
2. Form I-485.
3. G-325A for applicant.
4. Two passport-style photos (attach to G-325A).
5. Copy of I-129F approval Notice of Action (Form I-797).
6. Copy of marriage certificate.
7. Copy of I-94.
8. Copy of visa.
9. Copies of birth certificates of applicant and petitioner.
10. Other proof of petitioner U.S. citizenship, if not born in the U.S.: Naturalization Certificate, U.S. passport ID page, Certificate of birth Abroad, etc.
11. I-693, immigrant medical exam in sealed envelope, from USCIS-listed doctor (Note: full medical exam is required if prior exam was a year or more past. Update only if prior exam less than a year past. Copy of vaccination document from medical exam abroad will sometimes be accepted, but might also generate an RFE for a full new medical exam).
12. Copies of divorce, annulment, or death certificates of prior spouses of petitioner and applicant.
13. I-864, Affidavit of Support, of petitioner, copy of most recent Federal income tax return, W2 or 1099-MISC, RR forms, employment verification letter.

OPTIONAL (and recommended) content items (based on anecdotal RFE requests from USCIS):

1. G-325A with two passport-style photos of petitioner.
2. I-765 (Application for Work Authorization), which will allow SSN application and interm work approval until Green Card is issued. Include two passport-style photos, copies of I-94, visa and K1 approval NOA.
3. I-131 (Advance Parole application), to allow reentry to the U.S. after trips abroad, until Green Card is issued. Include two passport-style photos, copies of I-94, visa and K1 approval NOA.
4. Copy of ID page of applicant's passport.
5. Co-sponsor I-864 or I-864A, proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency, most recent Federal income tax return, employment verification letter, W2 or 1099 forms.

--Ray B

 Respond to this message