Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

weight of 390

March 8 2008 at 5:07 PM
ford-boy  (Login ford-boy)
Members

I checked my tracking # for my 390 (complete engine minus carb, dist, water pump and flexplate --ebock heads and rpm intake) and it shows up at 525 lb. shipping weight w/pallet. I thought that is pretty good. I would say it will check in about 75 lbs lighter than the 312 Y block that's in the the car now.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

FEs with aluminum heads and intake are amazingly light...

March 8 2008, 6:03 PM 

My stroker 390 weighed 510 pounds, with everything except the flywheel, and including carb and headers.

Jay Brown
1968 Shelby GT 500 Convertible, 492" 667 HP FE
1969 R code Mach 1, 490" supercharged FE, 9.35 @ 151.20, 2007 Drag Week Runner Up, Power Adder Big Block
2005 Ford GT, 2006 Drag Week Winner, 12.0 Daily Driver
1969 Ford Galaxie XL, 460 (Ho Hum....)
+ Really Cool "Secret Project"

Respond to this message   

(Login ford-boy)
Members

510 is amazing....

March 8 2008, 6:52 PM 

Just a check of other engine weights lists a 283 Chevy and a 351 Windsor at 575. Great. I might have to cut a coil off the front spring now. LOL

Respond to this message   

(Login blueoval67)
Members

re: amazingly light

March 9 2008, 3:43 PM 

Jay any idea how much more an aluminum Genesis block would cut off the total weight?

Just checked the Genesis website myself. Their aluminum block weighs 118 lbs. Their cast iron block weighs 230 which they say is 30 lbs over a stock Ford block. Which means you can save an additional 80 lbs buy switching to an aluminum block. That gives you 430 lbs FE engine. Wow!!!!

This message has been edited by blueoval67 on Mar 9, 2008 4:37 PM

Respond to this message   

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

My all aluminum SOHC...

March 9 2008, 5:38 PM 

tipped the scales at a whopping 540 pounds! Even with the bigger heads and all that extra hardware (cams, chains, gears, front cover, etc), it still came in about 500 pounds. Pretty wild. The engine makes about 1.5 HP per pound!

Jay Brown
1968 Shelby GT 500 Convertible, 492" 667 HP FE
1969 R code Mach 1, 490" supercharged FE, 9.35 @ 151.20, 2007 Drag Week Runner Up, Power Adder Big Block
2005 Ford GT, 2006 Drag Week Winner, 12.0 Daily Driver
1969 Ford Galaxie XL, 460 (Ho Hum....)
+ Really Cool "Secret Project"

This message has been edited by jaybnve on Mar 9, 2008 5:40 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login gear_head_62)
Members

Just did an FE swap...

March 8 2008, 7:03 PM 

Into a '63 box top, formerly of "big-6" and cast iron Fordomatic power. With a complete all-iron FE and a C-6 trans, the old factory springs have the control arms flush against the bump stops!!

No scales to measure, but the FE/C6 combo IS for sure lighter than the old motor and trans.

Steve Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

-1965 Custom, police 390/4v, 4speed
-1962 Galaxie 500 Town sedan, FE/8v, C6
-various other junk

This message has been edited by gear_head_62 on Mar 8, 2008 7:03 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login ford-boy)
Members

Re: Just did an FE swap...

March 8 2008, 8:03 PM 

A 312 Y block AND it's all cast iron Fordomatic must weigh a bunch. The cast iron fordomatic by itself MUST be more than a C-6.

Respond to this message   

(Login BillBallingerSr)

I have been arguing the heavy myth for 30 years

March 9 2008, 6:44 AM 

I have had them complete with just an aluminim intake come in the same as an all iron 351 Windsor, and only 10 lbs heavier than a SBC.

Some folks used to argue that a 460 was lighter, its obvious that they never put one together on an engine stand. You had better have a good one

Respond to this message   

Beoweolf
(Login beoweolf)
Members

An FE is definately lighter than a Lima series engine

March 9 2008, 8:30 AM 

It's truly weird how persistent "Common Knowledge" rumors can be. Years ago, people got the idea that FE engines were heavy (in truth - they are, but not as heavy as people think!).

I helped swap a 429 into a mid 60's Galaxie, replacing a 428 swap. Cost of parts for the FE being the main driving force for the change over - the owner was very reluctant to part with his beloved FE. Doing all the research, weights, length, height - etc; everyone was sure the 429 was lighter, smaller - a drop-in. Well it wasn't either!

The 429 - 460, even with aluminum heads and manifold was a least 100 lbs heavier. As mentioned, when you hang a fully prepped 429 - 460 in a Cherry picker, you better keep the boom arm closed. or hag some weight on the back as you maneuver it into the engine compartment ...cause if you extend it to far it will want to tip over. Didn't have that problem with the FE, as mentioned – you better not try to hang either on a $39.95, ½ ton, tripod-type, import engine stand for extended periods – it’ll make you clinch. Another engine that has an undeserved "Porker" reputation is the late model Cadillac 500+ ci engines. Believe it or not, they too are actually lighter than most of other "Brand X" small block engines. Guess that explains why there used to be so many Cadillac into Ford truck swaps back in the day.

You have to do your own research when it comes to Fords... most of the propaganda is aimed at enhancing the Brand X superiority fascination, not based on real world expereince or facts.

Respond to this message   

(Login gear_head_62)
Members

C6s are pretty big and heavy!

March 9 2008, 6:15 PM 

The Fordo was cast iron, but it was tiny. I once had to bench-press a C6 into my car on the side of the road, in the winter (in younger and dumber days). It has got to be the same or heavier than that Fordo.

I'd wager that most of the difference was that goddamn big mother of a straight 6 that was in there. Talk about straining an engine hoist!

Y-blocks are heavier too. My '62 was originally a 292/Fordo car - I still have the factory springs in there. They have settled a bit over the last 8 years, but the car was at least an inch higher after the swap.

Steve Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

-1965 Custom, police 390/4v, 4speed
-1962 Galaxie 500 Town sedan, FE/8v, C6
-various other junk

Respond to this message   
Royce
(Login RoyceP)
Members

C6 is not that heavy

March 10 2008, 7:15 AM 

I shipped a FE C6 with stock converter bolted to a half size pallet. It weighed in at 205 pounds. The pallet was probably 30 pounds.

A C4 does weigh less by about 20 - 25 pounds. Also the C4 is more efficient in terms of friction loss.

1915 Model T Ford touring Black of course!
1967 Cougar GT 390 Cardinal Red / Black
1968 Cougar GTE 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15029/50071-2

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - weight of 390
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index