Oil Leak,my head hurts.....August 10 2012 at 3:40 PM
I strugled with oil running off the front of the block plate and migrating to the area of the oil pan above the cross member,steering drag link. The curve of the oil pan.
The car is a 68 Mustang, one of Barry's stroker kits,4.125 stroke 4.07 bore (.020 over 390) in truth it is a 61 352 block.
I'm running a Canton Pan and windage tray.
I don't have a valve cover leak and the intake is sealed with T-31. I've dabbed around the parting lines with a paper towle and it remains clean.
If I clean the oil off the pan,block,well everything and drive the car as little as 5 miles I get a 1/2 dollar size spot on the floor,easy driving max 3500rpm.
If I drive it hard it seems to leak more,and wets the pan.
I'm running PCV and I have good cross flow from the drivers side oil cap to PCV,I pull the hose that goes to the air cleaner and I have vacuum at the engine side cap.
The flywheel/crank flange is dry/clean. I have a Quicktime bell that is open so the flange is visable.
I seem to have oil on the top of the windage tray/gasket/block but for the life of me I can't tell if it starts in the back and works its way forward or starts in front and heads back.
The oil filter mount area is clean. Dip stick area is sealed.
It does seem to be on the right side though.
Can the rear main seal side seals leak like this?
The rear main itself?
Can a head gasket leak oil?
Please save the little hair I have left....
- Is there a type of "dye" for oil and black light to see where it's coming from? nm - ford-boy on Aug 10, 2012, 3:57 PM
- I too have battled a leak - Eric on Aug 10, 2012, 5:22 PM
- Oil Leak - Dave B on Aug 10, 2012, 5:41 PM
- Re: Oil Leak,my head hurts..... - Mike Lay on Aug 10, 2012, 5:49 PM
- Canton T-pan? - Woods on Aug 10, 2012, 6:10 PM
- Leak ... - Mike Gaffney on Aug 10, 2012, 8:34 PM