Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Sinking sleeve ...

August 11 2017 at 12:22 PM
John  (Login jetstuff)
Members

Response to Couple things....

Hi Brent,

Posted here cause I may have the same problem with a 351C block. Nice clean virgin block before it threw a rod. The rod scored the bore and beat up the bottoms of the 2 rear cylinders. I took it to a machinist I've used before ( with a pretty good reputation), he magged it and put two sleeves in it. When I picked it up I noticed he bored the block straight thru, and left the sleeves stick out the bottom about an eighth of an inch. Right away I bitched, and he said he did it so the block would have enough skirt support for the pistons. ( I was building a 408) He said the sleeves were fitted extra tight and they wouldn't move , and if they did he would fix it.

I'm reluctant to use it as I don't feel like wasting a bunch of other parts if water gets in the pan.

My question is ... How would you fix this correctly ? I'm thinking either a thicker sleeve or a sleeve with a step at the top ?

Any thoughts or ideas ?

Thank's John

BTW, normally I'd just find another block, but this is a (previously) nice XE block that came from one of the NASCAR teams in the 1980's

Respond to this message   
Responses