Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

I think the caps take the beating to protect the tips

June 16 2017 at 12:23 AM
kelly  (Login lowriser)
Members

Response to Thanks for link Torino :-) ... another question if I may ..

I have a set of C6AE-U heads that were on my 428 with 972 springs, maybe 747 retainers and whatever the
10 degree lock number is for 3/8 valves, they have a relief around top for lash caps. Sounded like something nice
to use, but if the caps get loose, problematic.
After pulling the rockers off these heads (with a few thousand miles since all new and fully rebuilt with stock valves of common stock),
at least some of the valve tips felt noticeably rough to the touch and I wondered what to do about it, exactly.
Had factory adjustable rockers and steel stands with spacers. I can see how maybe solid cam valvetrains might be a little harder on
low grade valves, or maybe the condition of the rocker faces were at fault. Maybe the spacers were a problem?
I decided I wanted roller rockers on everything to help avoid any weird wear as a result of stock rockers or just inferior valves.
but
I need to run a non-adjustable mild hydraulic in a 390 with stock non adjustable valve covers. If I can get end stands under there I will,
but I do expect to use some rebuilt stock assemblies I have. Now you have me considering using lash caps if I can make things work through the
pedestals and pushrods correctly. and find a way to keep loose caps from falling into an engine. In a week or two I will get these heads
modified for better valve seals, and a spring swap, get the tips ground and figure out the rocker assembly.
I wouldnt jump into them lightly.
I bet its easier to use them on short valves than it is to use them on a stock setup.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Thanks Kelly :-) .... N/M - winr1 on Jun 16, 2017, 11:04 AM
  •