Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Early Cougar Styled Steel wheels question

October 5 2017 at 2:02 PM

Button  (Login cliffrod)
Members

the c/l link I posted on the classifieds shows a couple of sets of early Cougar Styled Steel wheels. When I was collecting a set of original 67 SS wheels for my 67 Mustang long ago, I accrued several earlier 65-66 Mustang SS wheels and eventually a full set (from different places) of early chrome Cougar SS wheel.

All of the Cougar wheels were badly and identically cracked in the centers, from the hole or "slot" in the wheel up onto each side of the spoke on all the spokes. Figured that was probably why they were not part of a set, but also wondered if such cracking was common to those wheels. This was in the 80's, long before repro wheels. All of these wheels were not obviously crash-damaged & spun straight, so it wasn't a matter of being curbed & bent. By comparison, none of the numerous 65-66-67 Mustang SS wheels I ever had were cracked.

Is/was such cracking typical of the Cougar SS wheels or did I luck into the only four cracked ones around..?
1967 Galaxie 500 Red original Q code 428
1967 Galaxie 500 White with Black stripes 428PI clone- car is dead & long gone, sold near Oak Ridge TN 2000, would love to find it.....
Please visit http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/ for pictures, information and video links to my work.

Respond to this message   
Responses