Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hacking a PCV system

November 2 2007 at 12:55 PM
  (Login smorgasbird)
Members

I need some new ideas on a PCV system for my 390 rebuild. It originally had a stock 61 intake with the oil fill tube/breather in front and a PCV valve inlet in the back. It also had the stock "Thunderbird" valve covers with no openings, I like 'em and wanna use 'em.
I'm switching to an aluminum intake with no provisions for a PCV valve or oil fill tube. I removed the fill tube from the old intake, cut it down a little and welded it into a hole I drilled in the front of the LH valve cover.
I plan to run the PCV hose from a carb spacer, but how do I mount the valve in the rear of the RH valve cover? It appears that clearances are pretty tight and I don't think I can fit a baffle in there.
I know, I should use the later "power by Ford" covers but I really want to keep the old ones if possible. Any suggestions?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login RoyceP)
Members

PCV in rear of the intake

November 2 2007, 2:20 PM 

You can get a kit for '63 - 65 FE that uses the draft tube hole to mount the PCV. It's simply the block off plate with a rubber grommet in it. Or just make one yourself.

1915 Model T Ford touring Black of course!
1967 Cougar GT 390 Cardinal Red / Black
1968 Cougar GTE 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 Cougar GTE 427 Medium Blue Metallic / Dark Blue http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15029/50071-2

Respond to this message   
1960 Town Vic
(Login 1960townvic)

I don't think so, Royce

November 2 2007, 2:30 PM 

If I read him correctly, he has an after market manifold that does not have any of the provisions that a FoMoCo manifold would have. It would seem that he is going to have to modify the other valve cover, or drill through the intake into the valley area. Either way, stock stuff should work. I like the idea of a hole in the back of theother valve cover, then using the pop in grommet and PCV valve unit.

Maybe not.

Respond to this message   

(Login mwbbstang)
Members

I sure wouldn't go into the back

November 2 2007, 3:11 PM 

of the v/c. Even with a baffled PCV grommet, eventually he's gonna pull oil. I would look at drilling the intake behind the carb, use a baffled PCV grommet with a 1" ID. Insert the valve in the grommet and run a hose from the valve to the vacuum nipple in the carb base. Shouldn't be too obnoxious looking.
Just my .02

Respond to this message   

Bob Sprowl
(Login bsprowl)
Admin

You're going to get a lot of oil into the PCV system...

November 2 2007, 3:06 PM 

if you don't have baffles or some other screen to keep the oil out.

Been there, done that, it didn't work well.

I finally put a hole in the intake manifold and fitted the basket and strainer from a pre-PCV intake. That solved the oil problem.

YMMV

Bob

1966 7 Litre Convertible
1959 F-100 (under construction)
2005 GT40 (in my Dreams)

Respond to this message   

(Login DEames)
Members

Listen to Bob; he's been there, so have I. If you're gonna d**k

November 2 2007, 5:13 PM 

around with the "baldies" anything
you create will be a compromise,
but Bob's solution is the best.

Respond to this message   

(Select Login Tommy-T)
Members

I use some parts off of mid-'80's Volvo...

November 2 2007, 11:01 PM 

...4 cylinder engines. A grommet for a standard size valve cover breather, a nipple that takes a manifold vacuum hose, and a tube to the air cleaner makes the whole set-up. The nipple has a breather screen inside. I have been using this PCV system for years with some unmolested "Thunderbird" valve covers with my Streetmaster, and M/T Power Ram.

E-Mail me if your interested in piece'n together a set-up like this. I think I still have some of this "junk" lay'n 'round.

Kinda hard to see in the pics...and that's the idea! You can also use the hole you drill in the back of the manifold for the nipple to use as the oil-fill for the engine.

Respond to this message   
johannarich.
(Login johannarich.)
Members

what i did with mine....

November 3 2007, 10:39 AM 

i had an edelbrock performer RPM and it did not have the hole in the rear of the intake like the factory setup so since i was going to run a carb spacer anyway i bought one with the PCV hole already in the rear, ran a barbed nipple from it to the pass. side rear hole in the valvecover. there, i bought an oilfill cap from autozone that had a pcv valve already built in it.....

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Hacking a PCV system
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index