Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1966 Ford Galaxie 500

November 10 2002 at 9:43 AM
Charles  (Login thebugbox)
Members

I Just bought my first Ford, a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 352 engine in it (though it is far from my first vintage vehicle). I am currently trying to get it running, and have a few question for the FE guys our there. I just ordered a holley 600 with electric choke, and vaccuum secondaries for this engine (due to the original holley 450cfm model 4150 being completely trashed, and gummed up) will this be fine, and what jets should I run? This car has been sitting since 1987, and has just under 62,000 original miles and is in very good shape, so I'm hoping to drive this to and from work for the next few years. What other modifications would you suggest for a good daily driver? Should I invest in an aluminum intake? Better heads? Aftermarket distributor (though I just bought a new stock one)? I don't think I want to do too much unless I end up needing to rebuild the whole engine, then I would like to know what my performance options might be. Also this car came with a cruise-o-matic tranny (and a 3.00:1 rearend). What the heck is this?? Is it a C-6, C-4, or some odd ball tranny that I'll never be able to get rebuilt if I had to?

Thanks
Charles

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
66FordCustomPI
(Login 66FordCustomPI)
Members

A few ideas...

November 10 2002, 11:04 AM 

I put the same carb on another '66 352 car-right out of the box- no jet change (I'm at sea level)and it runs so much better than the autolite. Still keep the Autolite- they are getting harder to find and aren't really a bad carb.
As for a daily driver, change to the Pertronix ignition system- the best $75. you'll ever spend- which will eliminate the points/condenser maintenance. BUT... be careful not to connect the pertronix/ignition wire to your electric choke power supply wire- it will drop voltage to the Pertronix system and cause it to not function.
Set total timing to 36-40 degrees total and you still should be able run on 87 octane regular.
I wouldn't bother with changing the manifold/heads. If they are the C6AE-R heads, then they are quite good for future performance mods. You might need valve stem seals if it burns any oil.
I've seen most '66 352's with Cruise-o-matics and not C-6's; 390/428/428PIs got the C-6s although some could have been installed behind 352s. Check door code- "4" is C-6, "7" is cruiseomatic. There's nothing wrong with Cruiseomatics- C-6 have more parts available for performance mods. See what you have, get the fluid and filter changed, and just drive it!

Respond to this message   
Ed Jenkins
(Login Galaxie)
Members

The orginal carb for the 66 Galaxie 352........

November 10 2002, 12:15 PM 

flows more then 450 CFM, it flows closer to 550 CFM.

A Holley was not factory installed on a 1966 Galaxie 352.

Are there any casting #'s on the carb? I collect old stock Ford carburators. I can make the old Autolites run great.  There is nothing wrong with the new Holleys howver.

The 1966 Ford and Merc shop manual shows a Cruis-O-Matic FX as being the factory installed trany for the 352. It is realted to the FMX.

Parts are available for the old Cruise-O but they are expensive and hard to find. 

Let me know if you want to sell your old carburator.

Ed Jenkins

Ford Galaxie Club of America member #3350
1966 Galaxie 500 Convertible built in Chicago Illinois, still has factory orginal 352 FE with factory C6AF-L 1.12 Autolite 4100, and many more factory parts. Car is in good condition.

Please visit and revisit the Carb Forum at http://network54.com/forum/88781

Respond to this message   
Charles
(Login thebugbox)
Members

Carb Numbers

November 10 2002, 5:15 PM 

The carb is a Holley part Number 4548. 450cfm 4bbl, heated choke, vaccuum secondaries. Model number 4150, it has a 122-57 front jet, a 122-3 rear jet, and a 125-65 PV rear. These are all numbers from a part number search that I found. It is stock, and I can guarantee that. Like I said, it is an original 62k mile car that I've known the family for quite a while.

Respond to this message   
bruce
(Login 7litre.com)
Members

stock holley?

November 10 2002, 5:57 PM 

I'm afraid not.
An Autolite 4100 was stock in 1966

Respond to this message   
Charles
(Login thebugbox)
Members

Yes. Stock Holley.

November 10 2002, 7:28 PM 

Yep, I know a stock holley. Go figure. Hell I tell some people I have a 352 and they tell me FORD never made one. Well, I never have, and never will say I'm a FORD nut that knows all part numbers etc... But when I went to Autozone and O'Reiley autoparts, and asked for a rebuild kit, they sent me back with three different model numbers. One being a 4100, a 4150, and a third being 4300. The 4100 and 4300 being labeled as a GP Sorensen ford model, and the 4150 being the GP sorensen Holley model.

Now according to this site:
http://79blazer.tripod.com/holleycarbnumbers/

The 4548 holley part number is a model 4150, just like autozone says (do a look at www.autozone.com for a 1966 ford galaxie 352 4bbl under fuel, then carb gasket kit, and it's listed).

Now I'm not saying that Autozone is correct by any means. They have been wrong on many a car I've owned, but the kit I bought for the 4150 was correct for my carb. Now, I went to the 1966 ford workshop manual (orange on orange manual) and looked up the 4v carbs. The one that I have looks more like the holley that they used in the Dual 4v carb setup for that year. Now in that book they don't give a part number, but it looks just like it, even says HOLLEY in the pictures.

Maybe someone put a carb from the dual 4bbl setup, or maybe they ran out of the 4100's that day. I don't know, but I'd almost bet it's original judging by the rest of the vehicle, and the condition it is in.

Thanks for sparking my interest though

Charles

Respond to this message   
bruce
(Login 7litre.com)
Members

stock holley?

November 10 2002, 7:39 PM 

Well, I'm the fist to admit that Ford did alot of very weird things, back in 1966. A Holley carb would be a first for me. Go figure.

Respond to this message   
triumph64
(Login kajohns64)
Members

carb

November 10 2002, 5:58 PM 

I must agree with Ed Jenkins, the holley is not the original carb. It may have been replaced so long ago that it looks original, but the original was an Autolite with 1.12 venturies

Respond to this message   

hawkrod
(Login hawkrod)
Members

this is an easy one to settle....

November 11 2002, 8:03 AM 

come on guys, this is not rocket science anybody can figure this one out! Ford did use holleys in 66, just not on the 352. you only gave us the Holley list number but not the Ford part number right above the list number or the three digit date code right below the list number (if it has 4 digits, it is much, much later). i can also explain why Autozone (i would not recommend using them as a reference, it does not reflect well on you) would show a Holley carb kit as does Ford. starting in 1969 Ford started using a line of generic Holley replacement carbs for cars all the way back into the 50's. the most common is the D0PF-9510-U list 4548 which is 450 CFM and Ford sold millions of them and also used them as a warantee replacement (but notice the part number, that is a 1970 design part! a little late for a 66). around here we are probably more familiar with the C9AF-9510-U list 4609 (how many times have you seen that one listed as an original cobra jet carb???). sorry guy but your 352 didn't come from the factory with a Holley if it even had a 4 barrel at all (give us the first 5 digits of your serial number and we will tell you). hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang

look at my cars past and present at superford!

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
86 SVO mustang

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
86 SVO mustang

This message has been edited by hawkrod on Nov 11, 2002 8:06 AM

Respond to this message   
Charles
(Login thebugbox)
Members

Decode

November 11 2002, 3:15 PM 

According to the VIN number, the engine code is X which means 352 4v. As a matter of fact, according to the factory Shop Manual, the 352 was offered only as a 4v option, so it is at least a 4bbl car. I will try and get the other part numbers off of the carb, but it will be a while, I sent it to get rebuilt, and haven't went to pick it up since I was told it couldn't be rebuilt. I never said I guarantee that it was the original carb, and could care less because my 600 Holley should be here in a day or so. The original owner (a little old lady) has since passed, and I cannot verify first hand if it was ever changed. I bought the vehicle from the son, and he said that the carb was rebuilt, but not changed. Who knows, maybe it is a replacement carb that was rebuilt.

Respond to this message   
John Anderson
(Login NTN)
Members

cruiso.

November 10 2002, 12:25 PM 

make sure you adjust the bands on that trans. it will save you a broken case.do not engage reverse at high idle---John

Respond to this message   
Charles
(Login thebugbox)
Members

Tranny

November 10 2002, 5:16 PM 

Do I have to take the trans apart to adjust the bands, and if not, does the 1966 shop manual cover this?

Respond to this message   

Inthegarge
(Login inthegarge)
Members

Just the facts Maam..

November 10 2002, 6:38 PM 

4548 Holley was "designed" for and installed on "1961-67 289, 332,352,390 and 428 engines". The tranny bands are adjusted by removing the oil pan. If you need specifics email me directly.

Respond to this message   
Charles
(Login thebugbox)
Members

Adjustment

November 10 2002, 7:35 PM 

I just read the Band Adjustments from the 66 ford service manual, and it has all kind of odd tools listed. Are these spacers 1/4" that I should be adjusting too, kind of like a huge feeler gauge? Also, they say screw until the wrench overruns... Are these torque tools that stop at a specific torque rating?

Respond to this message   

Rory McNeil
(Login RM428)
Members

Ford-Holley #`s

November 10 2002, 11:23 PM 

Every Ford I have ever owned that come OE with a Holley carb, will also have a Ford number (ie C6OF-9510-N) above the Holley LIST number. I also have one of these 450 Holley 4 barrels, although mine is a 4160. Apparently they were quite a common over the counter carb years ago. Mine has been workinf fine on the 390 in my 74 F350 ramp truck.

428 powered Fairmont drag car, Best ET:10.20@131.59MPH, best 60 ft: 1.32
59 Meteor 2 dr. sedan 332, Ford O Matic
74 F350 ramp truck 390 4speed

Respond to this message   

Inthegarge
(Login inthegarge)
Members

Adjustment without special tools

November 11 2002, 5:46 AM 

You can adjust by:
1.Loosen front servo adjusting screw locknut.

2. Pull back on actuating rod and insert a 1/4 flat spacer between adjusting screw and servo piston stem ( I use flat stock 1/4") .

3. Tighten adjusting screw to 10 inch pounds of torque. Remove spacer and tighten adjusting screw and additional 3/4 turn.

4. Hold adjusting screw and tighten lock nut. Install new filter, gasket and pan.

Good Luck Russell

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index