Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

What about soft media blasting?

May 14 2017 at 7:41 PM

Button  (Login cliffrod)
Members

Response to Thanks Button :-) ... I thought of a vibratory unit later perhaps ..

Baking soda works great on alloy & non-ferrous parts, very gentle. Same with walnut shell or other soft media. I like soda a lot for alloy parts on bikes, including assembled engines in chassis and built wheels hubs. Wash it well after, water with or without a mild acid like vinegar, and then dry to help mitigate any corrosion issues. it doesn't texture the surface at all, even leaves variations in color typical of some casting so the look very original. Just too simple.

The new evapo-rust and metal rescue type products are really something as well. I recently got an old small tinsmith bead roller, overall construction is some ferrous and some alloy with a wooden handle. Apparently it was rusted solid, then soaked in the 5 gallon bucket for a day. Unbelievable. You would never know it was ever anything less than a never neglected old shop item. Item needs to be grease free before soaking. Thought it was not safe to use on alloy parts, but didn't seem to bother those parts on the tinsmith. Since then, I've been wondering how it would do if you just put an entire carb/pieces in it. Maybe someone here has tried this already??

I've got a vibratory tumbler (ok but not my preferred method), ultrasonic units (love them) and various blasting gear. Gotta get a big bucket of that metal rescue product.
[linked image]

1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Responses