Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Kelsey-Hayes Calipers?

August 12 2008 at 11:59 AM
  (Login caharmon)
Members

Did Kelsey-Hayes make disk brake parts for Ford, and/or Mercury in 1967?

Please look at Ebay item number 220268194991

Would these calipers fit on my 63 R Code? Better yet, can anyone give me a list of factory parts that would allow me to put either front wheel, or better yet 4 wheel non-power disk brakes on my car.

I know that there are complete aftermarket kits available. However, unless, these aftermarket kits are much less expensive, I'd just as soon use factory parts from other Ford products that are compatible, and reasonably easy to find.

Thanks

Cliff

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login 69Chop1)
Members

Calipers

August 12 2008, 12:54 PM 

Cliff,
We have a local all Ford salvage yard. I think about 72 and newer Ford Galaxie disk brake parts will bolt into the 60s big Fords. Call Joe at 800-359-0970.

69Chop1

Respond to this message   

Beoweolf
(Login beoweolf)
Members

Unsolicited advice: just let this one go....

August 12 2008, 1:09 PM 

Every other sentence from the seller is an excuse. some one said this .... I think that these are ... I'm not sure about that. Buying pig in a poke, for $200; with no real information is not a bargain.

Either hit the junkyards yourself, check the archives for information on which factory take-offs work  or save up your money and buy a decent, already scienced-out kit.

Besides, the Kelsy-Hayes brake are more curiosities than something you find most guys Swapping "To". They are expensive to maintain, the pistons have a tendency to stick/rust. I did mention expensive to rebuild, maintain and difficult to find replacments for - they are an 'orphan' system. 

Unless I were restoring a Factory 7-liter (1966 on up) and wanted a class winning effort, or I had access to a full and free parts car - I would find a solution which provided me with more modern, easier to maintain parts. 

Respond to this message   

(Login TA28)
Members

they are off 65/66 thunderbird

August 12 2008, 1:19 PM 

those are the large k/h calipers off 65 66 thunderbird. they were also used on 66/67 galaxie and up to 69 lincohn's
lin used 5x5 bolt pattern tbird and galx 4.5x5 pattern
and yes they are ford products.ok made for ford.

for working on 64 galx I DONO dont own 1

most of other parts are still available---hardest part to get is hub-- as replacement rotors come hubless.

chris

check with sell what bolt pattern is.so your wheels will work.as i said hubs are realy hard to find because they were used on the 69/70 boss302 trans am race cars.

Respond to this message   

(Login pcode390)
Members

Re: Kelsey-Hayes Calipers?

August 12 2008, 1:59 PM 

I would call MasterPower Brakes about their disk brake conversion kit for your car. During the conversation ask them what year & make spindles/calipars/rotors/master cylinder are use with the conversion kit since you were concerned about servicing those parts after they were installed.

With that information you can hit the boneyard for the spindles and the parts store for the stacked calipars & rotors. I would assume the brake lines would be from the same make/model/year the only other parts to figure out would be the tie rod ends.

jmo. ww

Respond to this message   

(Login hfranks)
Members

Yes, 65-7 Ford Merc, and 63 R Code per F.I.A. document and other sources.....

August 12 2008, 3:20 PM 

The later Ford Merc one piston spindle/caliper/rotor will bolt on but the geometry is slightly off due to design for a different track width and/or wheel base. They work but the different geometry causes tires to scrub on turns; the sharper the turn, the more they scrub. I went thru all of this. Also, you have to use later wheels that are 15" (to clear the caliper)and have the big center hole.

I don't know if this E Bay guy is legitimate, but I jumped at the chance to get a 4 piston KH set up from a 65 wagon. 65 T Bird calipers and rotors were the same but the spindles were way different. Tried it.

They 65-7 Ford Merc units are correct for retrofitting an R Code. I can fax you docs to support this if you need them. They have the proper geometry. They can use the earlier small center hole 14" or 15" Ford wheels. R Codes were 15". The only thing you need is a 4 1/2 to 4 1/2 adaptor 1" thick for each wheel to clear the caliper. Otherwise you have to hunt up the extremely rare wheels with the special offset to clear the calipers.

I have never had any problems with mine. Earlier posts have stated that the 4 piston KHs were much more precise than the later one piston units, but one piston units were much cheaper to produce.

Hollis Franks
Black 63 1/2 XL R Code
Gray 65 289 Falcon Ranchero

Respond to this message   

Pippin
(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

I am researching brake upgrades for my Mustang, and those

August 12 2008, 3:23 PM 

may be the T-bird parts like i want to install on my Mustang, 12" rotors, 4-piston calipers.

I will be buying NEW calipers from, NAPA or Auto Zone for about $100 each and a pair of rotors for about the same. Id rather take the new parts, then a rusty froze up set of junk... for almost the same $$$.

Ford used to sell the adapter for the spindles, but now Mustang guys are making them to fit other spindles.

1967 FE 390GT engine: 416 CID 233/238* @ 0.050 Solid Lifter w/ 4 spd TL.
1968 GT/CS Mustang. 289/c4
1995 Mercedes e320 I6 DOHC, 216 HP wagon.
2003 Tundra SR5, 4.7 DOHC, 4x4.
Another Galaxie (one day.)

Oh and a Bicycle - daily driver to save gas for the 'F'un 'E'xcursions.

Respond to this message   

(Login TA28)
Members

you can't get hubs they don't come with rotor.

August 12 2008, 4:51 PM 

try the tbird dealers all sell just rotor no hub! as for calipers SSBC use to redo them. dont think napa will have them.most are 150$ ea rebuilt w/50 core deposit.

spindles for tbird -not that hard to get.
hubs -almost impossible but do know of alum unit repro 300/400 set
the bracket to mount to mustang drum spindle you talk about are being repo 150 set

realize this was used in/on 69 boss t/a cars mod done by ford for its race cars.

14 will not clear caliper
15 will as hollis said i have 1/2 spacer up front but after market rims.

look at cobra automotive the sell the complete set up for mustang think it 1900.$ ??? the also sell the parts.

200 for complete set up ok price
seller didn't need to spray paint them!! LOL

Respond to this message   

(Login gragan)
Members

Cliff,

August 12 2008, 3:46 PM 

call Master Power Brakes in Mooresville,N.C. and ask for Pat. He will fix you up with a complete disc brake kit for less than 800.00 bucks. You use the stock spindles. Kit uses 71' full size LTD 11&7/8ths rotor and a 71'-72' Chev truck caliper. All new parts, even a quart of fluid and everything else you need. Don

Respond to this message   

(Login fordsel)
Members

disc brakes

August 12 2008, 4:46 PM 

i used 77 t-bird spindles and brakes, they bolt right on 57 to 64 full size fords. plus they are cheap at your local salvage yard.

Respond to this message   

Dave King
(Login FrameRotBlues)
Members

I agree, the K-H calipers aren't really worth the xtra effort.

August 12 2008, 5:19 PM 

Don't get me wrong, the Kelsey-Hayes 4-piston calipers work great. They're just really difficult to get service parts for.

For instance, the generic part number for the brake pads is D1. That's it, just D1. The pads only come in organic, no semi-metallics or copper-ceramics to choose from, only riveted or bonded, depending on the manufacturer. And if you go up to the part guy and ask for pads, he'll get you some from '68 and on Fullsize Fords, and when you ask for D1 pads by number, he'll just laugh. Took some good part guys an hour of searching and calling on the phone to Raybestos to get the right number.

You can still get the piston seals and O-rings from Napa, but I don't know for how much longer. If your pistons or bores are rusty, replacements even with an acceptable core are spendy.

The hoses are next to impossible to find, and if you need replacements you'll have to have them custom-made. They don't use banjo-type fittings, they use a screw-in hose like the drum brakes, except neither the threads on the wheel side, nor the outer mounting surface of the frame side, nor the length of the hose match the drum brake version.

The rims with the special offset, as Hollis mentioned, are tough to locate as well. If you go with spacers and more-or-less standard rims, you'll probably need extra-long wheel studs, which are made by ARP, but it seems when I bought 10 from them in 2004, they were $90 for a package of 5.

I don't know about the rotors yet, as I haven't had to replace them.

And to make it worse, there are actually two versions of this caliper, but I'm not sure how they're different, as I haven't had two side-by-side to compare. There's a Mustang version and a Fullsize version, and I believe they were an option in '65, but those are different than the 66-67 version.

So, if you choose to go the Kelsey route, good luck.

-Dave

Respond to this message   
Steve Heer
(Login steveheer)
Members

K/H calipers

August 12 2008, 5:49 PM 

They DO reproduce the K/H calipers for Mustangs. I purchased a pair new castings made in the US for $220. I just did the swap over the winter and they work GREAT!! They very well could be different than the full size car calipers though.

Steve
67 Mustang fb FE 431ci

Respond to this message   

(Login TA28)
Members

major differance between them.

August 12 2008, 6:25 PM 

mustang is much smaller in size to the tbird and will not bolt up either 1 to either set up.(bird won't fit stang-stang won't fit bird)you need special bracket and drum spindle to bolt tbird caliper onto stang.oh forgot and tbird rotor/hub.

parts are availble but calipers i would have rebuilt by SSBC but they dont do that type of work anymore.
as for pads hawk make them and so do portafield but later is race compound.for lines have SS braid made be done with it -cross overs are aval at classic tube.

Respond to this message   

(Login oldfordman)
Members

Brakes

August 12 2008, 8:08 PM 

Looks like those Ford four calipers are not so popular. Oh well if someone would like a pair, I have them. With new pads and rebuild kits ( steel pistons and seals )for the calipers. I also have the rotors with hub. Used but good. They came off a '67 Mercury full sized wagon. I have two of the wheels also.

Email me if interested. They are just in my way.

Paul W

Respond to this message   

(Login TA28)
Members

paul email sent

August 13 2008, 7:23 AM 

i am interest paul email sent thanks chris

Respond to this message   

(Login TorinoBP88)
Members

Steve, which ones did you get?

August 13 2008, 1:20 AM 

Can you send me info/link?

cavepainting@hotmail.com

thanks.

1967 FE 390GT engine: 416 CID 233/238* @ 0.050 Solid Lifter w/ 4 spd TL.
1968 GT/CS Mustang. 289/c4
1995 Mercedes e320 I6 DOHC, 216 HP wagon.
2003 Tundra SR5, 4.7 DOHC, 4x4.
Another Galaxie (one day.)

Oh and a Bicycle - daily driver to save gas for the 'F'un 'E'xcursions.

Respond to this message   

(Login jwtdvm)
Members

re k-h calipers

August 13 2008, 6:19 AM 

kelsey hays for big fords came on 65 t birds and lincolns and in 66 and 67 moved onto galaxies as well--great calipers but sticking problems well noted by all and stainless steel linings and pistons solve problem. I did this thru Post Brake Restorations---spent about 600.00 just to rebuild the calipers--but used to be my uncles car and he swapped his old 57 drums for brand new 66 rotors/calipers off a 66 7-litre car--the 7 litre owner was determined to use some wire wheels he bought but would not fit the discs--brand new car so my uncle said no problem i will swap over the brakes for you.--nostalgia made me spend the 600.00--if had to do it again for about that money can get SS brakes caliper/rotors/pads--the whole ball if wax.--I have also used 68-72 big galaxie many a time--get the spindles and all--they bolt right up--rotors are available and reman calipers at auto zome about 50 bucks---only problem i have had is the hub is larger and early galaxie wheels wont fit--gotta use the wheels from 68-72--just swome thoughts

Respond to this message   

(Login tomposthuma)
Members

K-H brakes

August 13 2008, 10:21 AM 

I have some of those calipers to sell too. In my opinion, rebuild them and they'd be the best choice. The 66-67 disc brakes were serious performance brakes and later years just got cheaper brakes, not better.

Why do you think Baer and Brembo and AP don't make single piston, small rotor "upgrade" kits? A 67 Mustang or Galaxie had the biggest most powerful brake possible to stuff into the 14" or 15" wheels they used.

Respond to this message   

(Login musclestang48335)
Members

Caliper

August 13 2008, 2:10 PM 

I bought rebuilt calipers for my 67 Fairlane Duel Kelsey Hayse from Auto Zone they ordered them for me I think they were 68 each w exchange but I think there is a high core charge Hope that helps alittle

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Kelsey-Hayes Calipers?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index