Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Trying to figure this out about carburetors. Fuel from acc pump at start up..........

October 8 2017 at 3:15 PM

Mike U.  (Login mtrain)
Members

Since the engine isn't yet running the first shot of fuel will be from the accelerator pump [or pumps if double pumper].

So, this got me to thinking as I had a bitch of a time trying to fire up the 428FE in the old Cobra this Friday.

When you hit the throttle, and the fuel is shot from the acc pump, where does it go? Obviously down into the engine, but since its pretty much a raw shot of fuel I'm guessing it [for a single plane intake] hits the floor of the manifold, then runs down to a "few of the cylinders".

I say, a few cylinders, since I can't see any way that shot, or shots of fuel could evenly be distributed to all eight cylinders.

My point is, if you're dealing with an engine that is cold nature'd, or hard to start, then wouldn't it be best to crank the engine until the fuel bowls are full, then with the starter not spinning, pump more than a few shot of fuel into the engine so that the few cylinders that DO get the fuel are somewhat primed? Then turn the engine over again until it fires?

Sorry, but the powers been out the whole day until just now so I've had lots of time to think.

Respond to this message   
Responses