Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

draft tube question

April 13 2006 at 2:59 PM
The Rookie  (Login clutchster)
Members

Hello again, well once again i have another question regardiny my 63 t-bird and the rebuilt 390. The draft tube, i believe is hooked up correctly to the spacer port under carb, but im wondering if there is supposed to be a filter within the intake next to this draft tube and if so i have a PROBLEM, because i didnt put a filter in.

Also, is my hook up correct to spacer plate? i want to keep the car looking original especially would love to keep my non pcv THUNDERBIRD valve covers on it. If anyone can give me some feedback on the formentioned, it would be truly appreciated. Lastly if it does need a filter, will i have to take the intake off? Jeez i hope not, i was gonna leter rip this weekend, but dont wanna blow a seal or whatever!

Thanks, The Rookie

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login JMO_)
Members

isn't there an opening at the back of the intake, behind the carb?

April 13 2006, 3:17 PM 

The road draft tube was supposed to be mounted to it I believe.

Don't think the originals had filters, but if you retrofit a PCV there, you can buy a wire mesh filter for it.

It would look like something like these pictures from Gessford's site:

Respond to this message   
TERENCE
(Login clutchster)
Members

different location than your pics

April 13 2006, 3:28 PM 

Mine is on the very back of the intake next to firewall. Is it necessary to have this filter (wire mesh) what would happen without it. Very curious!

In your pics, mine is different, mine is at the back of the intake next to firewall!

The Rookie
A recent pic i had seen showed the hook up from draft tube to spacer plate right underneath carburetor. Carb is a 2100 with a 3/8 or 1/2 port in the back above spacer plate that this draft tube hose is connected to, but i capped that off. Unless im missing something.
HELP!
The Rookie

This message has been edited by clutchster on Apr 13, 2006 3:31 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login bluesky636)

Re: different location than your pics

April 13 2006, 3:42 PM 

Terrance,

A road draft tube on a stock 1963 352/390 with cast iron intake manifold is basically an open ended tube that mounts to a port at the back of the intake manifold parallel with the firewall. The open tube end points down to the underside of the car where road draft (hence the name) creates a low pressure area that helps draw the crankcase gases out. A road draft tube is only effective at speed. It is almost worthless at idle/standing still. A road draft tube DOES NOT connect to the manifold vacuum port on the carb spacer.

A PCV valve for a stock 352/390 of the same vintage mounts in the same location via an adaptor that plugs into the port in the back of the intake manifold. The PCV valve attaches to the adaptor then a rubber hose attaches to the other end of the PCV valve and connects it to the manifold vacuum port on the carb spacer.

The setup in the photo in this thread is for factory aluminum intakes used on 427s and maybe late 406s as well as most aftermarket aluminum intakes.

Hope this helps.

Bill Haegele
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
Custom Cruisers Of Northern Virginia
http://www.customcruisersnova.org

Respond to this message   
Gary
(Login Galaxie_406)
Members

Draft Tube? I know what ya got!

April 13 2006, 8:03 PM 

Your description sounds like the PCV system on my 62 Galaxie with the 390. If you like I will snap some photos and post them in the morning.

Respond to this message   

Greg
(Login GregoryM)
Members

Can you provide a little more detail, please?

April 13 2006, 3:49 PM 

Are you using PCV valve? A "draft tube" is a specific part(-6758-)that is approx. 30" long and presses or bolts onto the rear of the intake manifold to vent crankcase vapors to the atmosphere. It does not connect to the carburetor or spacer at its discharge end. If you are running a hose from a fitting at the rear of the intake manifold to your carb spacer, there must be a PCV valve in line to control the vacuum. I think the correct arrangement on a T-bird engine was as follows: 1.Fitting at rear of intake. 2.Rubber tubing. 3.PCV valve. 4.Steel tubing running forward, bent approx. 90 degrees toward #5 intake runner. 5.90 degree female flair adapter to male pipe thread into tapped boss in the #5 intake runner. You can keep your stock rocker covers and use a vented oil filler cap. This system was used on T-birds built for California delivery beginning in 1961 and then became standard later. I don't really know when it was mandated for all states. The breather/oil filler and PCV valve was moved to the rocker covers in 1965.

Respond to this message   
TERENCE
(Login clutchster)
Members

yes , i now got it

April 13 2006, 3:58 PM 

Ok guys, me being a rookie with this thing has finally caught up to what u all are saying. Yes i connected a u shaped pipe fitting to the draft tube with a pcv and hoses. Im so sorry i didnt indicate that. It sounds like my hook up may be correct. Me not knowing thought all of the draft tube hook ups were similar if not the same, but ive learned something new. So since i have the u shaped pipe with pcv and hoses am i now correct? Also what about this filter, must i have it?

Thanks, So much a Rookie. lol

This message has been edited by clutchster on Apr 13, 2006 4:02 PM

Respond to this message   

Greg
(Login GregoryM)
Members

If you mean the metal mesh basket,...

April 13 2006, 4:11 PM 

that fits in a recess in the manifold- yes, use it. It is a ersatz "oil seperator" that will lessen the amount of oil ingested by your PCV system.

Respond to this message   

(Login clutchster)
Members

Do I have to

April 13 2006, 4:14 PM 

take the intake manifold off to put this filter in or is it accessible throught the draft tube hole. Would really be a bummer to have to take the intake off.

Thanks

Respond to this message   

(Login bluesky636)

NO!

April 13 2006, 4:45 PM 

The metal mesh basket is NOT used with your style PCV set up. Read my earlier post in this thread.

Bill Haegele
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
Custom Cruisers Of Northern Virginia
http://www.customcruisersnova.org

Respond to this message   

(Login ford406)
Members

Oil separator

April 13 2006, 7:18 PM 

On a 63 T-bird with the factory cast manifold there is a oil separator, wire mesh, held in by the oil baffle on the underside of the manifold. If it's not there you will suck oil. A Stainless Steel Brillo pad makes a good replacement. You have to have the manifold off and upside down to see it.

Respond to this message   

Pippin
(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

a picture.

April 13 2006, 9:49 PM 

here is a 57 intke converted to pcv.

Pippin

1966 F100, 410, 625 CFM Carter AFB, XE262, 3-on the tree, 3.50 open.
1968 Torino GT Fastbask, 390 GT, 750 CFM edl, C6, 3.70 open.
1968 Fairlane 500 Convertible, 302 2v autolite, C-4, 2.79 open.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - draft tube question
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index