Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1964 390 Running too hot

April 20 2003 at 12:16 PM
  (Login Aaron_390)
Members

My 64 Galaxie is running too hot (between 205 and 210 on the highway). I have a 13 lbs cap and a 180 degree thermostat. I ran it without a thermostat last year, but then it didn't run warm enough on the cool nights, any suggestions? thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login spookytruck)
Members

What kind of fan, and radiator are you using?

April 20 2003, 5:24 PM 

If you're down south that's not really very hot, but I would get concerned if it climbs higher than that on the highway. When I lived in Florida 190 to 205 was pretty normal on long hauls in the late Spring, Summer, and early Fall.

Respond to this message   

(Login CHUCK333)
Members

I get nervous when my 390 gets over 190 and I live in

April 21 2003, 10:02 AM 

Idaho. If you're running ANY kind of performance parts, that will increase your heat.In any case, check cooling flow first, flush the rad. make sure the thermo is opening correctly. Water pump in good shape. Then air flow, shroud, fan. Run good mix of coolant. Water will boil off, coolant doesn't (much). Fuel mixure can cause heat problems (am I right on this ?)
chuck

Respond to this message   

(Login spookytruck)
Members

You are pretty much right on this Chuck.

April 21 2003, 2:48 PM 

When I first moved South to Texas, and then to Florida I would worry when my vehicles got up around 200 degrees, but people told me to get used to it, and I did. What seems to be scalding hot up north seems to be normal down south. Most of my vehicles run between 195 to 210 degrees. I noticed a long time ago that all of the FEs I've run liked a 195 thermostat. Even in Florida. They seem to never wear out running at that temperature.

Respond to this message   
Aaron
(Login Aaron_390)
Members

I've got it running at good temp now, thanks guys n/m

April 21 2003, 4:24 PM 

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 1964 390 Running too hot
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index