Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Starter frustration

October 4 2017 at 11:13 AM
jgkurz  (Login jgkurz)
Members

Hi folks, I need some starter advice. I just got my engine running a few weeks ago and I already broke a starter. Somehow I broke the internal clutch which is usually a result of an engine kickback. I don't recall that ever happening. I bought my current high-end starter from a really good company, but I still had an issue. They have treated me well and have great customer service so I prefer to not name them outright. I am going to put the repaired unit back in but if it breaks again I need to make a change. I am 95% confident the installation, wiring, and gear spacing are all correct. All parts are new including the flexplate. My engine started fine for three weeks then "clank" with no engagement. The engine isn't a radical race engine in that it is a typical street 427 with 10.5:1 compression. It's well within the limits of most any highend starter. I could probably even use a stock starter, but wanted a gear reduction mini starter that I could clock away from my headers. My personal preference is to buy high quality stuff on the front end so I don't have to spend time fixing my car later. For the most part, I believe in the old adage "you get what you pay for". Certainly that's not always true. My point is that I want to know all options, not just the affordable ones.

With that said, what starters have worked well for you?

Thank you,
John

This message has been edited by jgkurz on Oct 4, 2017 11:36 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses