Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

Not out of line, IMO....

February 9 2018 at 3:02 AM
Brent Lykins  (Login blykins)
Members

Response to Does this seem to high?

My assembly labor starts at $1600 and goes up from there, depending on the application, right off the bat. That's not including labor to do a careful disassemble (careful, meaning, not using an impact wrench on a core engine to get it yanked apart quickly), and look for problems.

There's a lot of scraping, cleaning, and washing with an engine that's been ran. Even when I have an oil pan gasket leak or something on the dyno, it's a considerable amount of time to get it up on the engine stand, drop the pan, scrape gaskets, etc, etc. To have to scrape intake gaskets off that have been glued on, oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, etc, etc., is a considerable amount of work.

Most of us don't slap a set of main bearings in without checking clearances. Since he didn't build the engine initially, I would assume that he measured the crank, then torqued all the main caps up, then checked main bearing clearances with a bore gauge. I would. I would also assume that he did that with the rods too, just to cover himself. He wouldn't want the engine coming back a few months down the road because bearing clearances were whopper jawed, something had taper in it, out of round, etc. Most likely checked piston ring gaps, piston clearances, the whole nine yards.

A set of hipo main bearings is about $80. Gaskets can go up to $200, if you stay away from the junky gasket kits and use quality individual gaskets.

Cutting an intake manifold is not cheap. Lots of set up involved to do a quick cut. Most guys I know charge $150-175 just to do that alone.

If he's gonna put his name on it, then he probably looked over everything with a fine tooth comb, because he wouldn't want it coming back for a problem that was not his...i.e. paying for a mistake that another builder made.

Again, I don't think he's that far out of line. I would consider letting him dyno it just so that he can be sure the leak is gone. A run stand usually won't find a lot of leaks, sometimes it takes spinning them up with a load to see things.

Respond to this message