Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

SOHC into Ford Fairmont - Questions

December 14 2008 at 8:22 AM

Jay Brown  (Login jaybnve)
Members

Thinking about a new project car. Pretty soon I will have two rather stout SOHC engines that need homes. The big one will go into my 64 Galaxie, to help muscle that 3900 lb. behemoth around. But the smaller one (the one that was in the Galaxie for Drag Week this year) is homeless at this point.

I have a couple early Mustangs I could put it into, but they would require some major surgery to the shock towers to make the engine fit. I'm looking for a car where no front end surgery is required. Also trying to minimize the weight of the vehicle. And I don't want to go with a late model Mustang, because there are so many of them out there.

I've been giving some consideration to a Mercury Bobcat (Mercury's Pinto) that a friend of mine has. It already has the Pinto front end (wink.gif), and it is plenty wide to fit the cammer. But the engine compartment is short, and the engine would have to be pushed back behind the stock firewall to comfortably fit the car.

Yesterday another friend of mine suggested a Ford Fairmont. He said that the engine compartment was much longer in a Fairmont, and they are not a very heavy car.

My questions are regarding engine compartment dimensions and weight. I've looked at pictures of the engine compartments of some Fairmonts, and it looks like the strut towers would be the limiting factors in terms of width. Does anyone know what the distance between the strut towers is on a Fairmont, say about 6" down from the top of the tower? (This would be about where the widest part of the SOHC would be.) Rory McNeil, if you are out there, how much room is there between the tops of the heads at the exhaust ports and the strut towers on your car? Knowing that would give me the same information...

Also, does anyone know the length of the engine compartment, from the firewall to the radiator support?

Anyone have a good photo of the engine compartment of one of these cars, without an engine installed?

Finally, I've been told that the lightest Fairmonts are the ones without the metal post in the roof. How heavy are these cars? I would want to put one together with a lightweight interior (racing buckets, carpeted interior with no back seat, etc.), SOHC and C-4, and a 9". The SOHC, C-4, and 9" together will weigh about 1000 pounds. The car would also have to have the full NHRA cage and all the normal safety equipment. Would it be possible to make the entire car weigh less than 2750 pounds with this running gear?

Thanks in advance for any information - Jay

Jay Brown
1968 Shelby GT 500 Convertible, 492" 667 HP FE
1969 R code Mach 1, 490" supercharged FE, 9.35 @ 151.20, 2007 Drag Week Runner Up, Power Adder Big Block
2005 Ford GT, 2006 Drag Week Winner, 12.0 Daily Driver
1969 Ford Galaxie XL, 460 (Ho Hum....)
1964 Ford Galaxie 500, 510" SOHC

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Mario428)
Members

I think it would fit easily except for headers

December 14 2008, 8:33 AM 

My Fairmont is sitting in the shop now under a cover. I will get some pics and whatever dimensions you are looking for.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

My car in the pic weight 2800ish with the iron head 428 and C-4 in it.

The shock towers are plenty wide, it would be trying to get chassis headers thru that would be an issue. A tube x-member would be a given. I ened up wrapping tubes around the frame rails just for ease of install.
Steering column relocation would also be required, the exh port would point right at it.

Respond to this message   

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

Thanks Mario...

December 14 2008, 10:17 AM 

I'll look forward to the dimensions.

Isn't your car a full tube frame car? I was trying to do this with subframe connectors, factory firewall, and a cage welded to 6X6 plates on the floor. Are you pretty sure about the steering column relocation? Did you have to do that with your car?

Jay Brown
1969 R code Mach 1, 490" supercharged FE, 9.35 @ 151.20, 2007 Drag Week Runner Up, Power Adder Big Block

Respond to this message   

(Login Mario428)
Members

Fairmont is a back half car

December 14 2008, 11:15 AM 

T-Bird is a full chassis car. Had to move the column in mine, was much easier than building headers around it. Just dropped it at the firewall a couple of inches.
When I built the tubing x-member I dropped the stock manual rack 3 inches, made a much better oil pan. Used bump spacers at the steering arms to fix geometry.
May have pics at home I can post or email.

Respond to this message   

(Login GJCAT427)
Members

Jay, I have a 64 Fairlane wagon you could put it in!

December 14 2008, 8:47 AM 

Towers allready cut for the FE TP! LOL. Really I don`t know how wide a Fairmont is but as far as the length , they put 6`s in them so that is a non issue for the SOHC. would it be light? Not sure you could get it that light without some major surgery. Are you planning street use?

Respond to this message   

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

That would be cool...

December 14 2008, 10:19 AM 

I like 64 Fairlanes. Not sure I could meet the weight goals with that, though.

I am planning street use; I don't build any cars that are dedicated drag cars, because the nearest track is too far away for me to justify that.

Jay Brown

Respond to this message   
Randall
(Login scbolt)
Members

Re: SOHC into Ford Fairmont - Questions

December 14 2008, 9:07 AM 

These pics are from a 78 Fairmont sedan. All fox bodies Fairmonts,Mustangs and
etc are the same. This one has a 351 stroker. The distance between the towers
is right at 33.5 inches

Randall

Respond to this message   

Scott66gta
(Login Scott66gta)
Members

lotsa room except....

December 14 2008, 10:03 AM 

the area that the lower control arm bolts to, can get in the way of headers, etc... The photos above have allieviated the issue somewhat... I know a 460 can fit into a FOX body w/ more than 5" to spare....

Respond to this message   

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

Thanks! Those pics help a lot...

December 14 2008, 10:23 AM 

The SOHC is at 31" wide at the widest point of the valve covers, so it sounds like it would fit. And I'll bet I could sneak the headers through there. What is the steering rack and lower control arm setup? Is that fabricated stuff, or is it a bolt on kit that can be purchased?

Jay Brown

Respond to this message   
Randall
(Login scbolt)
Members

Re: Thanks! Those pics help a lot...

December 14 2008, 11:03 AM 

The rack and steering shaft are made by Flaming River brought thru Summit.

The LCAs are made by UPR. Many other companies make these also. Fox body

aftermarket parts are easy to come by.

I think the other Cammer Fairmont was in Super Ford magazine back in the 90s?

Here is a picture of my Fairmont wagon with a stock K-member

Respond to this message   
michael
(Login phonedude)
Members

I remember a SF article about a B9 fairmont...

December 14 2008, 11:22 AM 

it was actually about 2 fairmonts: one with a 429 SCJ,
the other with a boss 429. This was probably late 80s / early 90s.

I don't recall one about a SOHC fairmont (doesn't mean it didn't
happen, I'm just saying I don't recall it).

Respond to this message   
RJP
(Login RJP)
Members

Already been done...

December 14 2008, 10:01 AM 

Jay, a while back I ran across an article in one of the car magazines that featured a Fairmont with a Cammer but I don't remember witch mag. it was and it has been packed away and in storage. Maybe someone else remembers this article. Edit to add: If memory serves the article was in Mustangs and Fords mag.

60 Starliner 460, 61 Starliner 427, 66 Galaxie 428, 67 Fairlane 427, 66 Fairlane 390, 69 F-250 390, 72 Lincoln 460 and 3 Ford powered Hotboats

Respond to this message   

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

Thanks...

December 14 2008, 10:24 AM 

If you or anybody else runs across that magazine, please let me know...

Jay Brown

Respond to this message   
michael
(Login phonedude)
Members

-1 for the bobcat/pinto

December 14 2008, 10:41 AM 

yeah, it would have a crazy hp/weight ratio, but ultimately you're still
going fast in a pinto, know what I mean?

I don't think you have that many choices: Ford's "light" cars
all had shock towers (falcon/mustang/fairlane/maverick/granada/etc.).
The fox cars (mustang/fairmont) would work, but there are tons of
1979+ mustangs out there. The fairmonts can look good (esp. the futura
model), but they definitely don't have the 60s muscle car vibe.

You already have a galaxie. The only other full-frame options
are 1972+ Gran Torinos or some kind of truck. While both would be cool,
I'm not sure either would be as light as you're looking for (though
I'm not sure how much a truck weighs in at).

The fairmont might be your best bet. Or consider a MII front end
on the mustang/fairlane/falcon/etc.

Just not a pinto wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login hastyb1)
Members

consider this

December 14 2008, 12:07 PM 

Maverick or Comet 70 to 73. You can get a awesome car to start with for 3 to 4 thousand. You can visit Wayne to get ideas on how to get it in and mods. Dyno Don tribute car?

Respond to this message   
Gary B
(Login Garyford)
Members

Prestigious Pinto

December 14 2008, 2:02 PM 

I'm not arguing in favor of the car, cause it seems Fairmonts have many advantages in size and availablity without a huge weight penalty (my 351-C4, 8" rear 71 Pinto weighed 2400#'s), however this is a good opportunity to share a true story:

Back when my kids were knee high, we were computer shopping and couldn't make sense out of nearly identical spec'd units. I asked a salesman about this, and his dumb explanation was "the expensive computer is like a Cadillac and the cheap one is like a Pinto".

My kids, thought Cadillacs were for old men, and having heard good stories about my old Pinto reacted very affirmatively to the "Pinto" computer. The salesguy was totally baffled, I love having kids like that.

Gary B

Respond to this message   

(Login 69Cobra428)
Members

How about in my 69 Fairlane?

December 14 2008, 12:21 PM 

I'll help you install it and even let you drive it on occasion!

J/K

I like the idea of a Fairmont. Just get the Futura model (it's the one that does not have the boxy roof). My sister had a 1979 Futura and I just think it looks better than the other model....

Doug S
1969 Ford Fairlane Cobra 428CJ: Edelbrock Heads, RPM intake, Comp 294S Cam, FPP Roller Rockers, (468 hp, 489 ft/lbs of torque)

Respond to this message   
RJP
(Login RJP)
Members

Jay, Found it....

December 14 2008, 12:23 PM 

Cammer powered Futura, Mustangs & Fords June 2001. Titled "Back to the Futura" [pg 32] only a 2 page spread, I thought there was more. Does have a nice shot of the engine.

60 Starliner 460, 61 Starliner 427, 66 Galaxie 428, 67 Fairlane 427, 66 Fairlane 390, 69 F-250 390, 72 Lincoln 460 and 3 Ford powered Hotboats

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

I recall at least two

December 14 2008, 12:38 PM 

There was a silver and black sedan and one that was a Futura "fastback" that might have been red or copper.
A tubing K Member would sure make headers easier to do.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

I guess Rory is still at Dale's...

December 14 2008, 12:40 PM 

Maybe he'll see this

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

I guess Rory is still at Dale's...

December 14 2008, 12:41 PM 

I think Rory would have pictures of his Single Under Head Cam FE showing the header fit. I lost all mine in last puter meltdown.

Hopefully he made it home on the snowy roads and is just recovering from too much Pepsi and will wake up soon.

Respond to this message   

(Login Posi-67)
Members

I'm pretty sure Rory left. At least I didn't notice him while

December 14 2008, 1:00 PM 

cleaning up this morning and he's a bit hard to miss. I like the SOHC Maverick idea. Put a Jerico behind it and you're stylin'....

Respond to this message   
Gary B
(Login Garyford)
Members

Was Rory riding his motorcycle up and down the stairway?

December 14 2008, 3:27 PM 

I heard those supershifter guys can get a little crazy. Hope you had a good time and hope your house is still in one piece Dale happy.gif

(by the way, Patty is stranded in SD and we darn near got stranded coming home from a wedding last night: same cold front all the way from here to the midwest)

Respond to this message   

(Login cammerfe)
Members

Jay, FWIW, the....

December 14 2008, 1:10 PM 

'72 Pinto I built as a Super Ford Magazine Project weighed 2260 with 1150 pounds on the rear wheels. We put in a full 2X3 frame and a cage. Chopped the top by 4", put in a 9" disc brake rear end (Versailles) with four link, and put in a 466 SCJ (385) and C-6. The engine resided entirely (except for the damper and water-pump snout) behind the firewall line. Seats mounted to the original back seat footspace. I believe a Cobra has a 90 inch wheelbase and the Pinto was 92 inches. That engine was all iron including exhaust manifolds. We took the engine out of a half-mile circle track car I had a piece of. The chassis was a rough copy of Carl Holbrook's Don Hardy Pro Stock car. Dave Lyall did most of the fabrication for me. Carl ultimately put a blown Boss 9 in his. I believe that if you put your cammer in a fresh iteration, you'd have a one-of-a-kind vehicle. 'Glass hoods, front fenders and doors, and rear quarters are available.
KS

Respond to this message   

(Login troublemaker2)
Members

How about a Falcon??

December 14 2008, 1:17 PM 

Why not build a '64-'65 Falcon? Use a Mustang II front end to eliminate the shock towers. Crites sell all of the fiberglass you would need to get it real light. I like Fairmounts but I think the Falcon would make a great car.

Jody Aberts
Troublemaker2
1966 Fairlane 427
AA/NSS
9:49@141
1964 Galaxie 500XL
390 p-code 4spd.
1966 F-100
390-C6

Respond to this message   
Alan Casida
(Login AlanCasida)
Members

Maybe a Cammer in a '65 Mustang

December 14 2008, 1:35 PM 

Plenty of room with a R&C Motorsport MII suspension.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login baddad457)
Members

Jay, have you considered an 05-07 Mustang for the SOHC?

December 14 2008, 1:53 PM 

The engine bay in these cars is humongous. MY 06's 3V4.6 is about as wide as the 427 Cammer and there's still at least 6" of room to the strut towers on either side.

Respond to this message   

(Login blueoval67)
Members

Kasse put a Boss 429 in a 2008...

December 14 2008, 2:34 PM 

Plenty of room to spare...not the cheapest way to go but very cool

[linked image]

Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry
Website
http://home.ptd.net/~pwalters

Respond to this message   
Tim Mc
(Login 70SR2)
Members

I vote for a 66 F100 n/m

December 14 2008, 2:16 PM 

1970 Boss 302
1972 F250 Crew Cab (powered by 66 Super Marauder 428)

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)
Members

Nope! Gotta' be a Maverick Pro-Stock clone.....

December 14 2008, 3:03 PM 

http://www.carcraft.com/eventcoverage/fabulous_fords_forever_event/photo_02.html

See how nicely that SOHC looks in Dyno's Maverick! Need a big shoehorn but.....

Respond to this message   

(Login SnakeOnWheels)
Members

Looks like it fits in here with no mods to shock towers

December 14 2008, 3:19 PM 

I'm sure it's tight on the master cylinder...70 71 Torino, 71,72,73 Mustang pretty much the same from the fire wall forward. Mustang has integral P/S. How about 71 Mustang Coupe?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220327870886&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=

Respond to this message   

(Login RM428)
Members

FE Fairmont numbers

December 14 2008, 4:21 PM 

Jay, I just came back in from measuring under the hood of my 428 powered 78 Fairmont. I have 2 other FOX cars, my 85 Mustang Stocker, and a really nice stock 302 79 Zephyr Z7 coupe,which would be a bit easier to measure the actual chassis stuff, but I thought that giving you some numbers with the FE may help. First off, from the firewall to the rad support is 39" at the center. I have the 428 back about as far as it could go without hacking up the stock firewall. The drivers side valve cover is close enough that I can not stick a finger between the valve cover flange and the firewall. I use a normal Edelbrock water pump, and there is 6" between the water pump flange and the rad, which sits in the stock location. I use a normal flex fan with a 3 1/2" long stock Ford fan spacer (66 289 Galaxie, maybe?), and the fan has plenty of room from the fan. The top of the shock towers are a bit over 34"`s apart. Now, the following numbers may be of interest to Mario, Justin, or anybody else with a Fox FE body, as per my engines location in the engine bay. Using the carb air cleaner stud on my Holley 780, on a Sidewinder intake as a central point, it is 11 1/2" from the firewall, 27 1/2" from the rad support, 24 3/4" from the passenger fender top, and 24 5/8" from the drivers fender. This may lead one to think that the engine is centered side to side, but it is not. The Sidewinder is offset by at least 1 inch to the drivers side. From the top of the exh port casting of my CJ iron heads, to the top of the frame rails is 3 1/2", and there is 3" from the top of the casting to the pass. side shock tower, & 4 1/4" to the drivers side. This was measured using #2 exh. port on the pass. side, #6 on the drivers side. Unlike Mario, I did not move my steering column at all, #8 exh. port pretty much points straight at the steering shafts U joint, but TomP had enough room to put a nice curved tube on the #8 header pipe that clears nicely. I have no idea how the SOHC`s exh. layout would clear however. My engine sits low enough that with the Sidewinder and a 1" carb spacer, I COULD close the flat stock hood, but without enough room for a decent air cleaner. My car still has the stock front K member and steering rack location, which limited how low the engine could sit. As it is, we ground the ribs off the top of the factory manual rack, and used a 4x4 FE pickup rear sump oil pan, with a notch made from 2 1/2" exh. tubing that allows the oil pan to set down and wrap around the rack. The oil pump pickup tube barely clears the tubing notch. When we first did this swap in 1987, there were no aftermarket tubular K members available, using one would free up lots of room underneath, as the huge stock lower conrtol arms and their mounting sources eat up a lot of space. It would have made Tom`s job of building the headers MUCH easier. Some guys convert the front suspension of these FOX cars to front coil overs, but personally, I don`t like the idea of having all that weight placed on the top of the shock towers, which are quite thin, as opposed to the factories coil spring location between the lower control arms and the frame rails, especially on a nose heavy car that does some fairly tall wheelstands from time to time.
My Fairmont is the 2 door sedan body style, rather than the swoopier Futura/Z7 coupe like Marios. I origionaly was looking for a coupe, but this sedan came in as a trade in where I was working at the time, and now I really like the sedans "box top", but it is much harder to find a decent 2 dr sedan compared to a coupe. Having owned several examples of each, I would say the coupe is about 100 lbs heavier than a sedan, although the majority of that difference is the rear of the car, so at least it`s in the right place. I`m not exactly svelte, but with me behind the wheel, ready to run, the car is normally at 3100lbs, could be tad lighter or heavier depending on what I had for breakfast! My car has all it`s original steel body panels, factory aluminum bumpers (although the shock absorbing apparatus has been replaced with tubing), stock windows except for the door glass, which saved less than 20 lbs. It is all stock chassis and floor from the front bumper to just behind the "B" pillar area, where the roll bars main hoop is mounted, from there back is a 2x3" steel rear "back half"with a narrowed Dana 60 with Ladder bars, & a Morrison rear coil spring kit with shocks mounted inside (not a true coil over). The stock dash and interior panels are still there, with 2 plastic race seats and full carpeting.Since I don`t street drive the car, the is no heavy exhaust system after the headers collectors. In reality, I doubt that there is a lighter Ford body package that a FE fits into somewhat easily, that can normally be found quite cheaply than a FOX body, and despite having owned a few 85-86 Mustangs, I prefer the Fairmont Zephyr platform.

428 powered Fairmont drag car, Best ET:10.03@132.11MPH, best 60 ft: 1.29
59 Meteor 2 dr. sedan 332, Ford O Matic
74 F350 ramp truck 390 4speed

Respond to this message   

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

Great! Thanks for all the info Rory...

December 14 2008, 4:47 PM 

My SOHC is about 34" long, so it would fit lengthwise into the engine compartment a lot easier than it would into a Pinto. One thing about the SOHC exhausts is that they point very close to straight down, so I think the headers might not be too bad. Probably wouldn't know for sure until the engine was dummied into place, though...

Jay Brown

Respond to this message   

(Login Bullitt406)
Members

66-79 Shortbox 2WD F100 truck would be killer! n/m

December 14 2008, 5:57 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login 428SCjHardtops)
Members

How about a 66-67 Fairlane

December 14 2008, 3:21 PM 

It would look way cool and could be made light .A 66-67 Cyclone would be cool also.My car with the bar and no light weight panels weighed 3170 with half a tank of fuel.It will be under 3000 next year. [linked image]

69 R code Mustang coupe 68 1/2 R code Mustang coupe 70 ram air Drag Pack Cougar 67 505 F.A.S.T legal Fairlane

Respond to this message   

Bob Sprowl
(Login bsprowl)
Admin

What you really need is something ...

December 14 2008, 4:34 PM 

light. A Cobra Kit Car.

You should be able to get your HP to weight ratio into the 2s.

You only problem will be traction.

Bob

1966 7 Litre Convertible
1959 F-100 (under construction)
2005 GT40 (in my Dreams)

Respond to this message   

(Login corbins)
Members

Maverick

December 14 2008, 4:37 PM 

Respond to this message   

Jay Brown
(Login jaybnve)
Members

Thanks for all the responses...

December 14 2008, 4:55 PM 

The reason I'm not considering a Falcon or a Fairlane is because of the necessity of cutting the shock towers. I'm looking for a bolt in deal, with minimal fabrication; if I wanted to cut the shock towers I could do it to my 68 Mustang fastback, which is a pretty clean car, or another 69 Mustang fastback that I have (not my Mach 1). I think that takes the Maverick idea out of the running also, although I agree that an SOHC Maverick would be pretty cool.

I have to admit I still like the idea of the Pinto/Bobcat. They're ugly, but who would expect a cammer in one? With that short wheelbase it would be a pretty wild ride down the quarter mile. And it would be LIGHT. But I don't really want to relocate the firewall.

From the responses it sounds like the Fairmont/Zephr would be an excellent choice. Something to think about...

Jay Brown

Respond to this message   

(Login hendawg57)
Members

Cammer in a pinto

December 14 2008, 5:59 PM 

Randy Cruse think that's the right spelling. He had a Cammer powered Pinto back in the 80's, he's from nothern california. Used to go down to sacramento and do some drag racing. Heard it was a tube chassis car recently. I don't know for certain though. Last pass I heard about was in the 9's, shutdown at the 1000 foot mark after losing the hood. That was about 20 years ago, with the work you did on yours, it would be much faster.

Respond to this message   

(Login pinto427)
Members

pinto

December 17 2008, 6:06 PM 

I did a pinto in 1973 with acammer in it.ran 9.80-9.90 I live in ILL. john

Respond to this message   

(Login ERA428)
Members

Talk to Mr Bob or Bill Glidden

December 15 2008, 3:02 AM 

Jay Mr Bob partially race FE fords and on to Cleveland motor. Last I heard he still has his world champ Pro stock car. I think if you call or e-mail he might let you get alot of pictures of his car. Mario's car is a good looking car also. With all the power you are maken, I think the Maverick is too short a wheel base, same with your Mach 1 and going over 150 mph. You need more down force. Rick L.

Respond to this message   

Dave King
(Login FrameRotBlues)
Members

I think you could fit TWO Cammers in a ...

December 14 2008, 7:42 PM 

1972 Mercury Montego.

JMHO, as always!
-Dave

Respond to this message   

(Login 1320lane)
Members

I know a guy with a '72 Ranchero GT he's wanting to sell (think it's a 429 car)

December 14 2008, 7:53 PM 

it's in OKC

Respond to this message   

(Login hendawg57)
Members

Hey Jay, if you have access to Hot Rod Archieve's

December 15 2008, 12:22 AM 

possibly at the local college, they sometimes have them in the library, I am sure that all the idea's have at one time or another been accomplished, I agree that the Pinto idea would be killer, I like the idea of driving a street car that can scare the crap out of any passenger with just the slight pressure of the right foot. I think a SOHC in a MG midget would be exhilirating, yeah, I know, it's not a Ford, but hey, you said you were looking for light, you did mention that it had to fit between the fenders, but does it have to have a flat hood? There was a fiberglass car, forget who built them, that used a 351 windsor, mounted behind the driver, they were rebuilding it on the show Chop, Cut, and Rebuild. Oh, wait, how about an Alpine Sunbeam, Sunbeam Tiger, you could call it a "Bengal Tiger", since they are the largest of that family. In reality, it's whatever you can live with and want to spend the time building. I for one will love to hear about the build as it happens, hopefuly this one isn't a secret project.

Respond to this message   

Neville (Australia)
(Login ford_fe)
Members

Turn it around and stick it in the GT n/m

December 15 2008, 12:37 AM 

n

Respond to this message   

(Login sportyworty)
Members

69 Shelby

December 15 2008, 3:49 AM 

Jay I have a 69 Fastback that was cloned into a Shelby in the early 80's with all original glass. It would look killer as a race car as these are rarely cloned. can sell for under 10k and it is solid. Sorry just read all the posts and see you do not want to cut.

Respond to this message   

(Login Posi-67)
Members

69 Shelby's do make a cool looking race car, but

December 15 2008, 9:51 AM 

as Jay said, shock tower cars are out. I don't know who's this is, but it's going to be sweet when done.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login sportyworty)
Members

here it is anyway

December 15 2008, 1:53 PM 

I just found it tucked away for 20 years. Busted windshield and it is raining cats and dogs today so sparayed simple green on it and let the rain get the first bite. It had 2 car covers on it parked under an Oak tree in Sacramento. Also apologize for going O/T but it would make a great race car for Jay and not looking to retire on it here. Cracks on side are actual pine needles as it is storming here.

Respond to this message   
Tom P
(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Dale... when it's done?

December 15 2008, 3:08 PM 

Considering the picture is taken in 2022 and it isn't done yet!

Respond to this message   

(Login XR7)
Members

I believe it is now.... has a BBF 598 and Lenco in it.....

December 15 2008, 5:43 PM 

he posts on ford460.com and yes it is a beauty.

68 Cougar XR7 street and strip car, 428 4-speed, 3560# of fun, new best 10.43@131.2 1.47 60 ft

Respond to this message   
rcodecj Nick
(Login rcodecj)
Members

Do the Bobcat

December 15 2008, 5:50 PM 

Just move the engine back, no problem.
Horsepower to weight would be incredible.
Parts breakage would be less becaue of the weight issue.
No one is doing it now.
Fiberglass parts for pintos may still be available.
Pinto rack and pinion is still being used.
You still like the idea.
Do it!

Respond to this message   

(Login MsgtJoe)
Members

Buy a Fairmont Futura and

December 15 2008, 6:27 PM 

sell me the Bobcat! I have been looking for another one since I had to leave my wife's in Germany. Seriously, the Fox platform of a Fairmont will be so much easier to work with than a Bobcat, and it would handle much better with that much power. Brakes, K-members, struts, rear axles,--everything that will work on a Fox mustang will work on a fairmont, and is readily available. Joe-JDC.

Respond to this message   

(Login MT63AFX)
Members

Yeah Jay, you can lighten the Futura by making it a Fuchero, LOL, I'm going to bed now.n/m

December 15 2008, 11:19 PM 

Mickey Thompson's 63 1/2 #997 S/S Hi-Rise 427 Lgt/Wgt Galaxie,
1957 C-600 Cab-over carhauler w/390-4V, 2-speed rear-end
FGCofA member #4908
MCGC member #75

"There will ALWAYS be an FE in my LiFE"

Respond to this message   

(Login qikbbstang)
Members

No one listened! Jay from Economics/Pizzazz point.......and Kick-ass-fast-SOHC

December 16 2008, 7:42 AM 

You mentioned Light Weight (Torinos/Station Wagons etc?) and obviously that aids getting a quick car big time. I kind of wonder why folks get into projects with "not-so-desireable" cars/bodies. A Mustang Race Car/Street Car will pull more resale money and garner more pizzazz/attention from viewers/fans then lets say a Maverick or Pinto. Since the shell is almost insignificant in terms total $$ outlay the popular body makes to me more sense.
I think a 2010 Mustang would be a big hit but then again there will be all sorts of legal nightmares with using a "body in white" or designated "cheap from Ford Racing to be race shell" Ditto even taking a brand new car and changing it to race trim.

In these tough economic times I'd think finding a Used Race Car would be very economical for getting a chassis and all those high dollart parts cheaper then you could ever find them individually. There will be a bundle of NASCAR race cars for sale now. You want *****light-weight***** and something to show off a SOHC in a Fiat would be wild. You'd have a SAFE capacity for speed, unreal light-weight, an ability to hook off the line and the complex Race-Car part mostly done you'd be more into the Street Legal Dept.

http://www.racecar2000.com/classifieds/view-ad-19129.html

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=fiat+drag+&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://www.racecar2000.com/classifieds/view-ad-19207.html

Respond to this message   

(Login thunderkiss65)
Members

How about an '83 Thunderbird?

December 16 2008, 3:55 PM 

They have some drag history too.

Lots of parts interchangable with the Fox chassis.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - SOHC into Ford Fairmont - Questions
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index