Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rocker arm shafts

March 5 2009 at 4:44 PM
  (Login boaterbob1)
Members

Put #43 Holly jets in my heads to slow down oil flow. I still see alot of oil flowing out between the shafts and rockers and i still get smoke on start up but after i'm on the highway it goes away and doesn't come back. So the ? what wears the rockers or the shafts or are both usually the culprit? It's a solid lifter fe looks to be ford assemblys. Also are hydraulic shafts the same? Thanks again Bob P

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login tomposthuma)
Members

rocker

March 5 2009, 5:08 PM 

If you have worn rockers or shafts you do not want to use restrictors. Shutting off oil to a bad bearing is never the way to make it better.
If the smoke is coming out the exhaust and not the engine bay it had nothing to do with rockers. You may have worn out valve guides or broken or missing valve seals. Restricting oil flow may make it smoke less but will accelerate the wear. Chances are the pieces of valve seals are clogging the oil drains in the head.

Respond to this message   

(Login hastyb1)
Members

worn rockers or

March 5 2009, 5:08 PM 

the shaft is on upside down.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login boaterbob1)
Members

Re: worn rockers or

March 5 2009, 6:02 PM 

Thanks guys, Shafts are on correct i checked them and drain holes are clear. Must have bad guides or a couple broken seal, I'll check them Thanks Bob P

Respond to this message   

(Select Login ford428cj)
Members

Also what are you using for Valve steam seals???

March 5 2009, 6:28 PM 

If its a umbrella seal, you will always have some smoke. A positive seal would be the best! But like mentioned above, worn rockers can cause problems too. JMHO

"The Poor Mans 427"
http://www.fordification.com/poormans427.htm

"The F.E. Wiki Home"
http://fordfe.wetpaint.com/

[linked image]
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon X-Ram 428
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
2001 Polaris 500 SP

Respond to this message   
Bob P
(Login boaterbob1)
Members

Re: Also what are you using for Valve steam seals???

March 5 2009, 7:19 PM 

Thanks i'll check allof that, Just using umbrella seals. How do i check the guides once i have the springs off? Wobble?

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)
Members

Yes....

March 5 2009, 7:39 PM 

push the valve down about 1/2" and try and wiggle it in/out (intake side to exhaust side). Might want to be sure that piston is 'up' so one doesn't lose the valve down the guide! There should be virtually no play since guide-to-stem clearances are usually .0015 -.002. I'll bet though the bigger issue is as previously mentioned: old, dried-up and cracked seals.

This message has been edited by machoneman on Mar 5, 2009 7:40 PM

Respond to this message   
johannarich.
(Login johannarich.)
Members

rocker shaft install

March 6 2009, 8:09 AM 

a stupid question, what exactly is the correct way to install one? i have a similiar problem and was wondering if one or both shafts were "upside down" would it smoke? i've heard that the oiling holes are to be pointed a certain direction to prevent valvestem flooding...

Respond to this message   
Bob P.
(Login boaterbob1)
Members

Re: rocker shaft install

March 6 2009, 12:12 PM 

I hope they just have to be holes down because thats all i checked for.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Rocker arm shafts
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index