Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Electrical Test Question

May 17 2017 at 5:19 PM
Pootnanny  (Login Pootnanny)
Members

Gents,

I'm troubleshooting an electrical Gremlin with my MSD ignition box, distributor and coil. My Mustang's FE motor isn't getting spark so I'm doing some testing to determine where my problem is.

After determining that I have power to my MSD 6AL box, I attempted to test the MSD ignition box per mfg. directions. I basically pulled the coil wire off the distributor cap, placed the distributor terminal about 3/16" from a ground, turned the key towards the start position and shorted the 2 green and violet distributor wires to the MSD box with a paper clip. I was unable to get spark between the coil wire and the ground. Per MSD, this test is used to determine if the MSD ignition box is bad.

One thing I wanted to eliminate was a potential bad coil wire interfering with this test. I'm currently using the large Taylor 409 wires. My current coil wire is approximately 10" long.

Can anyone advise if I'm testing the coil wire properly. I set my multimeter at 20K Ohms and took a reading off the coil wire's terminal for the distributor and the terminal for the coil. My multimeter indicated a reading of 0.35 which seems low.

I don't have a current replacement to switch out a coil wire for a test. Electrical is not my strong point but I'm trying to learn. Can anyone advise if there a problem with this wire?

Thanks all who chime in!

Respond to this message   
Responses