Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Carb float questions. If set incorrectly, and float level be somewhat corrected by adj.

October 5 2017 at 7:24 PM

Mike U.  (Login mtrain)
Members

I've been building some old carburetors from my fathers shop.

Some of these were carbs made in the 50's, and early 60's. I can't seem to find accurate float adjustment measurements.

As most of you know, the floats on most carburetors aren't externally adjustable like on an 1850 Holley. The floats on most carburetors have to be set inside the carb by bending the tangs, then measuring the floats to a certain level, and drop.

Well, I have checked the specs on some of the old 4Jet carbs I'm working on, and the adjustments are all over the place. It would seem that float adjustments with the same carb, can vary for different vehicles.

The only thing I can figure out is that these vehicles have different fuel pressure settings.

So, in having said that, could the float settings be corrected by simply adding an external adjustable fuel regulator?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to be putting these carbs up for sale, so I want to make SURE I can give the correct advice if there is a problem with them as far as the float level is concerned.

Also, just for you guys here is an old Motorcraft 4bbl carb I just finished for a 1974 big block Ford. The float level settings on this carb were pretty close to each other vs the Rochester 4 Jets.

Well Hell Imgur is just too slow tonight. Pictures tomorrow.

Respond to this message   
Responses