Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Re: Yes sir. highway gears can be intoxicating.

October 11 2017 at 3:10 PM
Rory McNeil  (Login RMCJ428)
Members

Response to Yes sir. highway gears can be intoxicating.

All depends on what you want most from your car. Around 1984or so, Car Craft was hosting a "Street Machine Nationals West", in Clark County Washington, just North of Portland Oregon. I wanted to attend with my R code 428 CJ 4 speed 70 Mach 1, but knew the 300 miles each way (all I-5 freeway) would seem twice as long with the 4.30 gears. So I threw in a 31 spline 3.00 3rd member I had laying around, and put my L60-15 Pro Tracs on Magnum 500 wheels on the fold down back seat, and swapped on a pair of tall L78-15s on the rear. Made the freeway trip much more relaxing, but once I got there, ans put the L60s back on, I was absolutely shocked at how much performance the car lost with the "highway gears". It was embarassing. They had drag racing at Portland International Raceway, something I would have normally been gung ho to do, but I was afraid of embarrassing myself! The Mustang ran mid 12s with the 4.30s, but with the close ratio toploaders 2.32 1rst gear, it felt like it would have had a hard time running in the 14s, so I watched all the other guys having fun. Once I got back home, I couldn`t get those 3.00s out of there fast enough!! Afterwards I did a couple of 150mile (each way) treks to race at Seattle & Bremerton dragstrips, with the 4.30s buzzing the 428 about 3500 RPM, but no way in hell were the 3.00 ever going back in!

Respond to this message   
Responses