OT/ SD 421 Pontiacs, you could buy a 421 Pontiac but you had to buy the racing parts overFebruary 9 2018 at 4:36 AM
|Bill Ballinger (Login 65billgal)|
the counter, all disassembled. The 4 bolt reinforced block, forged crank rods pistons , McKellor heads, cam and build it yourself. There is a guy who still races them, I forget his name but he has had the aluminum stuff, a swisscheese car, and a 421 baby tempest. They didn't offer a Super Duty engine as an out the door option. It was a 13:1 race car with forged internals as opposed to cast crank rods and pistons at 10:1 from the showroom. You had to buy the car, and then the Superduty stuff seperately and build it yourself. Royal Bobcat was a big supplier up around Livernois and 6 mile road. Jim Wangers drove a 1960 Super Duty with the good stuff in it and he said it bore no relation to what you got over the counter. Thought I would clear that up. I would love to build a Ford version from a HD 390 block.
Some of it carried over to the GTO, but it still had cast internals. In fact Wangers said the GTO in the road tests was really a 421.
|This message has been edited by 65billgal on Feb 9, 2018 4:41 AM|
- One thing that was odd is that they only had 2.02/1.66 valves on the - Bill Ballinger on Feb 9, 2018, 6:21 AM
- You're confusing history , Bill. Better stick with Fords - Jim on Feb 9, 2018, 8:14 AM
- I thought it was '63 that you could buy the 425A, but I can't be right all the time. - Bill Ballinger on Feb 9, 2018, 8:52 AM
- Ventura - Dan on Feb 9, 2018, 9:02 AM
- BTW, the Tempest SD 421 with the powershift is amazing the Mystic Warrior for one - Bill Ballinger on Feb 9, 2018, 9:06 AM
- Thanks Jim I think Bill B was thinking about 1963 - WerbyFord on Feb 9, 2018, 9:08 AM
- Pontiacs - Stangman on Feb 9, 2018, 9:19 AM
- About the time.... - Cammerfe on Feb 9, 2018, 12:19 PM
- The Royal.... - Cammerfe on Feb 10, 2018, 7:51 AM
- old days - gary on Feb 10, 2018, 1:21 PM
- BTW, The most beautiful 421 car I have seen is the '61 Bonnie - Bill Ballinger on Feb 15, 2018, 10:34 AM