Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Questions on Kieth Craft Heads:

September 16 2008 at 7:48 AM

qikBBstang  (Login qikbbstang)
Members

On a recent thread these pics were posted.
1) What Stage KC head are these pictures of?...
2)These obviously have awsome flow rates, what are the H&W dimensions of both the I & E ports at the flanges and perhaps wishfull thinking Port CCs?.....

3) Are there any problems as far as heat sink/heat disapation or support using a greatly exposed exhaust guide as pictured in a daily driver/street-strip car or is this something better only done on "race heads"?.....

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login karjalai)
Members

I`m also interested what is difference between stage 2 and stage 3? n/m

September 16 2008, 12:20 PM 

n/m

Respond to this message   

(Login 67redrocket)
Members

also interested

September 16 2008, 1:04 PM 

Maybe Keith him self could post a picture showing the different porting stages.

Respond to this message   

(Login Keithc8)
Members

Heads, differences

September 16 2008, 11:06 PM 

Here are some differences in the heads we call stage 2 and stage 3. Both heads are CNC ported on our own DMG80 5 a CNC machine. We design and test a port and if we find that it works for the application we then digitize that port and write a program so it will be machined the same every time on every head. This saves porting time and is much more accurate than hand porting. All heads have casting shift in them and following the port that is there does not get the same rsults all of the time. These programs are generated of the dowl hole in the head and bore centers. This also makes sure that the port is located over the cylinder the same all the time on every cylinder. There is more to head work than just the flow numbers.
The stage 2 head is designed more toward our street engine customers and street/strip customers with camshafts under .650 lift. The stage 2 head uses a 2.19 valve on the intake and 1.75 on the exhaust. We do a smaller valve version for the smaller bore engines. You have to get to about a 4.165 bore before these valve sizes can be used. We also do a 2.15/1.66 and a 2.09/1.66 port as well. We are now using 11/32 guides on the 2.19/1.75 for weight savings and a little extra flow. I will double check the port cc sizes but the intake is in the 165cc range and the exhaust is in the 130 cc range. The intake openings on the stage 2 head is not much bigger than a regular Medium Riser head and the same goes for the exhaust opening. We have the exhaust opening where most any production header will work fine. These heads are made to flow best in the .200 to .600 lift range for street engines. The intake flows about 324cfm @ .600 lift and the exhaust flows about 235 @ .600 lift with a 2x6 stub pipe which we feel gives us a more accurate reading. We are currently doing some fine tuning on the exhaust to work better with the current Edelbrock castings which we feel will get the exhaust flow up a little. What does all this add up to for you. Well if you use our stage 2 heads on a 482 C.I. FE engine with a 4.250 bore/4.250 bore, 10.5 to 1 compression, camshaft in the 242/248 range with about .630 lift, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 750 carburetor and a decent rocker arm system like the Erson you will make about 590 to 600HP and about 600 to 610 ft/lbs torque. We have used these heads on mild race engines with about 12 .5 to 1 compression, 268/276 @ .050 camshaft with about .740 lift and a Edelbrock Victor Jr intake to make a easy 700HP.
You want more we go to the Edelbrock stage 3 heads with a 2.25/1.75 11/32 valve with a intake port that is about 185cc and an exhaust that is about 140ccs. These heads are desgned for high lift camshafts or very large cubic inch enignes. They work best with higher compression and camshaft at .700 and up. These heads flow all the way to .900 with no problem. We have used these on 482 to 527 C.I. engines to make well over 800HP and up to 900HP in all out race applications. These flow about 370/270 @ .800 lift and 380/280 @ .900 lift.
When it comes to Ford heads we prety much have them all covered since we have all of our own equipment do them from design to CNC porting to CNC valve jobs on our new Newen 100,000.00 valve job machine. It is expensive but if you want to be on the cutting edge you have to have this stuff. With this Newen machine I can do you a valve job with 20 angles if that is what works best. We will CNC port a head and then try 10 different valve job with different widths and angle to see what works the best. We also do different valve jobs depending on how the head will be used.
We have programs on all of the Blue Thunder stuff as well. We have a Blue Thunder MR program which is for street and strip use that flows about 350/260 @ .700 lift and can be made to flow more but if you are real serious we go up to the Blue Thunder High Riser head that we have a nice program that flows about 405 cfms on the intake and 280 cfms on the exhaust @ .900 lift.
We also have programs on all Blue Thunder heads including the new BBF Thor heads that flow 580/400 @ .950 lift for serious HP. Have a nice C460 port and just about all of the small block stuff including the FR NASCAR D3 head as well as the Blue Thunder 4.3 SBF head. These both flow about 440 on the intake and 290 on the exhaust. Pretty good for a small block head and why they are making 900HP with some of the small block stuff now.
We also have a lot of experience with the factory cast iron heads from the 390, 428CJ and 427MR. We have customers that have or had NHRA National Records with all three kinds of these heads. Rec LeBalnc, Shawn LeBlanc, Robert Pond, Richie Pauley, Chris Whitney, Don Keen, Al Keen and several I can not remember at the moment. Set first NHRA record with an FE back in 1980 so we have been doing them for a while.
Back to the Edelbrock heads, they have a very thick deck and can be milled up to .100 with no problem. We have had no problems with engine temprature problems or guide issues. You have to remember that these same guides are used in engines with blowers and turbos which have exhaust tempratures as high as 1600 to 1700 degrees. This is why they have to have special alloy exhaust valves.
What people forget about a cylinder head porting is how important the valve job is and the angle on the valves. We do stock 428CJ heads that with the valve job done right and the valves faced right with a little bowl cut work along with a few other tricks will flow 275 @ .500 on the intake and 210 @ .500 on the exhaust and make 550HP on a NHRA 428CJ stocker with the stock compression of 10.6 to 1, hydraulic camshaft with .525 lift, factory cast iron intake and a factory Holley 735 vacuum secondary carburetor. It is just cheaper to do the aluminum heads with the cost of these casting going through the roof. Shawn LeBlancs Super Stock 428CJ engine with 10.8 to 1 compression, solid roller camshaft, .065 over bore, factory cast iron CJ heads ported with brazing in the intake and exhaust so that they will check the factory 155cc intake and 123 cc exhaust runner volume rules. They have to be the size they were from the factory but we can move them around some. Stainless steel valves that are the factroy 2.099/1.66 stock size, after market intake with the factroy 735 Holley vacuum secondary carburetor and this engine makes 573ft/lbs of torque and 742HP and went 8.98 @ 148 MPH in his 1990 Mustang Sallen GT/A 4 speed car. Not bad for a factroy cast iron head and a truck engine.
I think that people get a little caught up in flow numbers and that is it what sells heads. We use a Super Flow 1050 Flow Bench. I have found very few people that know how to flow heads right and very few shops that will get the same flow numbers because of benches or operators. As long as you are using the same tool and you are making progress it really does not matter. If you have two heads side beside and flow them on the same bench on the same day then you can compare them. I will tell you what HP our heads will make and that is all that matters in the end. You do not race flow benches and the fuel is not going through the port like on the engine unless you have a wet flow bench and it still is not exact. Hope that this helped a little on head technology and feel free to ask any more questions. Thanks, Keith Craft

Respond to this message   

George Vega
(Login cobrajet428)
Members

Re: Heads, differences

September 17 2008, 4:07 AM 

I'm very impressed and when I get ready for a new set of heads, I'll look you up!

67 428 Mustang Fastback Super Pro Drag Car
92 F150 P/U Trk
2002 BMW 3.0i Z3 Roadster
90 Acura Integra

Respond to this message   

(Login 1966Tbird)
Members

wow i am impressed

September 17 2008, 8:19 AM 

i will probably be calling you when i need a new set of heads as well, are the prices listed on your website?

Respond to this message   

(Login Keithc8)
Members

Heads

September 17 2008, 10:17 PM 

We have a lot of them lisrted with the price but not all of them are on there. Just give us a call if you do not find what you want. Keith

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Questions on Kieth Craft Heads:
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index