Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

This weeks find!

May 2 2009 at 8:35 PM

(Login merc428cj)
Members

Well Im stoked I finally found a major piece to my blown 390 project, a as NOS H&M blower manifold! This leads me to a few questions, if I use edc heads on my 390 and perhaps turn .060-.080 out of the crown of a forged flat top trw piston will this be low enough compression to safely make 6lbs of boost on 98octane? Also can anybody recommend a solid cam profile? Its going in a 3400lbs falcon with 4 speed & 3.5 gears. Also what length drive do I need for a FE? The one in the pic is 5 1/4 inches ...Craig

[linked image]
[linked image]

63.5 427 8V Galaxie
64 289 Galaxie convertable
63 Mercury Marauder 4V 390
XY GT clone 390
XR GT 1 of 596
35 ford 3 window coupe

This message has been edited by merc428cj on May 2, 2009 8:38 PM
This message has been edited by merc428cj on May 2, 2009 8:38 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login tomposthuma)
Members

Lucky bastard!

May 2 2009, 9:34 PM 

You found THAT in Australia? That's a rare piece. The distributor adapter is nice to find too. I wouldn't muck it up with the carbs, that screams for a non-polished blower with an old style fuel injector on top.

The flattops would be better off with a dish carved out or the whole top milled except for a quench pad at original height. You should be fine even if compression is 10 to 1. You guys get better gas than use don't you? Many blown late model cars use 9 to 1 or better.

Respond to this message   

Barry Byer
(Login BarryByer)
Members

Damn!

May 2 2009, 9:50 PM 

That's cool! The carbs aren't going to work worth a crap unless you bolt them down though.

Nice find! Was that local or did you find it in NZ?

53 F100, Volare clip, 4 wheel disc 390-wide ratio toploader
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login FE4spd)
Members

Cool intake

May 2 2009, 10:23 PM 

Be careful cutting those pistons...verify thickness in several spots before you dive in and remove that much material.

Nice to see some old HM stuff floating around....in regards to the cam info, is the car for the drags or a driver? Got some ideas for you based on the use (RPM range).

K

Respond to this message   

(Login merc428cj)
Members

Thanks guys ! I found the intake....

May 2 2009, 11:29 PM 

Here in Australia. I had my 63.5 427 Galaxie at a car show and a fellow fe lover started chatting and said he had some parts I maybe interested in & that piece was amoungst his goodies. BTW the carbs are 600dp's that are external boost referenced so they should work well....I hope!

Yes please share your thoughts on a cam profile! The car is street driven and I dont plan to use any high end parts just a cast crank, stock rods with bolts & a stud kit limited to 6000rpm....Craig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avVb4smrdlQ&feature=related

63.5 427 8V Galaxie
XY GT clone 390
XR GT 1 of 596
35 ford 3 window coupe

This message has been edited by merc428cj on May 3, 2009 5:36 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login BattlestarGalactic)
Members

Sounds like mine...

May 3 2009, 5:49 AM 

stocker rebuild(stock pistons, rods, crank), 1968 390 2bbl motor. Cam I run is one I had laying around from years ago, 240 dur(@.50), .53 lift, solid lifter Crower(from memory, pretty close I think). Probably not the best blower cam, but builds 5-6# boost and runs flawless on 93 oct gas.

I have a 6K chip in the rev limiter, but it goes there instantly. I run two 660 Holleys on mine, and it really likes them. Still tinkering with the tune up.

Talk to BDS about which drive, as I run a Blue Thunder intake and it's basically looks like that(I think they used that to mold it?), it just doesn't have the H/M on it.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

1964 Galaxie 2dr 390/6-71/4spd
1964 Country Sedan Wagon 428/5spd
1969 F100 428/4spd
1967 F100 352/now a 4 spd!
1959 B Model Mack

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)
Members

May...

May 3 2009, 7:21 AM 

want to consult the calculator below and ignore the fact that it's from a bike site:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compression.htm

True blower pistons would be best but milling the flat-tops would be o.k. too for a non-race engine. Cam specs can vary a lot but it should have a fair amount of lift and longer exhaust duration for a street ride. I'd torque on that intake and carefully check the deck surface for trueness as one doesn't want to twist the blower housing. The pop-off valve springs may be shot after all the years of sitting. All the big blower suppliers carry them btw.

Holley's list of recommendations (see Summit's site) is pretty darn good. Many recommend no more than about 8:1 static c/r and up to 7-8 blower psi. I do wonder if one can whack enough piston deck off a flat top to achieve this low of a c/r.

http://www.summitracing.com/streetandstrip/charts_guides/charts_scbasics.htm

Lots of other sites exist that offer blower psi versus compression ratio. May want to look them up as well.

This message has been edited by machoneman on May 3, 2009 7:43 AM
This message has been edited by machoneman on May 3, 2009 7:33 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login FE4RD)
Members

Beware of Australia...

May 3 2009, 8:46 AM 

...it is a lawless wasteland, not at all like the video in the link Craig has in his post! I have seen two movies about the Land Down Under.

This is what you can run into:

[linked image]

The police (MFP, for Main Force Patrol), are powerless to curb the violence. They drive Interceptor Falcons, & some are supercharged:

Mad Max- Opening Chase Scene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYLjlpP0NY

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Select Login Tommy-T)
Members

Gotta tell ya...

May 3 2009, 10:42 AM 

...I'm have'n a BLAST with my blown set-up. It's silly as hell, can't see where I'm go'n, and ALOT more violent than my 454ci 12:1 motor I had before. Good redneck fun!

A couple of things. When I went to Hampton to pick up my blower, I quiz'd him on carb set-ups. He asked me what I had on it now. I said " a 950hp Holley". He said "get another one, you can't over carb a roots blown motor...but they DO NOT like a restriction"! The 600hp's you have should be good for your 390, but I wouldn't go any smaller.

I have made a few 410 "stroker" 390's by milling L2291 TRW/Speed Pro pistons. You CAN take .060-.080 off the top and run 'em...but you gotta keep 'em outa DETONATION! They also tend to smash the ring lands together when detonated hard. I love the TRW slugs...but they have their limitations. Quench isn't nearly the issue with a blown motor, so down in the hole is OK. I strongly recommend using a A/F meter (like a LM/1) and keep 'er between 11.5-12.5. Fat is happy!

You guys have 98 octane pump gas? Cool! I mix pump/race gas 50/50 for crooz'n.

Have fun![linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login 63bird390)
Members

Hey Tommy

May 3 2009, 1:47 PM 

do you have more pics of the blower? damn that is sweet and a mad max lookin air cleaner.

.[linked image]
1963 thunderbird 416 tri power c6 3.89
1979 f150 466 mostly stock' my grandpa's old truck
1992 lincoln t-car
2003 dodge ram 1500

Respond to this message   
Todd
(Login ToddZC)
Members

Beware of 98 octane rating

May 3 2009, 8:41 PM 

Nice find Craig, that should look good in the XY.

Just beware that the 98 octane rating of BP Ultimate is a MON rating only, not like the (RON+MON)/2 octane rating used on pump fuel in the US. Our 98 octane BP fuel is only equivalent to US 93 or 94 octane pump gas.

Respond to this message   

(Select Login Tommy-T)
Members

I have a couple of blower cams...

May 3 2009, 3:08 PM 

...that I got from Oregon Cams. One that I have is pretty small and should work well with your "little" motor. Grind #77, it's .577 lift intake, .602 exhaust, 242 duration@.050, 252 exhaust on a 114 lobe separation. I'm run'n a little "bigger" profile than that in my bigger motor...but if I was to do it again...I'd probably put this little guy in.

Call Ken at Oregon, a regrind is only $85US. He's got a good price on lifters too.

Respond to this message   

(Login merc428cj)
Members

Thanks Tommy!

May 3 2009, 11:03 PM 

I'll shoot him an email. Do they also sell springs, retainers & matching collets as I need the whole deal??? Your little cam is faily wild compared to what I have run in the past on any FE including my 427 but is sounds like fun...Thanks again. Craig

63.5 427 8V Galaxie
XY GT clone 390
XR GT 1 of 596
35 ford 3 window coupe

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - This weeks find!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index