Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

Return to Index  

OT/ SD 421 Pontiacs, you could buy a 421 Pontiac but you had to buy the racing parts over

February 9 2018 at 4:36 AM
Bill Ballinger  (Login 65billgal)
Members

the counter, all disassembled. The 4 bolt reinforced block, forged crank rods pistons , McKellor heads, cam and build it yourself. There is a guy who still races them, I forget his name but he has had the aluminum stuff, a swisscheese car, and a 421 baby tempest. They didn't offer a Super Duty engine as an out the door option. It was a 13:1 race car with forged internals as opposed to cast crank rods and pistons at 10:1 from the showroom. You had to buy the car, and then the Superduty stuff seperately and build it yourself. Royal Bobcat was a big supplier up around Livernois and 6 mile road. Jim Wangers drove a 1960 Super Duty with the good stuff in it and he said it bore no relation to what you got over the counter. Thought I would clear that up. I would love to build a Ford version from a HD 390 block.

Some of it carried over to the GTO, but it still had cast internals. In fact Wangers said the GTO in the road tests was really a 421.

This message has been edited by 65billgal on Feb 9, 2018 4:41 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses