Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Holley carb with finish removed.

December 6 2017 at 4:53 PM
kleandan  (Login kleandan)
Members

I am working on a 4160 Holley. Today when I cleaned the carb the finish came off like paint. Because I have cleaned many carbs with zero issues I suspect this may have indeed been paint. I really did not look too closely at the carb before taking it apart and sending it through the ultrasonic cleaner.

After close inspection all the parts are in excellent condition with very little corrosion anywhere.
Oh sure there is the standard little bit of corrosion in the bottoms of the float bowls, otherwise it looks really nice...other than the finish being gone.
I suspect this was cleaned with something very harsh at some point in its life and somebody did a nice job of painting a metallic finish on the parts.

I am wondering if this lack of finish will have a gross detrimental effect on how the carb functions for the next few years.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: Holley carb with finish removed. - Drew Pojedinec on Dec 6, 2017, 5:56 PM
    • What kind of ultrasonic cleaner ya have if I may ask ?? ... N/M - winr1 on Dec 6, 2017, 6:48 PM

• Holley finish - Falcon67 on Dec 7, 2017, 6:47 AM
    • My finish - Gary on Dec 7, 2017, 9:17 AM
      • holleys - wayne aldrich on Dec 7, 2017, 9:23 AM
        • Re: holleys - Drew Pojedinec on Dec 7, 2017, 9:38 AM
          • Cost? Curious as to the fumes too. Nm - Ed Jenkins on Dec 7, 2017, 6:33 PM
            • Re: Cost? Curious as to the fumes too. Nm - Drew Pojedinec on Dec 7, 2017, 6:54 PM
              • alodine - wayne aldrich on Dec 8, 2017, 9:21 AM
                • Golden an clear alodine ... - winr1 on Dec 9, 2017, 10:48 PM