Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Here is another Kick Butt Issue of "The Poor Mans 427"! Dont miss out LOL~

December 17 2004 at 1:15 AM

Wes Adams Ford428CJ  (Select Login ford428cj)
Members

If you have missed the last few post that I have written, Then I don't know what to say at this point LOL! Just get yourself up to speed will ya. LOL

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=74182&messageid=1103128057

Now for those that are up to speed. Hang on, this is a good one!

I never did tell you guys this until now. We torque the mains before we got started on this whole project and mic them. Now since we have done all the hogging out, shove in sleeves & decked the block. We took our measurements to see if we have created some kind of core shift in the mains (or distortion)?

BB are you read for this??? From what we can tell, we couldnt find a problem with the measurements that we took from before we started this whole thing to now! WOW, Is that COOL OR WHAT?

So today we wanted to hone out the mains on this bad boy. Normally we would have done this first but we wanted to see what would happen to the block after shoving in a 8 sleeves before we went further on this.

Here we are making sure there is no high spots in the mains by blocking it out.

Here you can see that we are knocking off the edge on the corners.

We are doing the same thing to the main caps after we ran them across the cap machine to true them up.

Here is a pic of the main in the block after all the high spots have been knocked down.

Here we are setting up the boring bar. You use these pins on either side to help you adjust the diameter of the bar to fit in the mains. The pins should touch the mains.

My Uncle torque down the mains to 105 foot pounds.

Bill is setting up the mic for the mains. You may be asking how big did we go? Well its 2.9420. We like to run our engines loose if you know what I mean LOL.

We mic it out to see how much we had to take out before we started boring.

We mic out the mains to see how its coming along.

This is the #3 main that I'm showing you I do believe and its dead on Nuts if you can see that!

I think this one is the #4 main~

Now all the holes where dead on if you could of seen it. WOW!
This I didn't get the cap in the pic but I wanted to show the mains on how they look afterwards

We broke for lunch and came back to put the block in the Hot tank for some cleaning

Right afterwards we clean the soap off with water and blow it off & it gets some oil applied to it.

Please stay tuned for some more action in this shop. If you have some Q's please ask!!! You can even email me or call! kwadams@charter.net Home(541)882-5177, Cell (541)331-1484
I would like to thank you all for your support on this and wanted to say "What a great place this is, you guys are the best & I mean that". Thank You

Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
76 F-150 4x4 428CJ
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air 428CJ
67 Stang soon to be 427

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
1960 Town Vic
(Login 1960townvic)

What, aluminum main caps??

December 17 2004, 1:56 AM 

Respond to this message   

Wes Adams Ford428CJ
(Select Login ford428cj)
Members

I forgot to say they got glass beaded the Iron main capsLOL~

December 17 2004, 1:58 AM 

Sorry about that. I should have said something but it is late LOL.

Wes Adams FORD428CJ
76 F-150 4x4 428CJ
67 Stang soon to be 427

This message has been edited by ford428cj on Dec 17, 2004 8:43 AM

Respond to this message   

Mark Artis
(Login texoutsider)
Members

Aluminum main caps, sometimes.

December 17 2004, 2:25 AM 

Some may be surprised to know that MANY of the Mopars that we build here at Texas Thunder Performance are assembled WITH Aluminum main caps. It seems that the Mopar "B" and "RB" blocks are subject to cracking the mains as many Ford FE block suffer. To counter that tendancy we use Aluminum Main caps to absorb some of the stress and keep the blocks from taking the abuse. Strange as it may seem, they live. All of our megablock 528/540 strokers get this treatment along with some very special oiling mods. Many use the Milodon swinging pickup/oil pump plate/2 external line setup along with the expensive pan....we have just finished developing a single fixed pickup/plate/pan combo that will do the job at half the price.....and work equally as well.
As for the FE engines, with only the crossbolted mains in the 427s, we have never had any lower end failures. One minor problem, but that was attributed to my failure to properly clean the debris from some pushrod problems with one engine and we lost a bearing and rod..and this is since '98 with some very hard passes on all of the engines. Usually a look inside at around 50 passes and we change the rings and bearings...most of the time we wonder why we don't re use the bearings....
Mark

....home of the TexasOutsiders
www.texasthunderperformance.com

Respond to this message   

robert
(Login westcoastgalaxie)
Members

thanks again wes! another great episode!

December 17 2004, 2:06 AM 

im learning so much from this, i really appreciate it. question did you ever get a chance to do a drill bit test or get a pic of how close those cylinder bores are?

Respond to this message   

Mark Artis
(Login texoutsider)
Members

Drill bit test?

December 17 2004, 2:29 AM 

Looks like they have been a bit more "up close and personal" with this project than the ole drill bit test. I would even bet that with the sleeve "od" and the finished bore "id" that question is answered.
Mark

Respond to this message   

Larry Hampton
(Login 1320lane)
Members

They should be a skosh over 1/8" apart. .127" to be exact.

December 17 2004, 6:35 AM 

4.63" bore spacing minus 4.503" outer diameter sleeves (half of sleeve for each ajoining bore) equals .127".

Respond to this message   

robert
(Login westcoastgalaxie)
Members

drill bit test because i was just curious....

December 17 2004, 12:50 PM 

as to how they compared to the 427's. i dont know the core thickness on the walls of a stock unbored 427 block. drill bit test is all i know in the way of thickness. i figured since wes was essentially replacing the bores with "aftermarket" ones that maybe they would be thicker, thinner, or the same as that of a stock 427.

Respond to this message   

Wes Adams Ford428CJ
(Select Login ford428cj)
Members

The walls are .125 thick by the time~

December 17 2004, 7:08 PM 

We finish boaring the sleeves to 4.25. I can do the bit check if you like just to see??? I think that I will.

Wes Adams FORD428CJ
76 F-150 4x4 428CJ
67 Stang soon to be 427

Respond to this message   

Mark
(Login texoutsider)
Members

drill bits and other ramblings

December 17 2004, 7:40 PM 

Since there is not a decent drill bit in our shop this is not one of our strong points...no pun intended....every FE block here is so dam thin we can see thru them......hoping for lots of space there...maybe can have a pleasant surprise....
.....oh would I love to find one that would bore to around 4.40........pipedream.......let me see, if we put in a 4.500 crank, some .......nevermind.
I absolutely HATE those MOPAR folks with thier Megablocks. $1800/$2200 each and avaliable with the inexpensive 4.15/4.250/4.500 cranks.....540 is easy and 572 is not that far away......and we have to race em.
Taking another pound or two outta our car..building a 2700 pound Comet .....more than one way to skin that cat......
Funny car cage is installed, just barely room for me in there with the 10 inch firewall setback and the rear wheels moved a foot up......this is gonna be quite a ride.

This message has been edited by texoutsider on Dec 17, 2004 7:45 PM

Respond to this message   
Morgan
(Login Morgan67)
Members

Love threads like this

December 17 2004, 9:40 AM 

Wes looking forward to the next installment. This is good stuff!

Morgan

Respond to this message   

Brian Gray
(Login FairlaneGT390)
Members

Neato bandito Wes

December 17 2004, 6:12 PM 

I have never seen what it looks like when the main caps are align honed. Thanks for sharing all the photos. It's pretty darn educational.

:)Brian Gray
66 Fairlane GT 390 4spd

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index