Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Turbo's, and stroker motors. I can't understand this.........

May 19 2017 at 4:48 PM

Mike U.  (Login mtrain)
Members

The Honda post down below got me thinking. That car has a Toyota 3.0l engine same as the Supra. However he stroked the engine to 3.2. Does having that little extra .2 liters really make that much difference in speed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpT0HpfZK7I&t=213s

Everyone knows a 93 to 02 Toyota Supra, with its turbocharged 3.0l, 189cid
inline 6 cylinder engine.

I've seen these car making over 1k hp with those tiny 189 cid engines, boosted, of course.

I've also seen many boosted cars with all types of engines, and lots with stroker engines.

Since you can make huge hp with an engine like the Supra with only 189 cid, then why spend the money, and trouble to increase the size of the engine, when all you have to do is up the boost?

Same with the Ford 2.3l engine that was turbocharged. I've seen guys put stroker kits in these engine that didn't increase the cid much at all. Which is why I really don't understand the reasoning.

I'm particularly referring to something like a 302 cid size engine, and up.

These engines are big enough that you can still drive them on the street without turning super high rpms just to get it moving as the torque is there.

So unless your all out racing, I can't understand why [unless you just had a stroker engine laying around] you would want to increase the cid.

I personally have no problems with people doing this, and of course my 540fe is supercharged, but I would be happy to run it without the supercharger, but there is so much custom stuff done it wouldn't be worth it. [I originally was going to build a supercharged 427fe. So I bought all of the parts, and fabbed everything to work. Then I found a really good deal on a Gen block with stroker parts so that is how I ended up with a big cid supercharged engine].

This message has been edited by mtrain on May 19, 2017 5:00 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses