Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

O/T 1984 F-250 Fuel Pump?

May 21 2008 at 10:50 AM

(Login RexC.)
Members

Sorry for the off topic posting but I thought some one on here might be able to help. I have a 1984 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 460 and aparently an electric fuel pump. It has dual tanks, so is their a pump in each tank? Mine seems to have gone out and it doesn't matter if I switch tanks or not the symptoms are the same. I guess it could also be the valve that switches the tanks? Basically it runs fine at idle and will run just fine off idle for a second or two then acts like its running out of gas. Any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions. Rex

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jack Ross
(Login jwrmach1)
Members

F250 460

May 21 2008, 11:04 AM 

I too have one of these critters. I need some clarification though. Does it start and run at idle ok? Does it only fall on its face when you step on the gas? Does it restart okay? Has it run out of gas? There are other things that can cause the problem you are experiencing besides fuel. You are correct, there are electric pumps in the tanks, but it sounds like it does not matter which tank you've selected, it acts the same way. In this case, does the tanks switch? There is a relay for the tank switch and another for fuel pumps on the firewall next to the brake booster. The power wire for the relay and pumps runs from the battery across the core support and over the the firewall. Mine has corroded where it runs by the battery and stopped me in my tracks. If it is a fuel problem, the next step to determine is, is it electrical or a flow problem. I do have the electrical and vac troubleshooting manual for the 85, I may have the 84 also. Do you want me to email you the page on this circuit?
JWR

Respond to this message   

(Login RexC.)
Members

Re: F250 460

May 21 2008, 2:05 PM 

Yep it runs and idles fine; but when I take off it runs ok for maybe a hundred feet then falls on its face like it has emptied the bowl of the carb. So I'm assuming that the pump is still pumping a little just not enough.

So there is a pump in each tank?

Also, where is the fuel filter? I know of the small one up by the carb but are their others in the tank?

That schematic could be handy.

Now I'm thinking that the fuel tank switch/valve may not be working since it does not matter which tank I'm using.

Thanks for the tips. If you could email me that schematic I would appreciate it. rex.m.carter<at>gmail.com.

Thanks, Rex

Respond to this message   
Dave Eames
(Login DEames)
Members

Check your fuel filter first before dropping tanks, etc, etc... we've

May 21 2008, 5:05 PM 

had many complaints in the shop of "falling on it's" face being traced to an old,plugged, neglected fuel filter. Odds of having both pumps go TU are very astronomical.

Respond to this message   
Jack Ross
(Login jwrmach1)
Members

Fuel Filter

May 21 2008, 7:02 PM 

The only fuel filter on my truck is at the carb. When the truck dies, does it start right up or do you crank it for a while and then starts? I had this type of problem once and it was only when I switched tanks, one tank pump was not pumping and the carb would empty out. If I switched back to the first tank, it would crank for a minute while the carb would refill before starting. It is important to know the sequence of events before and after the stall to diagnose properly. I will scan the chart and email.
JWR

Respond to this message   

(Login RexC.)
Members

Yep it was the fuel filter....

May 21 2008, 7:31 PM 

At first I didn't suspect the filter because of the abrupt change, it had been running fine until today, but I checked the fuel flow before and after the filter and their was a huge difference. Now its time to find a new fuel filter...been to three parts stores and they don't even show this filter for this truck, but it is definitly the stock one. This one has the return line coming out the side.

Thanks for everyones help. Rex

Respond to this message   
Jack Ross
(Login jwrmach1)
Members

Fuel Filter

May 22 2008, 5:41 AM 

If you are refering to the item plumbed into the fuel line near the carb which has 3 lines threaded into it, it is not a filter but some kind of metering device. It is a Ford dealer only item, if it is still available.
JWR

Respond to this message   

(Login RexC.)
Members

Great, no wonder I couldn't find one....

May 22 2008, 11:07 AM 

It seems to be either diverting fuel back to the tank(s) or just limiting it down to a dribble, maybe I can just by pass it. Thanks for the information.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - O/T 1984 F-250 Fuel Pump?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index