Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

High Gear Timing Retard

September 14 2010 at 2:03 PM

David J  (Login JamesonRacing)
Members

Was interested in your experiences with retarding the timing on a drag car in high gear. I'm getting the race car back on the track this weekend, and was contemplating adding a microswitch to the shifter to activate the timing retard on my 7AL-3 when I shift the C4 into third gear. Does it help? How much retard is enough?

thanks for your responses

66 Fairlane GT Silver Blue "BRUTE" Genesis 496/C4
66 Fairlane GT Nightmist Blue Survival 465/TKO600
66 F250 Camper Special Rangoon Red 428/4-speed
2000 Lincoln LS Sport Black 5-speed

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
john vermeersch
(Login johnvermeersch501)
Members

It does help maybe 3 to 5 degrees

September 14 2010, 2:36 PM 

as you lean out at max RPM....NOTE: When I was a we lad, swapping parts on DYNO DONS SOHC Maverick, he had a basic spark retard....A choke cable attached to the Mr Gasket( what else !!) shifter that hooked to the vacuum canister on the dizzy....good use for a canister !! Pulled it up in high gear to pull the timing back !!

Respond to this message   

Tim O'Connor
(Login 10w30dna)
Members

Early Ford trick/ Dyno Don suggested

September 14 2010, 5:08 PM 

We used to cut off/out the "extra" set of points out in high gear. It was fun to experiment,but no huge difference. Same ET/MPH. Try it..........maybe it will work for you. Don was running a LOT more RPM than I was. That might have been the difference!

Engines are like garages,never big enough! Check out my distributor restoration sites! New http://428cobrajetcars.com

Respond to this message   
Bobby Spears
(Login x4rdtech)
Members

I done that with my Fairlane and Maveric

September 14 2010, 8:37 PM 

I had a roto faze dizzy.It had two piece upper body that you loosen the two screws and you could set your basic timing without a light as it had degree marks there.So I done the choke cable thing but used a throttle cable as it was stronger,just had the screws loose enough that a quick jerk would retard it and I would play with a stop to see how much more or less retard would help.I could get another 2 to 3 mph depending on altitude.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by x4rdtech on Sep 14, 2010 8:39 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index