Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Building a 9 inch housing - Dial up warning 20 pics

December 3 2006 at 3:32 PM

Mario428  (Login Mario428)
Members

Last winter I designed a sheet metal 9 inch housing with some help from Mitch Perkins (Thanks Mitch).

This was the original design rendered in 3-D

[IMG][/IMG]

I built one for a friend who used it thru the summer with no issues. T-Bird was ready for its housing so I started building thought i would document the steps as I went.

I will start with a proviso, I am at best a semitalented fabricator and welder so bear with the fits and welds please. :D :D :D

This shows most of the pcs it takes to build a housing

[IMG][/IMG]

I got started late with the pics so the first pic shows the front plates welded together, the bulkheads and tubes installed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Detail of bulkheads. the bar going thru is my housing jig, pot has bushing installed to align bar. everything comes off the bar.

[IMG][/IMG]

Installed the 4 link brackets next (design courtesy of Mitch again thanks)

[IMG][/IMG]

Shock spuds goes in now to keep brackest from moving too much

[IMG][/IMG]

Upper housing plate next

[IMG][/IMG]

The middle side plates

[IMG][/IMG]

Discovered I had torch cup and tungsten issues about now, welding has been much better

Pic shows outer plates installed and centre plate welded top & bot

[IMG][/IMG]

Using the 3-D software gave me a shape I could use to cut rear braces from tubing on my laser

[IMG][/IMG]

The fitting shows the difference between the optimum 3-D software and my reality, the brackets were off a bit

[IMG][/IMG]

Now a 1 1/4 tube between brackest and housing to brace things

[IMG][/IMG]

Then a 3/4 tube to use for tie downs and further bracing, interesting bending. Only took mild force to get it in in 1 peice. :D :D

Pic shows the alignment bushing I make to keep tubes in place. After the housing I built last year moved so much I guesstimated 1/8 of an inch preload would make final fairly straight

[IMG][/IMG]

After welding everything there was to weld this shows how the alignment came out, pretty good guess. :cool: :cool:

[IMG][/IMG]

Housing ends go on last using adapters I machinined years ago. The housing end is bolted to the adapter while welding. After welding the adapter should slide in to prove proper alignment

[IMG][/IMG]

This is where this housing changed a bit from my normal method. I wanted the brace to go to the housing end so I fitted the last peice very tightly and then welded. Did move a bit but the alignment adapters still go in.

[IMG][/IMG]

2 pics of finished housing

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Lighter and somewhat stronger than a stock type housing. The stronger comes from the bulkheads supporting the tubes as close to the pot as possible. Also the various braces installed.

I do have to install some tabs and brackets yet, wishbone, anti-roll bar and wheelie bars but they all go on flat surfaces so minmal effect from welding.

Hope you had a fast internet connection to get to here.

Respond to this message   
Responses