Login  /  Register  
  Home  -  Forum  -  Classifieds  -  Photos  -  Links     

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Do you need valve covers with breather holes in them when the tunnel port intake has a ...

November 22 2010 at 7:18 PM
Hemihunter  (Login all4rocks)
Members

breather in the back of it? Do i need breathers in the valve covers too?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login qikbbstang)
Members

The engine needs to have a lot of air flowing through the crankcase not just

November 22 2010, 7:52 PM 

the gasses that result from blowby. When the crankcase can not expell the humid vapors the oil holds water ,,,,,water in oil makes SLUDGE.
Hence the PCV system it sucks fresh air in through the breather, churns it in the crankcase and pulls it out past the PCV valve and on into the intake to be burned. This is actually one method of how dehydration of industrial oil is done.

Another thing the stink of fumes out of a crankcase are gawd awful if they get down the front cowl vent or into windows. You have full race car no PCV is fine your changing oil frequently. But if your just hoping the water/condensation will get out of a crankcase by a breather tube in a street car your risking a mess...

Respond to this message   
Hemihunter
(Login all4rocks)
Members

so what is the breather in the intake for? other intakes dont have these N/M

November 22 2010, 8:58 PM 

Respond to this message   

Beoweolf
(Login beoweolf)
Members

early model FE's did not have breathers in the valve covers.

November 22 2010, 11:26 PM 

... hence the name "baldies" given to 58 - 64(?) valve covers. The breather was in the intake manifold (it also was used as the oil filler), many racers would drill and install breathers in the valve covers. I think companies like Hilborn may still make them - usually out of aluminum.

Older engines like the Y-block, MELĀ also did not have breathers in the valve covers.

Respond to this message   

(Login MT63AFX)
Members

Other intakes don't 'move' as much air as TPs. My TP has pent-roof...........

November 23 2010, 3:57 AM 

.........VCs with pipe fittings with hoses connected at the collector for scavenging purposes. For a TP that's gonna putt-putt around town the rear breather may be sufficient, JMO, Rod.

Mickey Thompson's 63 1/2 #997 S/S Hi-Rise 427 Lgt/Wgt Galaxie,
1957 C-600 Cab-over carhauler w/390-4V, 2-speed rear-end
FGCofA member #4908
MCGC member #75

"There will ALWAYS be an FE in my LiFE"

Respond to this message   

qikBBstang
(Login qikbbstang)
Members

Re:"For a TP that's gonna putt-putt around town the rear breather may be sufficient"

November 23 2010, 6:24 AM 

RodC you simply do not have a clue about oil/condensation/water in an engine

Respond to this message   

Rod C
(Login MT63AFX)
Members

ROTFPMP, you're too effin' funny BB..............n/m

November 23 2010, 8:07 AM 

FGCofA member #4908
MCGC member #75

Respond to this message   

Beoweolf
(Login beoweolf)
Members

Not to forget, that huge chunk of metal whirling around in the the crank case.

November 22 2010, 11:35 PM 

...Windage trays have a use too. The motion of the crank assembly creates a lot of pressure in the engine, it needs an exit. I would not recommend starting up an engine without any breathers, draft tube or intake filler. That was a common mistake made when Ford made the change in 65 + engines. A guy might not notice that his older FE didn't have breathers in the VC when he installed the new whiz-bang late model FE intake - where do you put the oil in? Where does the pressure go?

Could that lead to severe engine damage? Inquiring minds want to know....

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)
Members

Street driven car or a dedicated racer?

November 23 2010, 11:48 AM 

For a racer, the rear intake breather should be fine.

However, if it's going to be a regularly driven street ride with lots of miles then rigging up a PCV valve (or the collector extractors) would be wise to prevent the oily mist that will accumulate under the hood and get pretty much everything messy over time.

Respond to this message   

(Login qikbbstang)
Members

How the hell does: "motion of the crank assembly creates a lot of pressure in the engine",

November 23 2010, 4:38 PM 

That is bazarr lets follow the logic - you rev the reciprocating mass up and it blows massive amounts of gasses out and then I presume if you turn it off there's an enormous sucking sound as the gasses rush back into the motors crankcase...

Respond to this message   
Hemihunter
(Login all4rocks)
Members

Does it make a difference which side of the engine has the PCV ? N/M

November 23 2010, 5:57 PM 

Respond to this message   
Bob
(Login machoneman)
Members

In a word.....

November 23 2010, 6:46 PM 

no.

The March, 1974 official Ford pic in this link may be helpful for "how to" ideas:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1068243112/crankcase+ventilation

You can also click on this Gessford link and look down the page a bit for using the pcv in the rear breather port. Be sure to click on the pic itself for a nice blow-up look:

http://www.gessford.com/cobraparts/fintakes.htm

And yes, if you use the rear port for the PCV, you do need a breather some where on the engine.

Respond to this message   

(Login qikbbstang)
Members

Nobody mentioned it but PCV Systems use a breather which allows

November 23 2010, 8:06 PM 

fresh air to be pulled through the motors guts by letting air in one valve cover and pulling the resulting gas mixture from the other valve cover . They do not simply pull a vacuum on the crankcase to pull the nasty gases out..

Respond to this message   

(Login MT63AFX)
Members

Not every FE has a PCV system. My TP 'breathes' through the filler tube and 'exhales'.....

November 25 2010, 6:03 AM 

..........out both valve covers to the header collector to be 'burned off'. My 63 427 had a road draft tube. I do not 'recycle' the crankcase fumes, Rod.

Photo taken in 1969:
[linked image]

FGCofA member #4908
MCGC member #75

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Do you need valve covers with breather holes in them when the tunnel port intake has a ...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index