How much motor do you need to effectively use a Tunnel Wedge?December 3 2017 at 12:20 AM
|paulie (Login Paul_Lovett)|
I don't think an rpm or cam duration will tell you unless you know the displacement. For instance, maybe a 505 inch FE going to 5700 works good with a T-Wedge, or maybe a 427 running to 6800 works well.
I'm thinking a horsepower range would be more useful. You also need heads that compliment the intake.
Since an Edelbrock RPM can be effective up to 600 hp or so, where does the T-Wedge fit in?
I have a ported Dove Tunnel Wedge and am thinking about using it on a 470 inch street engine with ported Ebok heads and probably a small solid roller cam (245-255 degrees), and maybe 550 hp. Maybe 6200-6500 max rpm. Fairly light street car (3400 lb) with moderate to high gearing (3.15-3.33) and mild torque converter (2400-2600 rpm). Bad idea? Normally I would say yes, but maybe not with the bigger displacement.
Are other intakes a better match? Ebok RPM? Ported Holley Street Dominator? I have a ported BT 1x4bbl.
I do have Jay's Intake book and am going to look at again.
|This message has been edited by Paul_Lovett on Dec 3, 2017 12:23 AM|
- More engine than I have Paulie but I put one on anyways! - 6667fan on Dec 3, 2017, 6:29 AM
- I'd run it in a heartbeat - Ross on Dec 3, 2017, 6:36 AM
- Tunnel wedge vs. 2x4 MR vs. RPM...... - Blair Patrick on Dec 3, 2017, 6:44 AM
- Thanks. Good info. - paulie on Dec 3, 2017, 6:58 AM
- Blair, that is likely just the sort of info the OP is looking for. - 6667fan on Dec 3, 2017, 7:22 AM
- Blair, can you tell me the approximate peak hp of these three engines? - paulie on Dec 3, 2017, 9:19 AM
- Blair have any numbers for a Victor W/ Dommy carb? n/m - Gary Blair on Dec 3, 2017, 10:25 PM
- Re: How much motor do you need to effectively use a Tunnel Wedge? - Kevin Rolph on Dec 3, 2017, 8:38 AM
- I ran one for a while... - Tommy-T on Dec 3, 2017, 9:18 AM
- I'm kinda mad at myself for not trying my TW on the 390 - DaleP on Dec 3, 2017, 10:11 AM
- I've never done a TW with a camshaft that small.... - Brent Lykins on Dec 4, 2017, 3:14 AM
- Got me thinking - MeanGene on Dec 4, 2017, 11:13 AM