Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Don points to the real underlying issues.

December 7 2017 at 6:05 AM
kleandan  (Login kleandan)
Members

Response to Whore's Market

First is the race to the bottom, as I like to say. Price drives most of the market, NOT quality. What happens is pretty much all offerings seem to lower them self in order to "compete".
This effort to compete is driven by what the majority of the customer base purchases.
Pretty soon the "best" offering is often worse than the worst offering from a decade or two prior.

Look at a modern two slice toaster to see what I mean. I am still using the toaster my grandfather purchased in the late 1940's. It has never been repaired and it still works and looks good...silk wound insulation power cord and all.
A new version will usually last about 5 years and we have been lulled into thinking this is normal, so we head right out to purchase another new toaster. A toaster made so cheap and crappy that it probably would not even be let into the market when my 1940's toaster was new.

Next is the the often overlooked issues surrounding the poorly made parts. The valve train is very dependent on proper physical alignment. I read all sorts of talk about poor threads on the adjusters, off center holes on the adjusters, over sized shaft holes, and all sorts of other inconsistent measurements.
I NEVER hear anyone talk about the proper rocker ratio, or lack there of, due to poor machining.
This does not mean it is not present for I am sure it is very inconsistent based on the probability as evidenced by all the other issues.
What it means is not many are measuring this aspect of the rockers...they just trust it is correct.

Well, imagine all the rockers ARE machined correctly...good threads, good shaft hole, good alignment, everything good EXCEPT for the proper placement of the adjuster within the rocker itself.
Now you have ratios that range from 1.6:1 to 1.8:1 all on the same engine...Not very good if you ask me.

When all the parameters are considered, durability, proper measurements, consistent operation, reliable build and known clearances, EVERYTHING, as well as the real costs, both physical and financial, when the part fails, it makes VERY little sense to purchase questionable parts that are so vital to the proper operation, tune-ability, and durability of an engine.

You do not need to spend $1000+ on a race set of T&D's...unless you need that much rocker system, to get a high quality set up. However, buying questionable, cheap, inconsistent valve train components seems like a bad gamble in order to save a few hundred dollars on an engine build.

Imagine building your engine on a budget...like most of us do. You saved for a long time. You searched for good parts and purchased when you could. You traded with a friend for this and that over the years and FINALLY, finally you are ready to actually do that build.
Park the car somewhere safe and protected so you can pull that engine and leave the car there while the work is getting performed.
You take the engine to the shop and go over what you want and what needs to be done.
Three months later, as well as a few grand later, that baby is finished.
You set up a super nice, clean, open, well lit area to measure and assemble that pile of part into a rip roarin' street crusher...or maybe it's a simple stock rebuild. The real prize is when you get to drive the car again.

Hours spent, friends helping here and there, and soon you are actually done. HOLY SHIT! I get to start this thing.
You did your homework. You set the valves, you dropped the distributor, fuel good, coolant good, battery good, all that is left is to start the thing. Three cranks and it is running.

A few hours later and all went well. Cam broken in, valves adjusted, oil changed everything looks great.

Out for a drive and the urge hits to give it a bit of pedal. Easy at first. I mean it is a new engine...but everything seems perfect. There are now 800 miles on the engine and you can wait no longer.
Out to a back road and BAM! you mash the gas and the thing pops to life like an angry badger. 1st gear rubber, 2nd gear rubber, 3rd gear and you let out before the speed get too high.

That went well...lets do it again. Mash the gas and 1st gear rubber...but this time it goes different. This time there are all sorts of bad noises, oil smoke everywhere, and the engine is hurt.
Shut it off, pull over, open the hood and you see the carnage. The driver side valve cover is ripped open and parts are visible

But HEY, you saved $300 on those Chinese rockers...so you got that going for you...which is nice

Respond to this message   
Responses