Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Trouble with getting old and cheaping out

June 12 2017 at 9:24 PM
Jerry  (Login fairlanergt)
Members

My wifes car is an S code 67 GTA Fastback which we acquired some years back . The car is in great shape and was sold locally to where we live and we are the third owner . The previous owner for some reason didn't fix the damaged 390 but instead put in a 302 . I bought a date coded 390 which needed a complete rebuild . OK - start of cheap - my son and I have some parts kicking around so we put together a good 428 with a set of my old well worked over 390 heads with big valves . For some dumb reason I went with a hyd cam [wifes car] and an old set of ford adj rockers [never run hyd's in my life] . Set them running with a set of open top valve covers I made years ago . Started worrying about those old rockers so bought a new set of after market ones . Put on an old set of Hooker headers that were laying around that looked good . Well the headers worked for a while and sprung a leak at the flange under a tight bend . Bought a new set of hookers and waited four weeks to get them . When they came they were both for the right side . Back they go and wait another two weeks for replacements . Of course the old headers were off my Fairlane and didn't line up with the pipes [new ones fit better] so muffler shop work . Anyway if I wouldn't have cheap'd out my wife would have been driving the car a long time ago [a lot less nagging] and you know how many hours to do the changes . My old hands will be sore for some time - FE header bolts are a young mans game .

Respond to this message   
Responses