Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Blair Patrick 485

October 19 2010 at 7:16 PM
Jim M.  (Login hyper64)
Members

Here is my Blair Patrick built 485c.i. sideoiler. Blair was extremely professional, informative, and available throughout the process of the build. I live in the Northeast and he was able to help me get the motor to his shop in Tennessee with some guys heading south for gas money. After his initial evaluation he explained in detail what his plan was and how he was going to accomplish it. He completed the job on time, at the quoted price, and got it back to me for half of what normal shipping would be for something like this. I cant say enough good about Blair and this experience. A lot of us have had less than positive dealings with motor builders now and again but Blair is a first class businessman and FE authority.

Here is the build, Blair can comment further if he wants to.
Sideoiler block: 4.260 bore x 4.250 stroke, CP pistons 9.8 to 1, Scat crank (4.250), Scat (6.700) rods.
Edelbrock pn 6008 heads ported by Blair Patrick, 2.19 intake, 1.65 exhaust.
The cam is a custom flat tappet .670/.650 lift that was developed for the combo.
T&D rocker setup 1.8 intake, 1.75 exhaust, rockers oil through the pushrods with tool steel oil fed lifters.
Blue Thunder medium riser intake manifold (unported) with 2 Holley 1850s rebuilt by Blair. Those carbs went to him with issues and hard starting. Now the motor fires right up, is smooth and driveable, and the secondaries are very responsive.
Robb Mc adjustable fuel pump and a Canton 7 qt. pan with a Canton windage tray.
The motor made 668hp@6,100 and 653 torque@4500 on 93 Citgo. I have this motor in a 1964 Custom Sedan and it really is something.
I enjoyed this experience enough to give Blair my 428 which will go out to 464 and be installed in a 1967 Falcon with a C4 transmission. That should be an interesting ride. As soon as I can figure out how to do a video I will post it in the photo section.
Jim M.
[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
fordsel
(Login fordsel)
Members

always great to hear good news

October 19 2010, 7:24 PM 

that should be quite a ride!!

This message has been edited by fordsel on Oct 19, 2010 7:39 PM

Respond to this message   
Rodney
(Login falcon428)
Members

Re: Blair Patrick 485

October 19 2010, 8:47 PM 

Great to hear there are good men out there, I think there are quite a few on here I wouldnt be afraid of doing business with. Cool lookin ride too!! Sounds like a real good combo Blair built for you, should be a fun ride.

I am putting my '68 Falcon back together this winter, not sure whats going into this time, other than a 427 Fe/ 5 speed of some combination. Still searching my options. I have been wanting to play with turbo's on an Fe for sometime, so looking into that a little too. Yes you are right should be an exciting ride. I had a 428scj/C6 in it when it was first put together.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
'65 Mercury Comet w/ Pond Alum.427 (482c.i.) C6
'68 Falcon w/428cj
'61 Starliner w/352-C6
'67 Country Sedan wagon 289 (wish it had 390)
'62 Falcon awaiting 2.3L turbocoupe motor/T-5 tranny swap
Near future project is a '32 Roadster Fe powered based on a late sixties S/R.

Respond to this message   
Mike Gaffney
(Login gaffney1951)
Members

Sounds like ...

October 19 2010, 11:12 PM 

a very nice combo. Impressive #'s for a relatively low comp. engine. Should put a permanent grin on your face. Hope you have the brakes and suspension to match the HP. Mike

Respond to this message   

Wes Adams Ford428CJ
(Select Login ford428cj)
Members

Very nice!~

October 20 2010, 5:11 AM 

You got to love a squared engine (or close to it)! That is impressive in my book. Thanks for sharing!

"The Poor Mans 427"
http://www.fordification.com/poormans427.htm

"The F.E. Wiki Home"
http://fordfe.wetpaint.com/

[linked image]
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE
2000 Yamaha V-MAX VMOA#4277
2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
2001 Polaris 500 SP

Respond to this message   
Wreckless Warren
(Login pcode390)
Members

October 20 2010, 7:35 AM 

Blair has been building, tuning and racing these engines for a long time. Unfortunatly we often read of members negative experiences during an FE build due to poor work. Although there is alwalys the chance of an unforseen problem, having your engine built by Blair or one of the other experts here on the Forum provides a level of confidence to the guy paying for it.

Great looking engine, looking forward to the video. Good luck with it. ww

[linked image]

[linked image]

1965 Galaxie 500XL 445ci Stroker C-6
1965 Galaxie 500XL 390ci P-Code, 4-Speed
1965 Galaxie 500XL 289ci Cruse-O-Matic
2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L
2006 John Deer X320 Garden Tractor

Respond to this message   
FeWedge
(Login FeWedge427)
Members

October 20 2010, 10:43 AM 

That is sweeeeeet looking. Love the combo of white and dog dish hub caps.
Enjoy!

Rob

Respond to this message   
jim carlson
(Login jbcarlson)
Members

A couple questions..

October 20 2010, 2:29 PM 

Very impressive numbers for pump gas and dual plane intake with 600's. What is the duration @ 0.50 of the cam? Also, where did you get the valve covers? Are there repops available for the baldies?

Thanks,
Jim

Respond to this message   
Jim M
(Login hyper64)
Members

485 Sroker

October 20 2010, 5:48 PM 

Jim, the valve covers are not repops. Some years ago I was at a swap meet and those covers were on a 352. They had stickers on them that said Interceptor so I thought maybe they were from an early 352 Police or Marine motor. I don't have the duration number as that may be the one variable Blair hasn't disclosed. He can comment on this question if he chooses to. The motor is impressive. Thanks, Jim M

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

Jim's camshaft...............

October 20 2010, 6:26 PM 

is 256/263 at .050 with 108 separation. That isn't the whole story on the ramps, but that is the big picture. I didn't want to go too big with a heavier car. The tight centers and fairly short duration make for a peppy street driver. I used the tight centers for performance, but the added benefit is the ground pounding sound if you like that sort of sound(most of us do). I'm gonna go to New England on vacation so I can get Jim to take me for a spin. I'd like to see how it feels in the seat. Jim is a complete gentleman and a pleasure to work with. This was a win-win for everyone.

Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   

Barry R
(Login Barry_R)
Members

Sounds like a nice combo

October 20 2010, 7:15 PM 

Good job on that one. I also tend toward smaller duration cams for the exact same reason - keeps the cylinder pressure up for stronger midrange on the street. Should be a lot of fun.

Missed seeing you at EMC this year Blair. The way the rules were written this time around it was right up your alley - dual plane and a small carb. You'd have kicked azz. You'd have also recognized at least a few pieces from the entry I brought - heads from one year and intake from another. I need to do a write up on that one....

Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

Sorry I missed it............

October 20 2010, 9:24 PM 

I was disappointed that I had to withdraw this time. It was just too much pulling and tugging on my shoulder. I want to get it fixed after the first of the year. I have been told I don't need to tear it completely, and hoisting my fat @$$ in and out of the truck for a week straight would likely do it. The right one did well, so it's just the same fix for the left this time......rotator cuff repair. On the rules, it was more like my cup of tea this time. I'm not that fond of the hydro roller, but the engine I took in '08 did have a dual plane and a small carb, so I already had something to work with already. Looked like you represented the FE crowd well with your entry....good job on that. I will be curious to see what the 2011 rules will be. If all goes as planned, I will give it a go. I also need to drag my Super Stock car out in the Spring somewhere. I'm getting the itch pretty bad! There is a group of guys who come up here from the Atlanta area and spend the weekend on the lake with a variety of "hot boats". I had the door up last weekend and they were really singing across the water at my place. It sounded like ten or twelve dynos all running at the same time. Sweet music for some of us......and it made me want to get my junk going. My brother says "work hard, play hard, stay hard" so I think I may get back on that program.

Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   

Barry R
(Login Barry_R)
Members

Hope you get to do both

October 21 2010, 4:15 AM 

My "buddies" at the shop dragged my old street car out from the back room the other day and parked it's dusty carcass in front of the door to the build room so I need to walk past it every morning and night. I think the EMC engine might have a home.

I was also really worried about the hydro roller deal, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I essentially treated it like a solid and it ran past 6700 with no drama. Several guys did report lifter problems, but I think they were running really high spring pressures on really crazy cams due to the lift rule. I saw some lobes that were literally square.

Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

Respond to this message   

Blair Patrick
(Login CaptCobrajet)
Members

Several years ago...............

October 21 2010, 7:34 AM 

I was talking to Lloyd Bray at the races about how I wanted to quit pushing a pencil and build more engines. He said, "careful what you wish for, kid". I thought that was a strange reply at the time, but now I understand. That comment came from a guy who had been in business since the '50's building engines. He already new about all of the extra time it takes, and how I'd run out of time for my own stuff. I still wouldn't go back. It is much better to do something you have passion for as long as you can survive at it. I find now that I get enjoyment out of looking a Drag Race Central to see how my guys are doing, getting a few calls from the racetrack, and reading posts like this one from guys like Jim M. I may get out with mine, but if not I'll just help the guys who come my way. I know you know what I mean from the "dusty carcass" comment.

Blair Patrick

Respond to this message   
jim carlson
(Login jbcarlson)
Members

Thanks, yes I like the "parking lot appeal" too...

October 20 2010, 8:21 PM 

I had a similar grind in my Galaxie and verybody would turn their heads when I pulled into a cruise night. Really fun to go thru the 4 speed with that cam. I'm amazed at the kind of power you achieved for a street car....really great.

Jim

Respond to this message   
Paul Lovett
(Login Paul_Lovett)
Members

Awesome power with a flat tappet.

October 21 2010, 8:46 AM 

Very cool. Those tool steel lifters sound interesting.

paulie

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index