Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

FEs hang in there pretty darn well.....

April 19 2017 at 7:04 PM

Blair Patrick  (Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

Response to So, I was bragging on the FE's power compared to the BBC...

The example of Ray's exploits in SS/A have much merit. Super Stock is fairly limited concerning which heads are accepted. The BBC are subject to the same kind of limits. There is a man in Nova Scotia who is equally as experienced and smart about the BBC as anyone breathing air. John Armstrong builds the best BBCs anywhere. His Corvette can turn in performances just about right-on with Ray. I don't think he is faster, but he is right there. No one else is close. At that level, the Square Port BBC 427 and the 427 HR are very equal. In Stock Eliminator, the High Risers I build are on-par with the fastest 427 Chevys also. Stockers are restricted even more.....they must run many OEM or aftermarket accepted pieces that closley resemble original parts. The current rules allow replacement manifolds and alum heads for the BBC, while there are no such accepted parts for the High Riser. We use 50+ year old iron heads and OE manifolds. To quote my buddy Tom Nolan, "we don't lose too many heads-up races".

Scott Miller was second place to only a Fox Mustang in Drag Week.....with, yes, a Big Block Chevy. With no engine rules other than the fact that it has to survive the trip, the Chevy had 100 more cubes, and the Ford car it was in weighed nearly 300 lbs less.....and was only .15 quicker. Wonder what the time slips would say if that BBC was in a '69 Chevy body equal in weight to the Cougar....even with the 100 extra cubes....

Even if you scale on back to streetable stuff.....if you do it right, the FE is always competitive.

It is hard to argue against the success and popularity of the BBC, but they are not just dominant when the playing field is at least similar. About 40% of my business these days is making competition FEs faster than BB Chevys....

I'll stick with the FE any day, and still respect the opinion and effort of a smart, fast Chevy man while I'm at it.
Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   
Responses