Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

WHAT THE>>>>>>a 1965 ford dohc racing engine???

April 22 2002 at 10:13 PM
Don  (Login T_bolt_f-250_guy)
Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1822544857&r=0&t=0
I don't know if I did that right but it is a link to a book I just bought
Can anyone give me any information on this item??
is this the big brother to the cammer we all know?
I hope I didn't get ripped off

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login RM428)
Members

255 ci DOHC

April 22 2002, 10:32 PM 

That is the 4 cam 255 ci Indy engine, which was based (loosely) on the 221-289 Ford SB engine. These engines were first made famous by Indy & Grand Prix drivers such as Jimmy Clark & Graham Hills Lotus race cars. They were later called the Foyt, then the Cosworth. Not a FE, but still a very important segment of Fords racing history.

78 Fairmont, 428 4 speed,Best ET 10.20 @130.97mph 1.37 60 ft.

Respond to this message   
Chuck
(no login)

Indy motor

April 22 2002, 10:38 PM 

That looks to me like a book about the DOHC version of the ford indy/grand Prix motor. It was, I beleive, based (losely) on the small block (as far as bore spacing, etc). It's not FE related, but probabally a pretty interesting book. Those engines won a LOT of races, even into the 80's in F-1 and/or Indy cars. I beleive after Ford sold the design it was sold to cosworth, which was bought by GM, so, GM's forrays into indy had Ford motors for a bit. This is from a way back in my brain, so, I con't recall too many details.
As for the history of the engine, it started out as a SOHC engine, and after a few years they redid it as a DOHC. All through it's history it won alot of races, including it's forst or second Indy 500, I can't recall. In any case, those, along with the Offenhouser engines are some of the winningest engines ever. An interesting find.

Peace,
Chuck

Disclaimer: I'm pretty sure everyhitng I said was right, but, it's all form a few years back, there's alot of Calculus, Numerical Methods, and Dynamics of Rigid bodies inbetween now and then, so, no warranty

Respond to this message   

(Login T_bolt_f-250_guy)
Members

hummm

April 22 2002, 10:46 PM 

I wunder if you could get a set of dohc heads and slap them on a 221 and make one bad ass racing engine.... ohh well I was hoping for an unknown fe dohc but I guess I will have to make it myself. I guess 35 bucks ain't a steep price for a old racing book. Thanks for the help and I will take any if ya offer it

Respond to this message   
Tim
(no login)

Indy & F1 motors

April 22 2002, 11:23 PM 

The first Indy motors were 289 based pushrod motors. Ford later developed the 255ci DOHC engine which was a completely new design with no relation to the 289. The engine was later sold (given) to Foyt. It was run for several more years until it became non-competitive. The Cosworth F-1 motor has no relation to either the DOHC or the 289. It was a Cosworth design that Ford of Europe put up $100,000 for the engine development. The Cosworth moter was later fitted with a turbo and used at Indy.
If you want to convert your small block Ford to a DOHC you need to look for some Gurney-Westlake heads. Dan Gurney and AAR developed them with Westlake for the small block Ford. He also had a V-12 version of the Engine. Dan Gurney won the Grand Prix of Holland with this combination. It was the only Grand Prix win with an American built car & motor with an American driver to win a modern Grand prix.

Respond to this message   
Bill Conley
(no login)

Re: DOHC vs. Gurney Heads

April 23 2002, 12:21 PM 

Actually the Gurney Weslake small block heads are not DOHC. They are aluminum pushrod heads that bolt directly to a Windsor small block. Big aggressive ports, decent size valves, and shaft-mounted rockers.

Gurney (All American Racing) made some sets for the aftermarket, based upon his 1968 Indy stock block head. The intake ports are almost vertical and provide a direct mount for Webers. They'll easily make 400 HP on a 302.

I have a set on the shelf for my next project - when the FE is done

Respond to this message   
Paul C.
(no login)

This site may have more info.

April 22 2002, 11:10 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login Kevin66.)
Members

Ford info & pics

April 23 2002, 12:33 AM 

Here's a brief synopsis, from the 1st supplement to the original Muscle Parts catalog.

Respond to this message   
kelly
(no login)

stack of em

April 23 2002, 6:54 AM 

My local engine building hero had a few of these left a couple of years ago (none today . I have pictures of blocks and stuff on his shelves, as well as a built beauty on a stand. Someday Ill redo a page for these pics alone, quite a sight! Anyone remeber the Autolite 67 fastback? Clear acrylic hood and a DOHC? This guy used to own it.

Respond to this message   
Bill Conley
(no login)

Saw one for sale 10 years ago

April 23 2002, 11:32 AM 

at the SAAC swap meet in Dearborn. It was gorgeous- still had the "XE" numbers on it. As I recall the guy wanted $6500 for it- complete but apart.

I recognized it because I worked at Ford engineering and there was one on display at the Dyno building.

Must be an interesting story how the guy got a hold of it. The old Ford engineers still talked about a legendary day in 1969 when a memo came out from the top brass. It said, "All racing related items must be removed from company property by midnight on (such and such a date)." Apparently the lawyers were getting scared of potential liability. I was told that they opened up the parts cribs and certain people with connections walked out with everything.

-Bill

Respond to this message   
Tim
(no login)

Your right Bill

April 23 2002, 1:58 PM 

After 50 your allowed a few memory lapses.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - WHAT THE>>>>>>a 1965 ford dohc racing engine???
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index