Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tremec TKO Users ???

August 21 2007 at 10:46 PM
  (Login Scode67FB)
Members

I'm getting the parts together for a Tremec TKO swap into my Scode67FB. The engine will be a 428. I already bought the new Quicktime bellhousing (haven't received it yet) but now need to look into a flywheel and clutch setup. I have the original 428 flywheel with a near-new 11 1/2" clutch setup. Quicktime said the bellhousing will accomodate up to an 11 1/2" setup. However, going to the TKO, I'll need a 26 spline disc and I can't find a 26 spline 11 1/2" disc. I've found 11" and 12" but no 11 1/2." So, first question: Can I use an 11" clutch disc with an 11 1/2" pressure plate? I don't like the idea (if it actually works) but want to know if it's an option.
Looking around at flywheels, all the new ones seem to be drillrd for 11" or 12" clutches. Some say for "long style" and some for "diaphragm." Next questions: Do both bolt up to the same holes in the flywheel? Is one style any better than the other?
What flywheel / clutch setup are you guys using?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login bworth)
Members

TKO 11 n my 68 Ranchero

August 21 2007, 11:38 PM 

I have a 390 motor with a CJ bellhousing and in my aplication I used a( McLeod) MCL 360821 ford 12" diaphragm pressure plate and MCL 260273 12" 200 series disc with a 1 1/8 x 26 spline. All parts were supplied by Fred of Dark Horse Performance in Seattle Washington and bolted right up in place other than the hole I had to cut in the floor of my Ranchero for clearance. Fred is quite knowlegable about what fits. It might be worth giving him a call . I also used a new 40 Lb steel flywheel. A disc smaller than the pressure plate will be OK as the pressure plate won't know. I really like the TKO 11 after I fixed the factory F&*&% up where they forgot to machine the reverse shifter fork and it wouldn't go into reverse. Good luck, hope this is some help.

Respond to this message   

Charles Logsdon
(Login 57fairlane428)
Members

Re: Tremec TKO Users ???

August 22 2007, 3:09 AM 

I am in the process of swapping a tko600 in my 57 fairlane right now. It is a 428 cj and is replacing a top loader. No new bell housing is required in my case. Just bolts right up. I am using a 12 inch mcleod dual friction disc with my zoom long style pressure plate. Only problems I have encountered so far is I have to elongate the holes in my tranny mount and fab a spacer for the correct pinion angle. The mcleod disc is .100 thinner than the old zoom disc. The pressure plate had plenty of room to take up the slack. I will post the results of the clutch operation when I get it on the road this weekend.

In your case the smaller disc should be fine. Just measure the thickness and make sure you have enough movement in the pressure plate. Bigger is better if you can fit a 12 inch. Why did you get a new bell housing?

1957 Fairlane
433 Cobra Jet
5 speed TKO600
9" 3.70 true track

Respond to this message   

(Login Scode67FB)
Members

Re: Tremec TKO Users ???

August 22 2007, 7:54 PM 

I decided on the new bellhousing for a few reasons. It'll accept an out-of-the-box TKO. I won't have to get the shortened input shaft or use a spacer. A non-modified TKO will leave me more options if I change motors or sell the trans later on. Also, it'll help shed a few pounds.

Respond to this message   

(Login Bad427stang)
Members

I ran into the same thing

August 22 2007, 3:35 AM 

I ended up using a 12 inch McLeod, I never found an 11.5 26 pline disk.

Theoretically, you could run an 11 inch disk with your pressure plate, but I decided to go diaphragm anyway

I have heard companies can make them custom, but not sure where you'd go to find that

---------------------------------

- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, TKO-600 5 speed, 3.70 9 inch
- 71 F100 Ranger XLT shortbed 4x4, 397 cid FE, headers, Street Dominator, 280H, 5 lug Dana 60 rear, 4.56's, 4 speed

Respond to this message   

(Login Scode67FB)
Members

Re: I ran into the same thing

August 22 2007, 8:13 PM 

I checked the McLeod site, and they list an 11 1/2" 26-spline disc (1 1/8" input). The number is 260272. Is your diaphragm clutch bolted to a stock flywheel? I'm still trying to figure out my options, so I'd like to know if the long style and diaphragm clutches bolt up the same.
Anyone have input comparing the "feel" of long and diaphragm clutches?

Respond to this message   

(Login Bad427stang)
Members

Long versus Diaphragm

August 23 2007, 4:29 AM 

I replaced my 11.5 CJ style Long with a 12 inch McLeod diaphragm made for that purpose.

I got rid of the clutch assist spring under the dash, and it shifts nearly as easy as a new car, with no downside that I can find so far

I dont drag race, next week will be the first time with the car, its more of a street car, but it locks solid and really works well

I would never go back to the leg breaker

- 71 F100 Ranger XLT shortbed 4x4, 397 cid FE, headers, Street Dominator, 280H, 5 lug Dana 60 rear, 4.56's, 4 speed

Respond to this message   

(Login mike_burch)
Members

Sintered Iron Disks are 10.5", but used with 11" pressure plates all the time

August 22 2007, 5:49 AM 

My car has a 10.5" disk and an 11" pressure plate. Works fine.

------------------------
Mike Burch
66 mustang real street
302 4-speed 289 heads
10.63 @ 129.3
http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?220

Respond to this message   
Utah Joe
(Login utahjp)
Members

How does it fit in a mustang?

August 22 2007, 7:44 AM 

I have a 67 390 fastback and I was considering doing this swap. Does it require any modification of the transmission tunnel? I would love a 5 speed, but I really dont want to hack up the car too much.

Respond to this message   

(Login Bad427stang)
Members

Mustang

August 23 2007, 4:27 AM 

A little shaping of the floor directly under the dash, and you need to trim the floor cross brace.

That is if you use the proper input shaft, if you use a spacer, its moreshaping and more cutting

They make crossmembers that drop the tranny so it doesnt hit, but along with driveline angle issues, on an FE car, your fan will find water at the bottom of the radiator due to the angle;)

Respond to this message   
John
(Login 67390GT)
Members

What you need

August 22 2007, 5:53 PM 

I have done the swap in my 67 but it is not on the road yet. I have a Centerforce II # CFT360033. It is 11" that bolts your 11.5 pattern. I have a McLeod Dual Friction 26 spline clutch # 260871. I have since decided to go with a aluminum flywheel for my stroker and the pp will not bolt up so I don't need the pressure plate anymore. If your interested I would let the pp go at 25% off of Summits price. It has been bolted up but never used. Still have the box. John

Respond to this message   

(Login Scode67FB)
Members

Re: What you need

August 22 2007, 8:20 PM 

I also might consoder going to an aluminum flywheel. What are the pro's and con's of an aluminum flywheel?

Respond to this message   

(Login 67390GT)
Members

Re: What you need

August 23 2007, 4:03 AM 

I wouldn't want to get one that is too lite for street use. I bought a RAM that weighs 20 something pounds. There are several others that complain about takeoff after going to a lite wheel.

Respond to this message   
Mike Bruns
(Login 68gt500)
Members

Have had one in the Shelby since 2001 ..

August 23 2007, 1:53 AM 

and it has been the single best modification I have done.

I have a CJ Ford bellhousing, 11.5" std. long pressure plate, 11"x26 Chevy disk and the Tremec with the short input shaft option.

Bolts right in without adapters.

If I had to do it again, I would get the std. input shaft and use the spacer between Bell & tranny. That would put the shifter more in the center of the std. cutout - and probably would not have required a longer driveshaft.

Shifting ist vastly improved with GM MTL over Dexron III

Mike (Germany)
68 GT500

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Tremec TKO Users ???
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index